This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kristev View Post
    Well, I don't know how you'd swipe my passport, because that is my I. D., but then again, I don't by alcohol anymore.
    Passport isnt valid ID in california to buy booze.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
      really?

but then what do you do if you don't drive a car?

Here in England my ID is a learners permit I forked out for when I could just so i'd have a form of ID, its 11 years old now but still good as ID (and more convenient than a passport)

This is why I liked the idea of ID cards they were going to implement but then the government cancelled it cos it was too controversial
      "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
      Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
        You get an ID.

You can go into any DMV or most banks and get just an ID card that will have the same ID number as a license, but is only for identification purposes. They look very similar with some notable differences.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Perhaps we can get the ever-popular Jester to regale us with a rendition of his always stirring tune, "Show ID"?

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
            Like others said, get a state issued ID. Even if you don't need one to buy booze or cigs, some stores won't even accept Passports as a valid ID on credit cards and checks. One Candian couple not too long ago came through my line and tried to use their Passport on a Travelers Check and we couldn't accept it. While it was very much valid, it didn't have a couple pieces of information on it for us to accept it.

I always keep my license on me, I don't think I've ever gone without it unless it was to a family member's home or to the pool down the street. Never know when I'll need it, I know exactly where it is and can get it out quickly.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              You get an ID.

You can go into any DMV or most banks and get just an ID card that will have the same ID number as a license, but is only for identification purposes. They look very similar with some notable differences.

^-.-^
              Not only that but in most states they are valid longer than a DL (10 years Vs. 4 years here in Illinois). Illinois ID's look so similar that they are commonly mistaken (several tellers admitted as much when I did their returns).
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                Really? Several restaurants and bars in Santa Barbara accepted my (non-US) passport as valid ID.

ETA: on reflection, they may actually have been looking at the US visa, which also shows DoB, rather than the passport's details page.

Also:
                Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                Even if you don't need one to buy booze or cigs, some stores won't even accept Passports as a valid ID on credit cards and checks. One Candian couple not too long ago came through my line and tried to use their Passport on a Travelers Check and we couldn't accept it. While it was very much valid, it didn't have a couple pieces of information on it for us to accept it.
                Surely travelers checks are, by their very nature, likely to be used by travelers, who are going to be using passports as ID?
                Last edited by turing; 10-03-2010, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I never used to get IDed as a kid of thirteen, when I used to go into shops and buy smokes. Back then, the legal age to buy smokes was sixteen... and at thirteen, due to being tall and well developed up top, I did look sixteen. At fourteen, I could pass as eighteen and was served in pubs.

Weirdly, the moment I hit eighteen, I started being IDed and had to start carting my passport around everywhere, cuz I didn't drive back then. Sometimes, I'd be IDed in the exact same shops (and once or twice, by the exact same people) who'd happily served me as a thirteen year old. O_o
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                    I always like to have my ID on me. Is it morbid that I do so because I'd want to be properly identified by the hospital if something happens to me? Not that it would help with diagnoses or anything, but it'd be nice.
                    Wow, I thought I was the only one who kept ID for that reason! You never know if you'll be in the middle of a horrific accident and need to be ID'd!
                    Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

I carry several things routinely which could identify me - passport, UK provisional driving licence (otherwise useless here), and several debit cards. Also some business cards, which I very occasionally use to avoid having to spell my name and phone number out loud.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                        I always like to have my ID on me. Is it morbid that I do so because I'd want to be properly identified by the hospital if something happens to me? Not that it would help with diagnoses or anything, but it'd be nice.
                        I do the exact same thing, except I bring my Medicare card with me. In Quebec, it means I get free health care. I've also been tempted to get a tattoo on my stomach (because even if you break your leg, doctors will take your shirt off :P) that gives my name, blood type, Medicare card number, and emergency contact information. I'm not paranoid, I'm prepared.

Comment

Quoth CiggyStoreClerk View Post
                          I do the exact same thing, except I bring my Medicare card with me.
                          Yeah, I keep thinking that i need to be better about carrying my OHIP card (Ontario's health card).

Comment

Working...
                          X