This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
    I hope the dad did not agree with the son, I hope he did what any other rational parent did and said that it was a mistake. Please let it be that way, oh please.

I learned that last night, during egress at the arena I was a proud witness to an 8 year old kid who had his head out the window screaming "douchebag" at the top of his lungs. The father did nothing.

Some parents may not respond in public. At least I like to hold onto that thought. We also have no way of knowing if a child has issues like Asperger or Autism that affect their social behaviors.
    I know someone who walked up to a stranger and tearfully told her that her child was autistic and she could stop making comments now that she was informed about something that was none of her business to begin with. I'm not sure I could handle the public aspect of that type of situation.

But I agree kids today are just not as polite as they should be. I deal with it in the teenagers that come up to my area. Snowboarders are the worst at it with their obnoxious attitudes of entitlement.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

Comment

I always knew those Boy Scouts were up to something.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
        Gravekeeper- I dunno, I think real weasels would be far more amusing to flog someone with
        "All I have right now is this box of one dozen starving crazed weasels." (cookie for anyone who gets the reference)
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
          Some parents may not respond in public. At least I like to hold onto that thought. We also have no way of knowing if a child has issues like Asperger or Autism that affect their social behaviors.
          Autism maybe, but I'm an Aspie and I know how to behave in public. My dad would have clipped me round the ear and made me apologise to the cashier if I'd kicked off like that in a shop. I also think a hell of a lot of parents trot out the "he's got autism/ADD/aspergers/insert behavioural problem here!" excuse when either their kid has no such syndrome, or they do and they're misbehaving in a way that other kids suffering from the same problem manage not to do.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            "All I have right now is this box of one dozen starving crazed weasels." (cookie for anyone who gets the reference)
            Weird Al! Albuquerque!

Free cookie for me!
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
              Gravekeeper- I dunno, I think real weasels would be far more amusing to flog someone with
              Come, now, do the weasels really deserve that?

My cousin is an Eagle Scout. My brother never got much into scouting but my dad used to help with my cousin's troop. He go on the annual camping trip and they always wanted him to do the cooking.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oh, I've watched and worked with people with Autism and Aspergers many times. I can handle that.

This child was just an entitlement-minded little twit.

I actually have an epilogue to this story.

I went back to my GameStore yesterday to buy my held copy of the new Zelda game (<3 <3 <3 I had had it reserved since I'd been employed there a year or so ago) and the other person who'd been working that day was there. He was terribly happy to see me and I related to him that I'd shared this story with all of you, and he laughed. He told me that was one of the more memorable stories he'd had from the store as well....but he still works there, the poor man.
                Saving the planet and everything on it is certainly a daunting task; but see, push has come to shove...Let's roll.

- Inga Muscio

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  Autism maybe, but I'm an Aspie and I know how to behave in public. My dad would have clipped me round the ear and made me apologise to the cashier if I'd kicked off like that in a shop. I also think a hell of a lot of parents trot out the "he's got autism/ADD/aspergers/insert behavioural problem here!" excuse when either their kid has no such syndrome, or they do and they're misbehaving in a way that other kids suffering from the same problem manage not to do.
                  Ah, but Asperger's is a very varied and difficult-to-categorize disorder (as is Autism). My ex-bf's son is autistic, and ... er... how do I word this... you can *tell* there's something not right about him. However, I have one or two adult friends who are autistic (higher-functioning that my ex's kid) and you'd never know. On the same tack, my son has Asperger's, and when he was younger, would have screaming tantrums in stores/public places until we stopped taking him out altogether. It wasn't that he was a brat or badly behaved, but anywhere noisier or more active than our livingroom tended to overwhelm him to the point of hysteria. (we didn't learn that he had aspergers for a few years after that).
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I didn't find out myself til recently; I was tested for autism as a kid but came up as negative, but of course they didn't know of Aspergers back then.

And there are countless parents who do explain away their childrens' demonic behaviour by attaching a syndrome to them; really bugs me, as it just cheapens anyone who genuinely suffers from it.
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      And there are countless parents who do explain away their childrens' demonic behaviour by attaching a syndrome to them; really bugs me, as it just cheapens anyone who genuinely suffers from it.
                      Not only that, but parents excuse anti-social behaviors, it makes it less likely that that kid will learn how to deal with what he has enough to work with society when he really needs to. (I'm not saying "fit in with society" because they probably never will... and I don't consider that to be a bad thing. I never quite fit in, but I once I learned how to deal with the fact that most people are different than me, I never thought that was a bad thing.)

Comment

bad parenting
                        setting a bad example for the kids... anything goes wrong ... lets sue those who are responsible.
                        came across a few parents lying to the customer service agents "things were broke when i bought it" & "I just bought this a few minutes ago and it had a crack on it" knowing they just bought the same item and exchanged the broken one. saw that many times. i even knew one guy he bought the exact TV he had at home. changed the remote control because the one he had at home was broken. and he returned the TV with a broken remote back to Circuit City. he said. this is america, he can do wheverever the hell he wanted.
                        kids watching parents doing those things, and they are most likely following what their parents would do. being dishonest.

Comment

My ex's downstairs neighbors had a kid who is autistic. I only saw him a few times in the year+ that I lived there but we heard him plenty. He was pretty noisy; he'd make this kind of moaning noise, not yelling or screaming or anything but no words either. They had a sign on their door with the rainbow/puzzle ribbon thing that said there was a resident with autism and may not respond to commands, I assume in case of an emergency of some sort. But his noise I could excuse...the tv blaring all day and night, yelling and screaming between the parents, and the fact that they seemed unable to close a door without slamming it so the whole building shakes...they couldn't use their kid as an excuse for that!
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                            Some kids should be flogged with the darndest things. Like a Garden Weasel(tm).

Or, how about a reglar weasel.

Comment

Working...
                            X