This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Afternoon, Ms. Entitlement Whore

This is in no way meant to be disrespectful to all teachers. Nor do I intend to offend the members of this board who are in the education field. But it seems that the biggest entitlement whores I have run into since working at the bent staple, have been teachers.

Most of them are very pleasent. I'm always recommending books I read when I was in the grade they taught, and alot of them are happy that my teachers had a student like me who loved reading and writing as much as I do. I've had a particularly good relationship with teachers who have Asperger's students in their classes.

But every so often I get gems like this one from two days ago.

Teacher Entitlement Whore = TEW
    TEW's Husband = TEWH
    Oh look honey! He's doing his best Cujo impression by frothing at the mouth. How very rea-aaaaah! = Me

TEW buys two folders.

TEW: (In a more authoritative than inquisitive tone) Now those are supposed to be five cents, right?
    Me: *Looks at price* Er, they're actually 1.98 each.
    TEW: But they were five cents in August.
    Me: *Thinking* And this is November, your point?
    TEW: I'm a teacher and my friend says she got twenty of these for five cents.
    Me: Yes, ma'am. That was during the back-to-school sale. Teachers with a rewards card get to buy more than the limit for regular customers.
    TEW: *Whining* Oh, well can you give me some kind of discount on these?
    Me: If they were damaged, I could take a few cents off.
    TEW: Well were they damaged?
    Me: *Thinking* You just brought them to me, wouldn't you notice any damager? *Outloud* No ma'am, I'm sorry, they're in good condition from what I can see.
    TEWH: Well, how much are they?

I repeat the price.

TEWH: *To his wife* So just pay the man.
    Me: *thinking* Can I marry you sir?
    TEW: But they're sooooo expensive.

Oh my god. This woman looks old enough to be my grandmother and she just whined like a five year-old. She paid for the folders, but not without whining about how much they cost and how unfair it was that everything was so expensive.

I called someone out like that before when I worked at Staples. Customer claimed that her friend brought an item at a certain price at a certain location... well I looked it up in the computer.. and I told her that she must been mistaken.. as that location hasn't sold one in over a few months. She kept on changing the location and then just walked out in a huff.

Boss man never got after me.. as he knew I would make sure I had all my ducks in a row before I called a customer out.

Comment

Discounts in general tend to bring out the worst in people, as exampled by another post where a restaurant was apparently "unAmerican" because they didn't give free meals on Veterans Day and IPF's many posts about senior day. If you offer a special discount, people demand more and accuse you of being a horrible person/business for refusing. Small wonder why some special deals are becoming a thing of the past...
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
        TEW: *Whining* Oh, well can you give me some kind of discount on these?
        Me: If they were damaged, I could take a few cents off.

STOP!!!

Seriously, let's look at what you just did. You actually told an SC a way they could get a discount. You realize, of course, that opens you up for all kinds of abuse? For example, I can easily picture another SC bending or crumpling the folders..."Yep, they're damaged alright. How much are they now?" Or even the same SC coming back a few days later, crumpling the folders slightly before approaching the cashier, then saying, "These were damaged....can I get a discount on them?" NEVER give an SC information they can use against you or your employer if you don't have to.

The correct answer to the above inquiry is either:

(A) "No."

OR

(B) "Yes, ma'am. I can give them to you at the 5 cent price....at next year's back to school sale. In August."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

(A) "No."

OR

(B) "Yes, ma'am. I can give them to you at the 5 cent price....at next year's back to school sale. In August."
          OR

(C) I would be happy to give them to you for 5 cents each if you can build a time machine and go back to when they were on sale.

OR

(D) If you'd like, you can picture them as costing 5 cents each, with a 1.93 per folder late fee for missing the sale.
          Last edited by Dave1982; 11-21-2010, 12:12 PM.
          Enjoy my latest stupid quest for immortality. http://1001plus.blogspot.com/

Comment

Honestly, if I hadn't told her that, she might have gone to a manager and they would have said the same thing. I learned long ago there was no point in throwing myself on a sword for a policy that no one enforces.

Sticking to my guns has only ever been as effective as the people in charge.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Only problem with that is, there's no guarantee the folders will be 5 cents apiece next August.

They may still be on sale, but at a higher price. And, of course, we all know that that Bitch would remember Nate stating that, and would insist on holding him to that price, even if they're only 6 cents apiece, and she again gets a very small amount such as two folders.

Mike
              Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                Only problem with that is, there's no guarantee the folders will be 5 cents apiece next August.
                Good point.

Then the only correct answer is, in fact, "No."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

STOP!!!

Seriously, let's look at what you just did. You actually told an SC a way they could get a discount. You realize, of course, that opens you up for all kinds of abuse? For example, I can easily picture another SC bending or crumpling the folders..."Yep, they're damaged alright. How much are they now?" Or even the same SC coming back a few days later, crumpling the folders slightly before approaching the cashier, then saying, "These were damaged....can I get a discount on them?" NEVER give an SC information they can use against you or your employer if you don't have to.

(A) "No."

OR

Excellent advice. I find it's best to only give the bare mininum,no perks,because perks always come back to haunt you later on,in my experience.

Comment

And she bitched about TWO folders at the obviously astronomical price of...$1.98 each??

Wow, and people call me cheap.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

One thing Nate didn't point out....the 5-cent folders are normally $0.49. Whatever folders this person was interested in are among the most expensive that the Bent Staple carries. AT BEST they'd have been on sale for $0.99.

I say she was just fishing for a discount. Wasn't even the right item.
                      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Probably right. I think the five cent ones were the flimsier ones, but at the time I didn't think of it. Honestly, when a sale that happened five months earlier is over I just don't remember anything about it except that it was five months ago.

I only wish some of my customers had the same attention span.

Comment

Working...
                        X