Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wherein my manager is (technically) guilty of insubordination...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein my manager is (technically) guilty of insubordination...

If you've followed my posts over the last couple of years you'll know I've written many times about our Area Manager. This woman is apparently lacking any spine whatsoever based on a number of incidents. Notably my prior post about when she allowed a customer to return a Console when they had NO RECEIPT for and get CASH back.

Even my managers have been upset by her flagrant flaunting of policy and don't like being made to look like idiots by her because they follow the rules.

But a couple of days ago we hit a turning point with her.

A guy called me and said he bought a PS3 for someone back on 9/12 and he opened it and played it but has now decided he would rather get an Xbox 360. Amazingly, this customer has actually read our return policy (which states such returns are not allowed) but wants to know if (surprise!) there's any way we can make an exception for him. I tell him no. He keeps bitching about it and asks if there's anyone higher he can take it to. My manager was off for the day so the only thing I could was give him my Area Manager's number.

For the record, our official return policy is there are absolutely NO refunds or exchanges (except for defective replacements) on opened new product ever. Accessories are exempt from the rule. Games can not be returned and consoles can not be returned except as a trade in for store credit (in which case you will get no more than half the value of the item back even if you only bought it yesterday).

After I got off the phone, I sent my Area Manager an email letting her know about the situation.

Some thirty minutes later, I get a response from the Area Manager and I bet you can guess what it said: "Go ahead and do the return and sell the PS3 he brings back with an open stock discount."

For the record, I've spent four years working at Games stores and in all that time I have NEVER seen a system sold under an open stock discount. It just doesn't happen.

So you might think he brought it back and we begrudgingly did the return but here's where it gets interesting:

He never showed the day he called and I left a copy of the email for my manager to see in case he showed up early the next day before I was in. He didn't and when I asked my manager about it when I got to work what she told me was rather surprising:

She said if the customer came back she would refuse to do the return as it goes against our official policy and should not have been approved in the first place. She said if the Area Manager wants to go ahead and write her up for following policy then so be it, but she'll fight it with everything she's got.

She also has the backing of myself and our assistant manager on this.

This could get interesting...
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I've read a few stories here of how people would get disciplined for following policy and it always pissed me off. I'm glad your manager plans to fight this with everything she's got.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Oh my word. I am not shocked, but I should be.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I just don't see why a company even bothers to have policies if they're not going to follow them. OK there will always be the truly exceptional circumstances, but that's what they should be - exceptional. Kudos to your manager - maybe she could tell the Area Manager where she got her spine from?
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
          I just don't see why a company even bothers to have policies if they're not going to follow them.
          Because the policies are only for nice people for read, understand, and follow them.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Do post updates . . .

They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Could your storge manager forward the Area Manager's e-mail to her boss?

Maybe there's no point if this guy never shows up, or it would cause more trouble than it's worth, but since you have her flagrant opposition of policy in writing maybe it'd be worth going higher?

Comment

Check privacy laws for where you are. Some (I know in Canada the federal one is this case) actually forbid accepting returns of anything containing a storage medium unless you have the facilities to purge all data on it, which has very strict regulations such as a private area and a bondable employee. Seeing as most game stores are, for lack of a better term "hole in the wall" types, they do not possess those facilities. So with that, making the return is not only against company policy, but also illegal.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                  Check privacy laws for where you are. Some (I know in Canada the federal one is this case) actually forbid accepting returns of anything containing a storage medium unless you have the facilities to purge all data on it, which has very strict regulations such as a private area and a bondable employee. Seeing as most game stores are, for lack of a better term "hole in the wall" types, they do not possess those facilities. So with that, making the return is not only against company policy, but also illegal.
                  I'm not in Canada anymore, I don't think there are any specific laws about that where I am now but as a matter of policy we wipe the memory of every system we take in on trade so if the return did go ahead, you'd better believe the thing would be formatted before being resold.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

This is why I always call up the managers who will, in fact, uphold company policy when there's a need. They'll tell the customer in the nicest way possible to go screw themselves five ways to hell as they oh so politely tell said customer to take the return and GTFO.

Please do update on this, I'd also like to know what'll happen.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

From college I learned there are the rules and that you just need to watch the Matrix to learn that the rules don't really exist especially if your neo or maybe his close friend. The rules are only for us low level employees to deal with, once you get to area managers well they are more qualified to be idiots and please the morons that can't be satisfied under regular channels.

Also,
                      I wonder if I can return my ps3 as I have to update it if I want a ps3 but lose the linux abilitiies i bought it for. or leave it unupdated and unable to play newer games or blurays
                      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Working...
                      X