This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC's and superstition

Wierd little twitchy middle aged guy wearing a Pink Floyd t-shirt comes in this afternoon and signs for his reservation. I hand him the keys to 114 and he, not paying attention, heads toward his room halfway through my "breakfast is at 6:00" speech. Not out of the ordinary, most sucky customers don't listen to a word i'm saying anyway. What was out of the ordinary was when he came back five minutes later and tossed the keys on the desk.

Twitchy: I refuse to stay in that room.
    Me: (wondering what he found in there... poop, people having sex...) What seems to be the problem?
    Twitchy: I can't stay in any room numbered 4 or 3... I just can't
    Me: Huh?
    Twitchy: And a lightbulb is out, that's a bad omen in my book. (long pause) Doomsday, you know?
    Me: You can't be serious.
    Twitchy: I don't want you to laugh at me, I just want another room.
    Twitchy: Can you give me room 120?
    Me: I'd like to, but someone is already in 120.
    Twitchy: Darn, can you ask them to leave.
    Me: That's not going to happen.
    Twitchy: We have a problem then.
    Me: No... I can put you in 201 or 102.
    Twitchy: Well, i'll have to talk it over with the family.
    (as he's leaving) You should really learn to respect other people's beliefs.

WTF? I thought he was screwing with me at first but they way he said the last line made me believe he was for real. He hasn't been back in hours but i'm sure i haven't seen the last of him or his kooky beliefs. I thought superstition was mainly an old people thing. Anyone else have to deal with any superstitious customers?

Yeesh, what a weirdo. The rest of his family was probably just as weird too.

A few times I got people who get all religious if the total for their purchase was $6.66. They would just toss in an extra penny and that would be the end of it though.
    "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

The closest I've come is having a few guests sense that the building is haunted and wanting a different room than what I'd assigned to them. One guest whose room was down at the other end of the building wouldn't use the hallway to get to the lobby -- he'd use the parking lot instead in the middle of winter. When we asked him why, it was because every time he passed by the door of our most haunted room, something would bang on the door from the inside and it was weirding him out. Another guest refused to stay in the room directly above that room, citing that it "felt weird."
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Ringtail Z28 View Post
        A few times I got people who get all religious if the total for their purchase was $6.66.
        I got that once when I was buying some stuff at a comic shop. The clerk said, "It's the Anti-Purchase!" I've used that line since!
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

In 'The Family' did he mean like a Charles Manson-type family? Or the family living in his head?

Be afraid, be very afraid.
          Oh, "Blah blah blah 'Your Needs'!"

Comment

*sigh* it's so hard to hit 6.66 in new york state, unless you are buying gas.
            DILLIGAF

Comment

whenever i've stayed in room 13 i've made some sad joke about it being unlucky, i wouldn't dream of turning it down though

Comment

A few times I got people who get all religious if the total for their purchase was $6.66. They would just toss in an extra penny and that would be the end of it though.
                When we had our re-grand opening after our remodel a few years ago, we had this promotional flyer sent out to the area neighborhoods. I remember there were like 4 really good coupons in there for some bacon and milk and other stuff. Well, of course some people only came in and bought the coupon items only, and nothing else. What was really funny is that if a person only bought the coupon items, the total came to $6.66. So I would have that total like 100 times in a day.....all week long. Silly marketing people
                WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

The same thing happened when I worked at BK if a total came to 6.66 almost always they would by an extra fry or dessert to change the total. They were totally normal about it though not kooky or anything. I can't judge I have a thing against even numbers myself. Now if the guy simply asked to be changed to a different room that would be fine. But to ask if another person can be essentially kicked out of their room is a little over the top.
                  My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Working in a lot of restaurants, there was always the "spilled salt" superstition. People who were aware of this superstition would ask me, "I just spilled salt. Do you know what shoulder I'm supposed to throw it over and if I throw the salt that I spilled or some out of the shaker?!"

Uh, no, I don't. But it always brought to mind the one scene from Dumb and Dumber and I'd tell them to throw the spilled salt to avoid them having Seabass kick their ass....
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                      Working in a lot of restaurants, there was always the "spilled salt" superstition. People who were aware of this superstition would ask me, "I just spilled salt. Do you know what shoulder I'm supposed to throw it over and if I throw the salt that I spilled or some out of the shaker?!"

Uh, no, I don't. But it always brought to mind the one scene from Dumb and Dumber and I'd tell them to throw the spilled salt to avoid them having Seabass kick their ass....

Well, now you came to the right place! I know which shoulder one should throw spilt salt over. It's <drum roll> The Left One!

I also know the reason it started, which was during the ancient Roman times. Salt used to be a precious commodity and any spillage of it was considered a waste and would anger the spirits (or Gods) that were always around. You threw it over the left shoulder to appease the spirits (or Gods), and then you wouldn't get bad luck.

Comment

I could understand not wanting to stay in room 666 or room 1313, but a 3 or 4?
                        What kind of messed up superstition is that?

Comment

Yeesh, what a weirdo. The rest of his family was probably just as weird too.

Call me weird, but I love getting that total. It gives me a warm glowy feeling inside.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                            Well, now you came to the right place! I know which shoulder one should throw spilt salt over. It's <drum roll> The Left One!

I also know the reason it started, which was during the ancient Roman times. Salt used to be a precious commodity and any spillage of it was considered a waste and would anger the spirits (or Gods) that were always around. You threw it over the left shoulder to appease the spirits (or Gods), and then you wouldn't get bad luck.
                            Wow, thanks. I never really knew the reason behind that - now I do.
                            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

At my first table waiting job, I once had that happen. It was a group of four but they didn't order much, and when I totaled up their bill, it came to $6.66. So, I go to the table to tell them this as I bring them the check. They are vaguely amused. Then I tell them, "Oh, by the way...you also happen to be sitting at table 13."

That's when they ordered another iced tea.

Quoth IMAPseudonym View Post
                              HauntedHead one of these days I have to come see your hotel...I LOVE haunted places!
                              If you get a chance, you should come to Key West, which has been called the second most haunted city in the U.S., after only New Orleans. My hotel...excuse me, the hotel I FORMERLY worked at (yay!) is one of the haunted places, too. Great hotel. (Just my former boss that sucked.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X