This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got to tell off an SC!

I got an SC today, in the morning, right after I'd opened. I got four hours of sleep last night. It's really freaking cold, and windy. Worse, it was supposed to rain, but the wind picked up and blew all my clouds away. I love rain, I hate wind. I wanted to be home in bed. I was in a really, REALLY bad mood.

So in comes the SC with her SC friend. She's got some knitting needles she wants to return, because she took them home and realized she already had that size. Now, at my store, we don't accept returns on needles, because there can be a problem with people buying needles, using them to make their projects, and then returning them and using the credit to buy the next pair they need. We're not a pattern library, and we're not a needle library, either. Our return policy is printed on a card in huge letters, and the card is taped to the counter. It's also printed on every single recipt. Being the manager, I can choose to make exceptions, but I didn't know this lady, and looking at the recipt, I saw that she bought the needles over two weeks ago. Two weeks to get them home and realize she's got a pair the same size? So the following conversation took place:

SC: You know who.
    SCF: The SC's sucky friend.
    Me: Me!

Me: I'm sorry, ma'am. We don't accept returns on needles.

SC: WHAT?! I've never heard of such a thing!

Me: It's been the policy for the last couple of years at least. We had some problems a while back with people buying needles, using them for their projects, and returning them.

SCF: Do these needles look used to you?!

Me: I can't tell if they've been used or not, ma'am. That's the problem.

SC: Well I've ever heard of such a thing, ever! You should take the return!

(Usually I'm happy to repeat myself in a grovelling, apologetic voice until the cows come home, but, as I said, I wasn't in the mood. I fixed the SC with my 'Adult losing patience with a misbehaving child' look, which I have been told is downright terrifying.)

Me: I'm surprised that you haven't, since the policy is printed clearly on the recipt you have in your hand.

SC: *stares, gapes*

Me: *not sounding sorry* I'm sorry I couldn't help you.

At this point, the SC pulled the "I'm never coming back here!" line, except instead of flinging it at me like a grand threat, she turned to leave and mumbled it to herself as she went. She was so intimidated that she didn't even have the courage to say it to my face. It'll probably be a while before she has the nerve to come and bother me again.

But since the EveryPlace Else shop returns everything, she thought you have to also. Once, we had someone return an Open DVD. Of course we have signs up, and also printed on the receipt, that all sales are final. I was not working that day, and ofcourse that guy got it returned. And to make it even worse, we are suppose to check it infront of the customers, and The Owner did not do it. What part of All Sales Are final, can you not understand. I rip the owners a new one, when I found out. We do not take them back, without checking it, just incase, the DVD is different, or fake.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

My, oh my! That is a good one! I've created similar threads on this type of thing, like people who return DVD's after they've watched them, or people that buy video cameras, then return them two weeks later after they used it on their vacation. A while back, when I was at Best Buy, this lady came in to return a steam cleaner that she claimed had a busted motor. She didn't even bother to clean the insides of it being you could see the gunk in it. This gunk was quite a handful, meaning it looked as if she cleaned her furniture and/or carpet for quite a while before it "broke". What a scene it was. Number one, they were not happy she was trying to return a dirty steam cleaner, and number two, they plugged it in and found it worked fine. This proved she had bought it with the intention of cleaning her house, then returning it. So, she couldn't go to the local Publix and rent one? She still could have saved herself some money by renting a machine, and now she's stuck with this one she tried to return. I was shocked she didn't try to get compensation on the cleaning agents, but Best Buy doesn't sell those.

Comment

Arachne, I bow down before you.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

<snicker> I was shopping at Michael's Monday, and I overheard a manager talking to a cashier...he had observed a woman get out of her SUV and proceed to load up a big, fake palm tree into a Michael's cart...she was obviously getting ready to bring it into the store to return it. He turns to the cashier and says, "I guess her party is over". I about died dead from laughing! So predictable...

Comment

How can people possibly think that this is okay?! I can almost (ALMOST!) understand it with needles, because people might rationalize it, thinking that they're not that expensive and we can always re-sell them. But open DVDs? Steam cleaners? Exactly how do people think that their behavior is acceptable?

The mind boggles.

Comment

Quoth Arachne View Post
              How can people possibly think that this is okay?! I can almost (ALMOST!) understand it with needles, because people might rationalize it, thinking that they're not that expensive and we can always re-sell them. But open DVDs? Steam cleaners? Exactly how do people think that their behavior is acceptable?

