Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This guy will be in for quite the surprise when he checks out.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This guy will be in for quite the surprise when he checks out.

Warning: The SC's remarks were racist.

He seemed like a typical non-sucky customer at first. And then he had to open his mouth.

Me: Asks for information
    SC gives information. Your hotel isn't run by an Indian, is it?
    Me: I'm not sure.
    SC: A lot of the hotels here in this area seem to be owned by an Indian.
    Me: ...
    SC: They all smell bad. It must be the food they eat or something. Maybe just bad hygene. Don't you agree?
    Me: I wouldn't know. I don't interact with them enough to know. (this is my attempt to avoid the subject.)

I give him his keys and he leaves.

I know perfectly well the nationality and ethnicity of my bosses. The parents are native born India while the son was U.S. born. None of them fit the stereotype he has of Indians.

Shit is going to hit the fan. What happens when you combine a racist customer with a spined manager who's of the race customer is racist against?
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
    What happens when you combine a racist customer with a spined manager who's of the race customer is racist against?
    something that needs to be videotaped. hopefully him getting tossed out of the hotel on his racist ass.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

it is and isn't racist; the ownership and odor issue is, but to be fair, foods with certain items in them (some spices, garlic and onions) do produce an off odor after digestion.

as far as poor hygiene goes, that knows NO bounds.
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
        it is and isn't racist; the ownership and odor issue is, but to be fair, foods with certain items in them (some spices, garlic and onions) do produce an off odor after digestion.

as far as poor hygiene goes, that knows NO bounds.
        I'm pretty sure theyre not cooking up authentic indian cuisine in the hotel lobby. the guy was making a racist generalization about a group of people based on their ethnicity. Thats racist. The guy didn't (doesnt) even know if the hotel is owned by an Indian which makes it obvious that the hotel does not smell like whatever the offending smell is.
        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I know plenty of "people of ethnicity" who don't eat foods associated with their ethnic groups. Nothing but racism leads people to make comments like that.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Ugh. Nothing burns me up more than racist or bigoted asshats.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

i agree, in this case it was overwhelming stupid with a large side of racism.

quite frankly, i'll take food based odor over the 'i rarely wash and marinade in perfume/cologne/use cheap malodorous body spray.' food based doesn't curl my nose hairs like the unwashed/marinaded do.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                Shit is going to hit the fan. What happens when you combine a racist customer with a spined manager who's of the race customer is racist against?
                It measures on the Richter scale. I know from experience, working for the Gujarati family that owned Motel Hell. The wife ran the business and contrary to what she told me of the demureness expected of Indian ladies, she was ruthless and mean enough to have run the Mafia if she felt like it. You did NOT want to get on her bad side. If ever a guest did, and especially if the guest ever committed the unpardonable sins of accusing her of being Pakistani or of telling her to go back to her own country*, sometimes other guests would hear the screaming and would creep, worried, to the lobby to peek in and see if perhaps they needed to call the police.

*Once an angry guest did tell her to go back to where she came from, and she must have been in a good mood because, without missing a beat, she said calmly, "I come from Cleveland," -- which was where she and her family moved first when they came to the US. This flustered the guest and he went away.
                Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I wanna watch! Oh tape it, and put it on youtube!

Comment

quite frankly, i'll take food based odor over the 'i rarely wash and marinade in perfume/cologne/use cheap malodorous body spray.' food based doesn't curl my nose hairs like the unwashed/marinaded do.
                    While I will almost always agree with this sentiment, there are a few spices out there that when eaten regularly by a person will make that person's body odor make me nearly vomit. I've had friends that I've had to hold my breath around because of this. Not fun.
                    ^-.-^
                    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 09-16-2010, 04:18 AM. Reason: Potentially troublesome comment
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Agreed. Plus, if you've got good hygiene, food odors are much less noticeable, in my experience.

Does your lobby have a camera setup, perchance? I think the inevitable meeting might prove...entertaining.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Does your lobby have a camera setup, perchance? I think the inevitable meeting might prove...entertaining.
                        It does. It could prove to be VERY entertaining.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          A manager who needs an award for the awesomeness of the confrontation that will ensue?

The guy probably won't say anything. Most people who are racist know that their remarks are socially unacceptable. (aka "People are too politically correct, and don't want to risk saying anything that can be offensive, whether or not it's true", not that only people who are racist say that). They just assume that all sensible people feel the same way, and therefore there's nothing wrong with saying it. A lot of them wouldn't say anything if they thought someone would get offended, because that would just be drama. Which is a bit of a shame in this case, because he needs to be put in his place.
                          Last edited by Magpie; 09-16-2010, 01:39 PM.

Comment

*waits for the update*

i'm thinking it will be beyond entertaining.
                            look! it's ghengis khan!

Comment

I looove Indian food. And I'm white as the driven snow.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X