This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over familiar customers

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I get so very angry when customers call me with stupid little pet names, like 'lovey', 'darling', 'duck' etc.
    One old dear does this all the time, so I turned around to her and said 'Did you know my name isn't Darling?'
    She at least had the good grace to say sorry, but it just annoys me hugely. Yes, you shop in my shop, but to me, you're a customer. I have to be polite and helpful. That is as far as the 'relationship' goes.

oh yes! YES! I don't mind it when sweet little old ladies/men do it (that's just their way), but when someone that is only a decade older than me starts calling me "lovely" or "sweetheart", my hackles just rise! It also depends on the person I suppose
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I don't mind if older people do it to me. Or even older middle aged people. Really, it depends on who they are, but this is the south and people do that. Mostly, disrepect is not intended, and I look younger than I am.

I did have one asshole repeatedly call me "honey" and "sweetie" who could not use this excuse. He was my age, and may have even been younger. He was an arrogant lawyer type with an attitude.

Not a problem, really. I simply addressed him the exact same way, being impeccably polite the entire time.

He didn't like that one bit, and I could tell, but while he fumed and turned kind of purple, he didn't say word one about it. He didn't say anything to me because he wanted to pretend it didn't bother him. He didn't say anything to my boss because what was he gonna say? I was extremely polite. And if it wasn't okay to be addressed like that, then why was he doing it to me?

Sweetie was owned and he knew it.

Comment

GAH I HATE THAT. Granted, I'm male, so I don't get as many of THOSE comments, but I get plenty of "buddy", "guy", "bro", etc etc.. Ugh.

Comment

Under certain circumstances, I don't mind "pet names". However, I do get freaked out when I'm called "ma'am". I'm too young for that.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I got called "dear" by a customer who was 4 years older than me once. (I ID'ed her)

Comment

Quoth Scottya21 View Post
              GAH I HATE THAT. Granted, I'm male, so I don't get as many of THOSE comments, but I get plenty of "buddy", "guy", "bro", etc etc.. Ugh.
              I get that too. They call you buddy or are nice to you, when they want something, or done something wrong. But the second you give in, they get upset with you. I am not your friend, we are not going to be kicking it, sometime, later.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

My mother does that to waitresses all the time, and it embarresses me so much. It's like, they have nametags, if you have to call them something, call them by their names!
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

See, I don't mind because, when I was a waitress, I would call everyone doll and honey and darlin. If they looked like it bothered them, I would stop, but it's kinda of a habit. Because I don't always know their names so what am I supposed to call them?

I never do it to my waitress or to people who are in customer service or anything. Only when *I'M* waiting on *THEM*.

Would that annoy you too?
                  "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    Under certain circumstances, I don't mind "pet names". However, I do get freaked out when I'm called "ma'am". I'm too young for that.
                    Oh, yeah. I knew my age was finally showing when I went from being "Miss" to "Ma'am." I haven't been ID'd in 12 years. But the last time I was it was in front of my MIL and I was 36 at the time, and her snide remarks later made it quite clear she was envious. So very golden. I'll never forget it (obviously).
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

My personal pet peeve is "kiddo." I've been told I look young, but dang it, I'm twenty-five!!

Comment

Quoth Kelly Lynne View Post
                        My personal pet peeve is "kiddo." I've been told I look young, but dang it, I'm twenty-five!!
                        I call everyone kiddo. Even people that are like 10 years my senior. Hell, I call JESTER kiddo!
                        "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not "honey, sweetie, babydoll"! I don't know these people as well as that! One woman kept calling me honey in that very condescending way some people use when talking to somebody younger than them. Well, I happened to need to see her driver's license. Check this out, she was ten years younger than me! As far as I'm concerned, we are both here to conduct business. Those kind of endearments have no place in a business setting.

OT - I still get carded occasionally (I'm 37, ug!), but it doesn't seem to happen as often now that I've switched to glasses!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

It totally infuriates me when people call me honey or sweetie. I don't care who it is- if it isn't a blood relative or my husband, don't call me that. And, what also ticks me off is when someone addresses me by name- but shortens it into a nickname. I'm talking about strangers, pharmacists, waiters, etc. They read my name- for example- Elizabeth- and call me Liz.

Comment

Quoth Mighty Girl View Post
                              It totally infuriates me when people call me honey or sweetie. I don't care who it is- if it isn't a blood relative or my husband, don't call me that. And, what also ticks me off is when someone addresses me by name- but shortens it into a nickname. I'm talking about strangers, pharmacists, waiters, etc. They read my name- for example- Elizabeth- and call me Liz.
                              Mighty, I feel your pain. I hate hate HATE being called Liz, but tolerate it from family. Anyone else? Hell no.
                              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                              X