Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen a few posts now on sites like this - there are a couple on notalwaysright.com - about customers who managed to somehow get it into their heads that the staff at the shops lived there. Like K-Mart maintains a barracks in the back or something. I love logic leaps like that, ones where we normal people can't figure out how in the hell they're coming up with this stuff.

So what's the recipe? Well, first you have to take others for granted. And by that I mean, you have to believe that other people are essentially ambulatory furniture. That says "sociopath" to me. The customer in the OP was surprised that a lowly clerk might have a home and family of her own, to the point where the idea actually offended her and she lashed out. She didn't like that idea; didn't like having to accept that other people are human. She had to stomp on that idea just as hard as she possibly could, or face exactly how big a jerk she's been all her life.

I'd wonder whether class has anything to do with it, but that's a debate for Fratching.

Love, Who?

Comment

I think my reaction to this would have been along the lines of my "one eyebrow raised wtf is this shit, are you crazy bitch?" stare for a good few moments, before a refusal of service.

-_-

Back when I worked a register for a grocery store, someone like this made one of my fav coworkers break down into tears. Didn't hear it first hand, but evidently a customer had flat out stated my cw (of somewhat mixed heritage) could not possibly have a family who loved her, or legally celebrate thanksgiving, since she was "just a mongrel, not even a real american". Cw was the sort of shy, mousey girl to get really quiet when hurt, and justed hurried through the rest of the transaction, before taking her break, and crying in the back room. Sadly, bitchy customer got away with it.
      *~*THIS SIG HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!*~*

It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.-Elijah Snow

Comment

I've had a customer say to me something along those lines when she asked me if the store was open Christmas Day. I said it wasn't and it was a good thing cuz it meant that we could spend time with our families. She replied, "I think stores should be open on Christmas Day, in case I run out of milk or something."

I just about managed to restrain myself from yelling at her; I could not believe that there was so much entitlement in one person.
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Duelist925 View Post
          Back when I worked a register for a grocery store, someone like this made one of my fav coworkers break down into tears. Didn't hear it first hand, but evidently a customer had flat out stated my cw (of somewhat mixed heritage) could not possibly have a family who loved her, or legally celebrate thanksgiving, since she was "just a mongrel, not even a real american". Cw was the sort of shy, mousey girl to get really quiet when hurt, and justed hurried through the rest of the transaction, before taking her break, and crying in the back room. Sadly, bitchy customer got away with it.
          Ooh, I would've torn that jerk a new one. That's absolutely horrible that he should treat another person that way.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
          X