This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A [Foul] Blast from the Past

About four years ago Mark "fired" one of our resellers, Mr. Sleaze. It wasn't so much for the way he treated us as for the way he treated his customers and potential customers who bought our software. He frequently misled people about the nature of his relationship with us (telling people he was a sole source or exclusive distributer when that is NOT the case) and played lots of games to fraudulently win bids for government sales.

After the sales, we'd end up having to clean up the mess.

When we decided to terminate the contract he accused Mark, who is Jewish, of being anti-semitic. Then he tried calling/emailing every employee of the company trying to pressure somebody to sell him stuff.

When that didn't work, he threatened to sue us for "impeding commerce."

Oh, it was fun. But it went away. He found greener pastures selling fake Rolexes (yes, really) and left us alone.

Until today. I got a call from him. He named his company and it sounded familiar, but I couldn't remember why I remembered it. He asked about buying an update for an end user and asked about the dealer price. So I looked him up in the database and found the address entry complete with large, bold, red warnings all over it. Oh, boy.

I told him we don't provide quotes for updates without a serial number (which is true) and he'd need to talk to Mark [Lastname] about dealer pricing. I guessed that Mark's name might be familiar and unwelcome to Mr. Sleaze.

Woudn't you know it? He didn't want to talk to Mark just then. He'd call back in a few minutes when he had the serial number for me and talk to Mark then. He took my name. I suspect he probably took my name so he could say "Dips" authorized whatever he tries to talk another employee into doing in a few days. He's done that sort of thing before; just because it never worked doesn't mean he won't keep trying it.

For the next hour and half until we closed, both Mark and I were jumping to get the phone in case it was Mr. Sleaze calling back. We both would have enjoyed the conversation immensely.

Alas, he didn't call back. In case he tries calling another day in the hopes that Mark won't be in (another pattern he has followed in the past), I sent out a company email telling all employees that any and all communication from Mr. Sleaze must be immediately referred to Mark and cc'd to me.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Update:

Mr. Sleaze waited a very long time, but he did call back today. He got Eugene and was immediately put through to Mark.

He had been buying from another source (a reseller) to get around the fact that we will no longer sell to him and it turns out that source refused him service as well.

He was actually quite cordial and merely asked for the names of some other resellers to buy from and Mark supplied a few names.

No threats to sue, no accusations of racism, no crazy demands.

Maybe he's learning?
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Nope, he's not learning. He's manipulating.

He's putting on a sweet facade in the hopes that you'll take him back under your wing. Once there, you'll have a honeymoon for a week or two and then he'll be the same old scumbag he always was. I've seen this happen many times.

Please tell us you're not considering doing business with him again.
      "Who is this preposterous snob?"

Comment

Quoth Ace of Diamonds View Post
        Please tell us you're not considering doing business with him again.
        No worries there, Ace. I don't know if he's trying to fool us or is actually accepting the consequences of his past actions.

It doesn't matter which it is, because the big boss has a long memory. Mr. Sleaze won't get dealer terms again under any circumstances.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
          Mr. Sleaze won't get dealer terms again under any circumstances.
          That's good to know.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
          X