This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geez...talk about greedy!

We sell magazines at work, our own 'in store' magazine, with celeb interviews, recipes, that sorta rubbish. We started giving away freebie cosmetics on the cover about three issues ago.
    The previous issue hadn't sold too well, and so when we threw them away, the boss told us to take off the free lipsticks and put them in a jar, to use as extras for the people who bought the next issue.
    So we had a big glass jar with about twenty of these lipsticks in.
    Yesterday, a 'customer' (who never bought amything yestarday) asked how much those lipsticks were. Zara (our Saturday girl) said they were freebies, so then this woman picked up the jar and emptied the whole lot into a carrier bag that had been left on the counter, picked it up and walked. With the whole lot, having not bought a single thing.
    Her excuse was that 'she gives them to the needy'. Okay, so let's say you're really needy, you'd want food, or warm clothes, or some money right? WRONG. What you want is a pink lipstick, as that'll make things seem a whole lot better *bangs head on desk*

Oh man, there's at least one bad reason why a "needy" person would need to look good...but I won't go there.

Then another reason a needy person would need to look presentable - job interviews - that way they're not needy anymore.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Gah, she's problably got plenty of money too.

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
        Then another reason a needy person would need to look presentable - job interviews - that way they're not needy anymore.
        It is a common assumption that "needy" means only the most basic supplies of food and shelter should be provided. Many "needy" people need nicer clothing and the grooming items society now expects in order to get a job that pays enough to get them out of the "needy" status.

Whether the woman Crazydaisy encountered was honest about her intent to give them away is another thing. Few persons who collect for the needy act so grabby. Usually they explain what they need and ask permission rather than just taking it.
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

My mom is a cosmetician and she always collects all the freebies her reps bring in and brings them to a women's shelter. Some of these women had to leave their homes very suddenly and didn't have a chance to pack anything. Donating lipstick sounds silly, but it can do wonders for a woman's self esteem.
          With that said - why in the world did this lady not just explain what she was doing and ask politely for them?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Obnoxious witch.

I would have told her to put them back unless she wanted to be arrested for stealing.

ust because they were free does not mean she can take as many as she wants. They still belong to the store.

Yet another reason I do not like very many people...

Comment

For awhile during the holiday season, we had a shipment of photo markers that we gave a way with photo card orders. A lot of customers tried to buy them, but I wouldn't let them 'cuz we needed them to get customers to buy photo cards.

Now that the season's over, they're still free if you buy photo cards, but you're welcome to buy one if you just want the marker.

So far, every promotion I've done at my lab, the free item is usually not something customers would ever want unless it were free. But in every case, if a customer did just want the freebee, he'd have to pay a nominal price for it.
              "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
              -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

We have a take-a-penny-leave-a-penny sort of thing.. occasionally other small change manages to make it in there. I *hate* it when people take the quarters and such out of there... there goes my tip! bastards! IT SAYS TAKE A *PENNY*!!1

Comment

Quoth Scottya21 View Post
                  I *hate* it when people take the quarters and such out of there... there goes my tip! bastards!
                  Hey, if you don't want them to take it, don't leave it on the counter....
                  "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
                  -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

The lipstick lady could've handled it MUCH better.

PINK, you say? Icky. I'm still looking for a spifftacular red/black...
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I would have loudly spoken up and said, "Ma'am, they're given away free ONE per CUSTOMER... you have to BUY something first!"
                      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                        Some of these women had to leave their homes very suddenly and didn't have a chance to pack anything. Donating lipstick sounds silly, but it can do wonders for a woman's self esteem.
                        This, specifically, is why I give my clothes I'm not wearing any more (I don't want to say "old" because I take VERY good care of my clothes and most of them could be used for years to come) to a shelter group here intown rather than to a thrift store or consignment shop. The group helps women get basic training to do jobs (you know, answering phones, basic computers, ect) and helps them get interviews and such and then gives them (and children) a place to stay til they're on their feet. They don't charge rent or anything and all they ask is that the residents all pitch in on chores (including cooking, cleaning and child care) and give back if you can later in life.

I was never in that position but I know people that were. And even small things like make up or hand me down work clothes CAN make the difference in how a woman carries herself and whether she gets a job.

That being said, I doubt this woman was anything like that. The women who run that shelter would NEVER just take something -- they would always explain the situation and ask permission.
                        "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

I've been to conferences and such where they asked us to pool the shampoo, soap and things (That are replaced daily anyway) from the hotel to donate to a women's shelter in town. I thought it was a bit weird, because we're not actually donating anything, the hotel is... but I do often buy several bottles when shampoo goes on sale for $0.99 at my local store for a local crisis centre (and when tp and such goes on sale really cheap).
                          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                          X