This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the total? I'M GETTING THERE!

While reading the attachment at this thread, I remembered something that really gets on my nerves.

When I ring up photofinishing orders, it takes a couple of seconds for the register to look up the price. During this time, the words, "PHOTO LOOKUP..." appear on the customer-side monitor. Given that this is a REGISTER, and we are PERFORMING A TRANSACTION, I should think that the meaning of the phrase PHOTO LOOKUP is a fairly easy concept to grasp on one's own.

Yet customers never seem to get that. I scan their envelope[s], and while the register is busy looking up the prices, they ask me, "So, what's the total?"

To which I say, "$2,000."
    "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
    -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

At Maccas I get people who order several meals quite quickly - no problem there, I can remember it, it just takes a second for me to flip though a few different menus on my screen to put it all in correctly.

Sometimes I say, "one second," and then I give them their total very soon after. I always do that if they order fries, a burger and a drink separately, because I put them together as a meal deal so it's cheaper.

Most people give me that second to tap at my screen. But if I get a "how much?" you bet I'll repeat back to them what they ordered before giving their total. Annoyingly, I mostly get this from people who order a very simple meal, or even only a single burger, so the prices are right on the menu boards behind me! Can't you read? (Okay, I just like that smiley.)
    Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
    Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
    <3 Arrested Development

Comment

what i really love, is when somebody comes up, sets a bunch of stuff on the counter, and before i can ring up one thing, they ask,"how much is it?" oh, thats right, i know how much it will be because i memorized the prices of every product in the store, so i did the math in my head. your total is $25.93 plus $79.99 stupidity fee.

everytime they ask me how much it is before i rang in anything, i always tell them,"i have to ring it in first."

Comment

Could be worse...they could be asking for the total of one item at the dollar store.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Back at the Big F, people would order a good 9, 10 Kids Meals. Our system does not automatically give the discount; I had to manually enter "35 COUPON NUMBER Kids Pepperoni, 35 COUPON NUMBER 3@Kids Spaghetti", and so on... for each item. Yet, the SECOND they stopped talking, they were demanding a total.
          "Give me a second."
          "What's my total?"
          "You just ordered 9 meals, at least give me a second to enter the discount."

I said something to that effect shortly before quitting
          I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
          less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Quoth Ljt09863 View Post
            what i really love, is when somebody comes up, sets a bunch of stuff on the counter, and before i can ring up one thing, they ask,"how much is it?" oh, thats right, i know how much it will be because i memorized the prices of every product in the store, so i did the math in my head. your total is $25.93 plus $79.99 stupidity fee.

everytime they ask me how much it is before i rang in anything, i always tell them,"i have to ring it in first."

"Whoa! This isn't 'Rainman'!"

Comment

People throw their chips down on my counter and actually mean it when they say:

SC: So how much do I have?

Dude, I need like a few seconds to throw the chips in an order to which I can count... I can't just look and magically know the total! It's annoying.

Comment

Sometimes I say, "one second," and then I give them their total very soon after. I always do that if they order fries, a burger and a drink separately, because I put them together as a meal deal so it's cheaper.
                Someone needs to set up your Automatic Value Meals function. Once that's on, the register will combine all the items in the order into whatever meals makes it cheapest, and show the difference onscreen and on the receipt as "value meal savings". It's great not only for avoiding having to reenter grills, but for when you're not sure which way is cheaper (for example, Big Mac meal plus Filet-o-fish, or fish meal plus Big Mac? Breakfast meal plus one extra hash brown, or 2-for-$1 hash browns plus biscuit and drink? I don't know, but the POS does!)
                Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
                X