X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Victoria J View Post
    How gouache.
    Now don't you all keep throwing oil on the fire.

We have a wide palette of posters here, and we don't need any dueling pastels at dawn.

As an aside, we could probably draw this one out for pages.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Wow.

There are no words to describe just how to reply.

Comment

It seems classically triptychal.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
          How dare you be rude to that thief!

Sheesh, he took entitlement to a new ...high or low?
          If a guy gets hurt breaking into my house illegally I get sued. Is that brand of entitlement really so surprising?

I do wish someone had found my work worth stealing. As is I consider it a compliment that when I left it all out on a sidwalk, people actually sifted through it and took pieces of it home.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            It seems classically triptychal.
            ** Suddenly has an impression of dale hanging out amongst the happy little trees with a pallete almost as big as his hair **

( to the Bob, btw)
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              ** Suddenly has an impression of dale hanging out amongst the happy little trees with a pallete almost as big as his hair **
              Leaf, by Niggle. JRR Tolkien.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I guess I should easel my way back into the pun-world. You know, brush up on my word play, canvas the boards for ideas. Admittedly some of them would be sketchy, but I could just chalk those up to being out of practice.

For the bathroom moron, seriously? Only high schools and higher education DON'T have what may be called children. The rest of her stupidity just boggles the mind even further.

As for klepto-critic, you should have asked him how much he thought it might be worth. Get a good ballpark figure for when you sell it.
                Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be.
                Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?

Comment

The other day I was at this place called the Louvre and they had this really neat painting called "Mona Lisa" or something or other. So I took it. I know people who will pay a lot for it! But as I was walking out with it all these guards came and were like "mon dieu, what are you doing" and "how did you get this out of the bulletproof glass" and blah blah blah. Then the guard just grabbed it out of my hand! How rude! Then the cops came and arrested me. Wtf?

(seriously, how is this any different?)
                  It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                  -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Went to a school . . . doesn't want to be around children . . . my brain just broke, I think.

And I don't even know what to say about artwork thief.
                    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                      Went to a school . . . doesn't want to be around children . . . my brain just broke, I think.
                      Sadly mine didn't... I've heard people in restaurants downtown complain about how many Mormons they saw at Temple Square... umm... seriously? You were surprised to see Mormons at a Mormon Holy Site? I'll bet you would also find a lot of Catholics at the Vatican, and Muslims in Mecca, and Jews at the Temple Mound...
                      Sadly it's so common that my mind has created a filter to prevent an overload at statements like that.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

They don't really take into account that some visitors might not want to go near children.
                        wow, the stupid, it's outshining the sun!

as for the thief, complimentary, yes; ew to the max, definitely. don't snatch? pot calls kettle much?

i'm just glad he chose to van gogh gogh, rather than cause a scene.
                        look! it's ghengis khan!
                        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                          Sorry, I see people referring to "prints" all the time, and figured now was a good time to figure out what they are.
                          Actually, "prints" can refer to one of 2 things: art prints, or overpriced posters.

Art prints: These are almost always signed and numbered. Despite being prints, they are actually original artworks, with each one being slightly different due to the inevitable variation in handmade goods. These are usually referred to by the process used (woodcuts, etchings, engravings, lithographs, silkscreens/serigraphs) - the artist does the original creative work on what's basically a printing plate (wood block/metal plate/stone/"mask" to block ink), then inks it and applies the paper. Frequently there are multiple inkings - when this is done, each colour "pass" is from a separate creative work on the "transfer medium". Once the production run is finished, there is no way to make more (e.g. in lithographs, after each "pass", the surface of the stone is ground down to smooth it and remove the oily medium in which the original was drawn, in order to re-use the stone to do the next "pass" for the batch of prints).

Overpriced posters: These are mechanically reproduced from an original done in a "one off" medium (e.g. paintings). The original work is scanned or photographed, and the copies are run off. Sometimes sold as a numbered edition, but after the production run is finished it's easy to make more (even if the printing plates were scrapped after the run, the original can always be re-scanned or re-photographed). If the "print" shows halftone screening (under a magnifying glass, you can see that it's made up of dots like a picture in a magazine), you've got an overpriced poster.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Don't forget the prints you find at most convention dealer rooms which consist of either black and white or color copies of the original art.

I know one artist that runs off a gajillion prints of the black and white line art and gives several away free with any commission and sells them for very, very little. But, since the work portion was done with the original, and the copies cost next to nothing, it's a great revenue stream. And he'll color them for a little more.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              Don't forget the prints you find at most convention dealer rooms which consist of either black and white or color copies of the original art.

I know one artist that runs off a gajillion prints of the black and white line art and gives several away free with any commission and sells them for very, very little. But, since the work portion was done with the original, and the copies cost next to nothing, it's a great revenue stream. And he'll color them for a little more.

^-.-^
                              If by "copies" you mean photocopies, that would be mechanically reproduced, so they'd fall under the category of "overpriced posters". If someone likes how a mechanically reproduced artwork looks, and understands that it's not an original print, that's fine. Some places, however, sell them as "prints", and price them as if they were true art prints.

In the case of the artist you mentioned, the ones he colours would be original prints, because the artist has worked on them individually.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X