This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Magpie View Post
    You also, as Mr. Hero mentioned, get companies that book blocks of rooms at the hotel where they're holding their holiday party so that the employees can get a good rate if they feel the need to stay over that night. (I think this is because if the employees live far away then the shuttle services aren't going to suffice?)
    No it's so if the idiot drives drunk and gets caught or kills/injures someone, they can't blame and sue the company. Since the company arranged affordable hotel rooms, the entire onus goes onto the idiot. They didn't have to drive impaired.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
      No it's so if the idiot drives drunk and gets caught or kills/injures someone, they can't blame and sue the company. Since the company arranged affordable hotel rooms, the entire onus goes onto the idiot. They didn't have to drive impaired.
      That's what the shuttle is for. I was trying to figure out why they needed more than shuttle and cab chits to cover their liability.

Comment

I sincerely hope my city doesn't blacklist locals from getting a room.

If I didn't have family just 10 miles away, I would have needed a room for the days that they were re-paving the parking lot here, and days that they were cutting down trees and putting in new wheelchair ramps. I work nights, so obnoxious noises during the day means no sleep. And I wouldn't be there at night, so I wouldn't be able to make noise.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It's been years, but I rented a room in my town a few times. At the time, I was renting a room in a house. The woman who rented the house turned out to be a an alcoholic, a nice drunk, but still annoying. The real problem was her psycho boyfriend. It threatened every guy who came in the house (I'm sure he was on steroids; he had the look), including my friends and boyfriend. The last couple weeks before I moved out, my boyfriend and I rented a room so we'd have someplace safe and quiet to sleep. Frankly, my BF could come over during the day and we did whatever in my room, but at night landlady's psycho BF would come over, so to literally sleep together was getting scary.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

It's not that we blacklist the locals, it's just that most of our Do not rent and most of the trouble, comes from the locals. They pay to stay there and have their flings (3 crazy ex's or fiancees in 3 months time.. trust me, it's not worth it and the desk clerk wants to KILL you when we find you for making us deal with your SO.)
            Our locals also think that since they're in the 'same town' they should get cheaper rates. No no. That'd be favoritism. Pay up!

Comment

Many on our DNR list are locals. Not all locals are bad, of course, since some have very legitimate reasons to rent a room (remodeling, power outage, staycation, etc). The ones that cause the most trouble tend to be local drug dealers, prostitutes, and drunk partiers. So yeah, I am a little dubious when someone checks in with a local address. The bad locals kind of ruined it for the good ones.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                The bad locals kind of ruined it for the good ones.
                ^ This I totally agree with.

Comment

I would totally rent a suite in town (or near town) for a party or something but that would mainly be so that my freinds don't have to see how cluttered my place is, I'd make sure that we didn't get too loud or make a mess.

Comment

I am sure the local hotels do rent to the locals. we have one that has a nice indoor water park and several of the more upscale one have nice pool area with a few slides and such. some of their off football season (ie. during school holidays and vacations) comes from locals doing a weekend "getaway" or stay-cation.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

In my professional experience, I'd split locals into 3 groups:

Group 1: Maybe 10%. Those who have a perfectly understandable reason for spending a night at a hotel even though they live nearby.

Group 2: About 45%. Cheating on their S/O. These ones rarely cause any problems, but want to make absolutely sure no charges appear on their credit card statement.

Group 3: About 45%. Planning to have a loud drunken party, leave a huge mess, and not wanting to clean up after themselves or piss off neighbors/landlords they have to see everyday. I love kicking these assholes out, and nothing makes me enjoy my work more than getting one arrested.
                      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I've stayed in local hotels twice. Once when I was moving into my current place, and once when I had a fight with my roommate and decided I was tired of the drama and got a cheep hotel just so I could sleep without him being a douche (he damned near had to be removed by cops... he was threatening violence if I made him actually pay the rent... yeah, real winner there).
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                          Group 1: Maybe 10%. Those who have a perfectly understandable reason for spending a night at a hotel even though they live nearby.
                          I've stayed at local hotels on two occasions. Both were during vacations, and I wanted a vacation from those I currently live with as well. So I fit in this. Peace and quiet = priceless.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I've stayed in local hotels before.

The vast majority of the time it's because I'm attending a convention, since my thrice-yearly gaming convention is about a half hour drive from home. But since I help run the video gaming room and tend to be up playing games on the consoles and computers till all hours, it's better that I just take the bed I get for working.

The one other time I stayed in a local hotel, well.... The way my relationships have been, it's nearly impossibly for me to actually cheat... though others may see it that way.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I once considered getting a hotel room in Boise (the big city in Idaho) because I was exhausted from walking in Boise most of the day, and was afraid of missing the last bus home to Caldwell (small city). That was in my paid stay-cation, where in I didn't do much, but started going to Boise for a couple of days. I still had a few days left, and I almost considered getting a hotel room so I wouldn't have to fear missing the bus that night. But in the last act, I caught a bus that got me most of the way home, so . . .

But I think that would have qualified under the 10 %, wouldn't it?
                              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I have a friend who went to a hotel for the night because her landlord's teenager was throwing an unsupervised party that was scaring her slightly (she didn't have a lock on her room door, and the only way she would have had to deal with some of the trouble that was potentially going to start would have been to hurt the kids, they were a lot bigger than her, and even a brown belt sometimes has to resort to hurting people). However, her ID would have listed her address as being out-of-province, so they never even knew that she was local.
                                Last edited by Magpie; 09-27-2010, 01:38 PM. Reason: easier to read if I don't leave clauses out.

Comment

Working...
                                X