This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry if it was free!

This morning I got an e-mail from a customer asking if he can buy certain licenses for a new piece of hardware he recently purchased. I write back, quote a price (some hundreds of Euros) and ask if I can please have the serial number of his [product] so I can already link the license to it and all he will need to do is just type the keycode in and have it all running.

He replies with a fairly long list of features that he would like to have on his [product]. Nothing out of the ordinary, all stuff one can need. And the serial number.

Checking the serial number, I notice that he has the newest version of the software already installed, and ALL BUT ONE of those feature are bundled in it at no extra cost (and for the extra one the price was under 25 Euros by the way).

I write him back explaining him that he already has all the features, he only needs to select them, explain him how to do so and giving him the keycode for the only not-bundled feature.

He calls back (a colleague picks up) pretty much RAGING that I didn't want to sell him some features he NEEDS and that he wants to report me to management. My colleague, who in the meanwhile had found his original request and seen what had happened, very gladly transferred him to our supervisor. Who proceeded to explain that... yes, that all those features are ALREADY on his new machine. At the customer's insistence, he said that he could indeed sell him all those licenses for the price of some hundreds of Euros, but that he wouldn't be able to use them as *the new version of the machine already has them incorporated*. When the genius asked again how can he buy them and have them activated, my supervisor suggested that he buys an older version of the product for over 1,000 Euro plus all the licenses, for a total price just short of 1,500 Euro. Or keep his new product (that had costed about 1,000 Euros, as he got a discount for having traded in his old one), use his FREE licenses and shut up.

I guess he might have selected the "shut up" option - but I wouldn't be 100% sure.
    Last edited by C. Cecil Ivanish; 08-27-2010, 03:34 PM.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Wait, he already has all this stuff...free with his new machine...and he wants to BUY THEM AGAIN??

Classic "unclear on the concept."
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You should have let him buy them! It was what he wanted, after all...
      I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
        <MR SNIPPY WAS HERE>
        He calls back (a colleague picks up) pretty much RAGING that I didn't want to sell him some features he NEEDS and that he wants to report me to management. My colleague, who in the meanwhile had found his original request and seen what had happened, very gladly transferred him to our supervisor. Who proceeded to explain that... yes, that all those features are ALREADY on his new machine. At the customer's insistence, he said that he could indeed sell him all those licenses for the price of some hundreds of Euros, but that he wouldn't be able to use them as *the new version of the machine already has them incorporated*. When the genius asked again how can he buy them and have them activated, my supervisor suggested that he buys an older version of the product for over 1,000 Euro plus all the licenses, for a total price just short of 1,500 Euro. Or keep his new product (that had costed about 1,000 Euros, as he got a discount for having traded in his old one), use his FREE licenses and shut up.

I guess he might have selected the "shut up" option - but I wouldn't be 100% sure.
        What an ID-IO-T!
        Last edited by iradney; 08-27-2010, 08:29 PM. Reason: please don't quote the entire post, we've already read it :)

Comment

A true example of someone that's so focused on achieving their goal a certain way, that they can't comprehend anything else.

That, or just a true example of stupidity.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            A true example of someone that's so focused on achieving their goal a certain way, that they can't comprehend anything else.

it seems nowadays the one leads to the other.
            Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Quoth houdini View Post
              And as we all know, "The customer is always right."
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                And as we all know, "The customer is always a right ass."
                Corrected for my amusement.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Or possibly he already ranted about the lack of functionality in front of his coworkers/subordinates, and getting a new version with the features installed for 1500+ euros is cheaper than the loss of face inherent to having to admit he was being a dumbass.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Wait, he already has all this stuff...free with his new machine...and he wants to BUY THEM AGAIN??
                    I can understand that he hadn't realised this (a clear RTFM case, I guess), but when I told him... well, I'd have expected him to say something like "oh, ops, sorry", or even "oh, nice, how can I activate them?"...
                    Quoth houdini View Post
                    Unfortunately we don't deal with sales here... but yes, my colleague should have transferred him to Sales.
                    Doesn't the first part imply the second?
                    Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    And as we all know, "The customer is always right."
                    Ah, right. ALWAYS.
                    Quoth Difdi View Post
                    Or possibly he already ranted about the lack of functionality in front of his coworkers/subordinates, and getting a new version with the features installed for 1500+ euros is cheaper than the loss of face inherent to having to admit he was being a dumbass.
                    ...also because it is very unlikely that he'd have to pay them out of his own pockets.
                    Point is, he apparently had paid for those functionalities in the past without batting an eyelid.
                    I am guessing that he was just unable to find/activate them (you just need to select each one and then click on "yes" to do so) and decided to try to make the tech support (NOT his reseller, mind, resellers are good, resellers make discounts) feel bad for it.
                    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Working...
                    X