The mind boggles.

Simple....they're stupid.
              Oh, "Blah blah blah 'Your Needs'!"

Comment

Quoth Arachne View Post
                How about computers or cameras?

That's exactly why most major electronics stores have that 15% (give or take) re-stocking fee. They have to sell the returned item at a discount because it's open, sometimes after several weeks of it sitting around waiting to be serviced while all the new ones get sold until the model is discontinued. And some people just want to use the computer or camera or whatever while they're on vacation, then return it.

We actually have one regular who does this frequently. He doesn't mind the restocking fee and considers it just a rental. This guy's fairly cool about it, though, and he oftens buys (read that as "rents") stuff that has already been returned by someone else. We let him get away with it because he's a nice customer and frequently makes large purchases of DVDs or networking equipment.

But we did have one Hispanic family sometime last year try to return a laptop. It's a good thing we checked the box. They bought a nice, new Toshiba. In the Toshiba's box, they were trying to return a four-year-old dirty and broken Gateway model that we never even carried as a company, let alone in this store. They couldn't understand why they couldn't return it. (This was not a language problem--they spoke fluent English, albeit with an accent.) It was entertaining for me to watch on a slow night...
                - Customer Service rep denies the return.
                - SCs complain.
                - Customer Service supervisor inspects the contents of the box and denies the return.
                - SCs argue and complain.
                - SCs call a friend who is supposed to speak English better.
                - SC Friend argues and complains.
                - Manager comes over, hears both sides, looks in the box, and says: " Ha ha! No."
                - Manager walks off, leaving SCs speechless.
                - SCs take their broken Gateway back home, only to return the Toshiba (we checked--it was the real thing) the next day, complete with 15% restocking fee.
                I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                - IPF

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm betting she didn't think you were up to the "challenge" of standing up to her- evil little wench that she is.

You rock!

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                    - SCs take their broken Gateway back home, only to return the Toshiba (we checked--it was the real thing) the next day, complete with 15% restocking fee.
                    Too bad they couldn't have been refused the Return considering their previous attempt at Fraud.

I had a an SC try to return a cordless drill battery charger one time. Had the receipt, item was in the package. He claimed he had bought two of different brands (can't remember, for sure, if the other one was on the same reciept, I think it was). I paged the tool guy before I even started looking at the charger. We start looking at it and notice the guy had not only written his initials on itin black marker pen, but etched them on with an engraver as well.

When we pointed that out, the guy says "I always mark my tools right away when I get home". I asked "Why would you do that in this case when you knew you'd be returning at least one of the chargers?" Guy hems and haws and comes up with some lame reason. As time went on, and I kept studying the charger, I notice it was a different Model No. than what was on the package. He tries to claim it must have been mispackaged at the Factory, or by us.

He must realize he's busted, but he just keeps going round and round with us. He starts looking through our Return Policy pamphlet (probably looking for where it states that a Customer's used product may not be returned after they purchase the new one.)

I dunno if I were ever to choose to do something fraudulent like that, I think once I realized my little scheme had been figured out, I'd quietly walk out of the Store, embarrassed with myself, and never set foot in the place again.

Mike
                    Meow.........

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                      - SCs call a friend who is supposed to speak English better.
                      Ahh yes, the "understand english 'til you tell them a policy" type of customer.

Comment

Usually, when I buy knitting needles (as well as crocheting hooks) they are usually in a package where you pretty much have to ripe it up in order to use the needles and so it's easy to figure out if they are used. Well, I'm assuming those needles were in a ziplock bag or just had a tag on them (well, at least something) where you can't tell if they been used. I'm not quite sure if there are other ways to sell kntting needles unless they are in little cubby holes or something like it.

Anyway when I was still cashering we did have one woman try to exchange several pairs of underwear for the right size and they return ones all had their tags off so she couldn't return them (we can't sell them since other customers will think they are used, duh not to mention there is no bar code on them either). The AM tells her this and of course, the customer gets pissed about it, agrues about it with the AM. I don't remember if she brought the other ones or not. Well, now she also was exchanging/returing a bunch of other stuff I guess she found out she didn't need or wasn't right for her which kinda tells what kinda of customer she is.
                        Last edited by rdp78; 01-19-2007, 02:28 AM. Reason: added somethings
                        Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
                        My space
                        Facebook

Comment

Working...
                        X