This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cutest little shoplifter

Okay, so, Black Friday, in a non-mall setting... it was disturbingly quiet all day... and then, the front end manager decided she felt sick and needed to go home, and the other UScan attendant got briefly promoted to front end manager for tonight, and I got to play Musical UScans... "Go here! Now come over here! Now go back over there! Okay, okay, come back over to this side for the night..."

Finally, I get settled into running the 'busy' bank... and things really get weird...

Had a family of four come over, with one of the youngin's carrying two pricey Polly Pocket sets... Mom says NO! Daughter goes over to a register and puts them in bags, and tries to sneak back over to Mom, who again says NO! Daughter puts them, in the bags, into a stack of handbaskets I had on a register I had to close. And I go stand next to that register, cause I'm psychic or something, cause the moment I walk away to ID someone for beer, I hear the rustling of plastic bags, so I start going NO! and then I look up and see Mom has turned around at the door at my outburst, and has made daughter put the bags down. I wasn't sure if I was impressed she thought she could getaway with that, or insulted because she thought I wouldn't catch on really quick.

Later, a customer come up with her hubby, they buy some wine, and she asks me if we have 'this wine' in Concorde as well?
    "Not really too familiar with the wine section, unfortunately..."
    Oh...
    Skip ahead to me straightening up the wine section a bit and I find the spot they pulled that wine from, and sitting right next to it? The same thing, in Concorde.

Two of the registers were refusing to dispense cash tonight, so, after a few hours or handing out change galore, I finally rebooted one of them, and got it working with no trouble. I rebooted the other one just as my relief was coming over to let me go on break, and when I got back, she said it still wasn't working... so I tested it, and it gave me crap about the bill dispenser getting jammed, and since I can't get into that part of the machine, I just had to shut it down until someone higher could come and check it out... Night manager finally came over and took over while I ran to the restroom, and when I came back, he told me it still wasn't working, but he knew what the problem was. Hurray, the twenties in the bin are funky, apparently... and that's why we HAVE to use absolutely crisp, fresh new bills...

I was straightening the beer when I had a moment, and happened to find a wad of bills with a $100 wrapped around it, and a mass of twenties. I grab it, and the few go backs I see just hanging out in the refrigerated area, and go show off my find, and make sure everyone sees me put the wad into my till until I can get it to a manager.
    One of the courtesy clerks comes over and swears the wad is hers, she dropped it while she was straightening the beers, and there's $180 exactly in it.
    Okay, there's a few thoughts I latched onto from that little bit of info:
    1) If the wad, which I haven't yet counted, IS in fact, $180, it must be hers
    2) Why was she going through her pocket in the beer aisle?
    3) Why did I have to straighten the aisle AGAIN? It's only been five minutes since she was asked to do it
    Anyway, she keeps telling me it's $180, so, I think about it a moment, and pull out the wad to count it. Yup, $180 on the money, so I hand it over to her.

By the way, those stories were in no particular order. And it amazes me how much I'm learning to fix by feel from watching the night manager when he used to be up front. I just randomly decided I was going to reboot those two stations to get them working, cause I was tired of doling out cash.

Even more so when I went to do my nightly audit, and found out NO ONE did a single audit on that till today! I was the first and the last, the alpha and the omega... and I was over by nearly $1,000! And, I imagine, I'll be seeing one of those notes requiring a signature that my till was off in the near future.
    "I call murder on that!"

Firstly. Its always a reboot - If that doesn't work, hit it.

Secondly - So they'll want you to take responsibility for something tha most likely wasn't caused during your shift?
    "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
    Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
      Firstly. Its always a reboot - If that doesn't work, hit it.
      Oh, percussive maintenance, is there anything you can't fix? Or at least make me feel slightly better about not being fixed?
      *~*THIS SIG HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!*~*

It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.-Elijah Snow

Comment

I'd refuse to sign the write up unless I knew all the others who were on it were written up as well.

Comment

he asks me if we have 'this wine' in Concorde as well?
          sounds like Manischewitz, or something similar. I don't know of many other wine brands that come in concord grape.

Comment

Working...
          X