Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would wager they wouldn't know how a flag is retired, they probably know it's "illegal" to burn a flag though. Why would I wager? Because I know the sort of person this argument springs from . . . it's not patriotism, it's needing to feel superior to someone else and choosing that as a means.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      For extended usage - especially if the flag pole is one of those really tall ones - I'd personally recommend a heavier duty flag that's individually sewn. That's what we used onboard my ships in the Navy - instead of just printing the flag image to a single rectangle of fabric, each stripe and star was individually sewn. That type of flag tends to fray a lot less.
      I'm guessing the individual parts are also made of heavy duty fabric, like canvas or heavy nylon?
      Quoth Kereminde View Post
      I would wager they wouldn't know how a flag is retired, they probably know it's "illegal" to burn a flag though.
      The proper method of flag disposal is burning, actually. But there's a ceremony involved, rather than just torching it (I learned it and participated in one during Girl Scouts).
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Ironically you retire a flag by... well burning it.

The local American Legion just had their yearly ceremony on Veteran's day. They supplied the flags they collected throughout the year and invited the public to bring their own old flags as well.

and i found this - flag retirement guidelines. looks pretty interesting

Hmmm though you know there is one possible solution to the flag issue...
        Murals. at least the ends won't fray.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          The proper method of flag disposal is burning, actually. But there's a ceremony involved, rather than just torching it (I learned it and participated in one during Girl Scouts).
          I know, Eagle Scout here, after all. But really, I don't expect people who put up a fuss about a flag to understand when I go: "Wow, you're right, the flag doesn't meet the standards. I have to burn it then."

. . . what, they get to be a smart*ss, so do I.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            So, points to the "evil foreigners" who own the hotel for giving the "patriots" exactly what they want, making sure that there are no flags in less than pristine condition.
            And I humbly bow to the passive agressive method of resolving the complaint. I can't wait for the follow up as to how the group reacted to this.
            "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
            .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              Ironically you retire a flag by... well burning it.

The local American Legion just had their yearly ceremony on Veteran's day. They supplied the flags they collected throughout the year and invited the public to bring their own old flags as well.

and i found this - flag retirement guidelines. looks pretty interesting)
              Thanks for the info, PepperElf! I have a flag I've needed to retire for about a year, but didn't want to burn it in my backyard, and couldn't bring myself to use "other means".

I'll have to give the Legion a call after the holiday
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Kereminde View Post
                I would wager they wouldn't know how a flag is retired, they probably know it's "illegal" to burn a flag though. Why would I wager? Because I know the sort of person this argument springs from . . . it's not patriotism, it's needing to feel superior to someone else and choosing that as a means.
                You hit the nail right on the head.

Comment

Working...
                X