Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why yes, that is olive oil on my pants...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why yes, that is olive oil on my pants...

Yesterday made me so glad that I only worked one day of Labor Day weekend.

Cleanup On Aisle 3 A couple manages to drop a bottle of olive oil, that's not the sucky part. Watching the girlfriend burst into tears and clutch her boyfriend was. Having them stand there staring at the puddle while I'm trying to clean it up was. Commenting on how hard olive oil is to clean up was.

Pennies From Heaven An elderly woman comes in with her daughter and grandkids and asks if I mind her paying some of her total in change. Like an idiot I said yes. A dollar fifty in pennies, a bunch of crumpled ones, and a line of annoyed people commence.

Get Out A man comes in and buys a lot of stuff. He says no to a receipt and leaves. Ten minutes later, he shows up wanting to see it. After a futile attempt to find it in the garbage can, I print out a new one. He examines it and notes that I overcharged him for an item.

SC: What is this $9.00 charge on my receipt?
    Me: That is the prices of the milk
    SC: A gallon of milk costs $9.00?
    Me: No two of them cost $9.00
    SC: I don't understand, it only says $9.00 once.
    Me: Yes both gallons cost $4.50, together they are $9.00
    SC: But I thought it was on sale for $3.00
    Me: That's a different brand.
    SC: I'd hate to be a pain in the ass but I'm gonna grab the milk from the car and exchange it for the cheaper ones

If you hate to be a pain in the ass, stop acting like one.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
    Commenting on how hard olive oil is to clean up was.
    I have no idea how hard it is to clean that up, but I've seen some other messes that were nightmare. Like the time a jar of honey broke on the floor. The only way to clean it up was with extremely hot water to loosen it up. If the water started to cool, the honey would start to harden. And it wasn't just the honey that was difficult, it was also the bits of glass that were sticking in the honey and to the floor.

Another time, one of my coworkers accidently knocked a bottle of black dye onto the floor. It was a plastic bottle, but by sheer luck it came open. She managed to clean it up with bleach. Lots of bleach.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
      SC: I'd hate to be a pain in the ass but .......

If you hate to be a pain in the ass, stop acting like one.
      hehehe classic
      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
      -Red

Comment

Olive oil (or any other type of cooking oil) is a MASSIVE pain in the ass to clean up, and that's understating things. It takes forever and it's just about impossible to not leave a slippery spot on the floor.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Shoulda cleaned it up best you could, and then dumped a bunch of vinegar on it. Then mopped up the vinegar. It does a good job cutting grease.

Also, and this probably would not be practical for this application, but wood ashes would have sucked the grease right off the floor, and possibly turned it into a covenient soap while you were at it. I actually keep a jar of wood ashes handy for cleaning purposes.

Comment

Absorbent helps.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

what about kitty litter? it works good on motor oil, maybe it'll do the same for olive oil?
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

At my store, we sell TONS of different kinds of olive oils, most of them come in glass bottles, so needless to say, at least 2 to 3 bottles are broken a WEEK in our store.
                Because I am a floor person, alot of the times, a floor person will be called over to help clean up, we found using kitty litter to soak up as much of the oil as possible works. Then we'll use a square shape plastic snow shovel to scoop it up. Then it's onto bleach, which helps with the slipperiness of it. I remember when one of our managers decided to mop up the oil with water and a mop, good lord what a mess that was, not to mention it was a major safety issue because the moron spread the oil everywhere!

Comment

Olive oil, cooking oil, is easier to get up if you just sprinkle it with salt ,the salt absorbs the oil
                  "Light a fire for someone and he will be warm all day,
                  set light to someone and he will be warm for the rest of his life" Sir Samuel Vimes

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    but wood ashes would have sucked the grease right off the floor, and possibly turned it into a covenient soap while you were at it. I actually keep a jar of wood ashes handy for cleaning purposes.
                    Hmmm...so the next time I work in a grocery store I'll have a convenient excuse to use when I am unable to control my rather...pyrokinetic personality.

Comment

hehe the cleaners at the fast food place cut through oil very easily

Comment

I know you're not supposed to cry over spilled milk...I guess it's olive oil you cry over?

How old was this girl, anyway?
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                          Olive oil (or any other type of cooking oil) is a MASSIVE pain in the ass to clean up, and that's understating things. It takes forever and it's just about impossible to not leave a slippery spot on the floor.
                          It is . . . and even with non slip shoes, it can be a hazard to walk through.

Too bad the Kitty doesn't have that kitty-litter type stuff that WD used to have on hand . . . . I can't recall the name of it, but it was kept in a large blue barrel with wheels underneath it. We used it for oil spills on the floor. Seemed to work pretty good too IIRC.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

$9 for two gallons of milk! Geeze. Milk here costs $4 for two gallons. 5 if you get 3.

Comment

Quoth flutes_and_fabric View Post
                              $9 for two gallons of milk! Geeze. Milk here costs $4 for two gallons. 5 if you get 3.
                              Milk here is between 3 and 4 dollars a gallon, depending on where you purchase it.

Don't ask me about the eggs though . . . they've been going up again. I think the chickens and cows both asked for raises again.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X