This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolutely EPIC this week....

This week has been spectacular for SCs. This is literally like a bitter, telecom Reader's Digest of consumer foolishness. ><

If I knew it was going to be this bad I'd have posted once a day. Oh man....

Brace yourself! Here we go:

Viola!

"Sorry about all these questions, I don't have a computer so I can't look at your website."

30 seconds later

"Wow, that’s a lot of information. I'll just look at the website instead. Thanks."

Wow, I wish I could just pull a computer out of my arse like that. I'd be rich. Well, actually I'd probably be in a lot of pain and in the waiting room at the proctologist's office. But still, it'd be an impressive talent.

Probably not, No

SC: "I can put you at the Orleans for $59"
    Me: "Is that safe?"
    SC: "Pardon?"
    Me: "Is that safe, the Orleans."

I'm not sure, no one I've ever booked there has managed to make it back to the airport alive in the morning to tell us. But please, enjoy your stay. P.S. We offer a 20 dollar rebate to your family if the police can identify your body at check out time.

Street Cred

I guess my "street cred" has gone up as people asking me for change and then offering me something in return is becoming a nightly occurrence. Tonight I was offered a lottery ticket. No offense, but if you've been reduced to asking people for change I don't think I want to bet any money on your luck. Still, I appreciate the effort. Perhaps at this rate same night I'll be offered something I actually want. So if there's a crazed hobo out there somewhere clutching a Nintendo Wii, I've got a loonie with your name on it. ( Ye Gods, I'm such a bastard. )

Orderlines
    ( This company only sells cloths.... )

Me: "and what would you like to order?"
    SC: "A boat."

……what? Just…….what? Did I mishear you? You're attempting to procure aquatic transport from me? That, my good lady, takes the cake and luckily for you we still have a ton of it in the fridge. Hope you like peaches.

She did have an item number for it…..maybe I better take a look at the new catalogue. See if they've expanded into naval supply while I wasn't paying attention....

Stupid + Stupid != Victory

Caller accidentally inserted $20 into the machine before selecting the bill she wished to pay. So of course this $ was lost. She also managed to break the machine. I offered to have a technician check it in the morning and if we found the $20 we could see about crediting it to her account. Her response?

"Oh well can I just jam the rest of my payment into the machine too and you can credit all of it to my account? I don't want to have to pay the rest somewhere else."

…..<twitch>. Yes, you heard that right. Her solution to her own stupidity was to add additional stupidity because it would be more convenient for her. I advised her I could in no way recommend jamming additional funds into a broken machine as we could not gurantee they would be recovered.

It seemed more polite then advising her she's a raging half-wit and should be dragged through town, uphill, in a clown suit, by wild dogs wearing sleigh bells.

Unsupported

SC: "I can't access my email."
    Me: "Alright? Is it a problem with the machine or with your actual email account."
    SC: "Well I'm on MyIsp.com and-"
    SC "Wait, you can't get into your HisIsp email account?"
    Me: "Yeah."
    SC: "This is <company name>, not YourIsp, We do support for internet kiosks."
    Me: "Oh…"

You have already failed on so many levels I really have nothing else to add. Well, perhaps one thing: <Points at you> Ha ha!

Pain....

"I PAY MY BILL AT Y'ALL E-WHIZ MACHINE~@"

Ow! Dammit! That physically hurt my brain. Please, stop. You'll killing my ability to think. I need that ability, so I don't become one of you.

Yes, yes I am

SC: "You're going to ask me something I don't know next, aren't you?"
    Me: "Your postal code?"
    SC: "Yeah, that."

If you knew I'd ask and you knew you wouldn't know the answer….why didn't you find the answer before calling instead of making me wait on the line while you went to discover the answer? I know its likely futile asking you to apply "common sense" to your daily life….but please, please give it a try. You never know you just might like it. It tingles.

I Think I Know Why You Missed your Flight
    ( Keep in mind this guy is in the middle of an airport. )

A few highlights of this wonderful call:

Me: "Ok I can put you at the Orleans for $59, is that alright?"
    SC: "They won't let me talk!"
    Me: "…?"

Me: "Alright, do you have a pen there?"
    SC: "I can't hold my pen!"

Me: "…..ok…..your confirmation code is M as I Mary-"
    SC: "N?...or T?"
    Me: "….M. As in Mary."
    SC: "They turned the lights out on me!"
    Me: "……"

SC: "What was the name of it again?"
    Me: "The Orleans."
    SC: "New Orleans?"
    Me: "No, The Orleans."
    SC: "E-Orleans?"
    Me: "The Orleans."
    SC: "The Orleans?"
    Me: "Yes."

Aren't the flight attendants suppose to limit your alcohol intake on a flight? Or does America West work off of some sort of "However many shots it takes to shut you the hell up" policy?

Go Long

SC: "What's the turn around time?"
    Me: "About 15 minutes."
    SC: "50?"
    Me: "15"
    SC: "15?"
    Me: "15"
    SC: "1-5?"
    Me: "1-5"
    SC: "Alright, man."

Actually I think this is the part where you're suppose to hike me the football.

Mystic Gypsy Powers: The Return

Caller ranted at length about losing money in the washing machine. Caller then ranted about the guy living above her who owns a washing machine. ( Why? I have no flippin idea. I gave up years ago. ). Then she ranted about the manager ( I guess it’s a conspiracy. ). Then she once again ranted about the money she lost and demanded a refund. Then….she just hung up.

So…...I don't know who she, where she is or even how much money she lost in the machine. Yet, according to her it is imperative that I return these funds to her. You know, if I had the kind of psychic abilities you're expecting me to use the first thing I'd do with them is figure out some way to inflict harm on you over a distance. Not scrye up how much change you lost.

You Think?

Me: "Good evening <lawyer's office>"
    SC: "..I think I made a huge mistake."

Seeing as you're calling a lawyer's office at 3 in the morning I would submit that that's a given. But please, go on. Your misery both tickles and amuses me.

A Little Tale of Granville Street

As I was walking up Granville I came upon two guys arguing with a panhandler. I have no idea what about, but they told him off and started walking away. The panhandler then stood up and chased after them pointing in a menacing fashion. He then yelled, at the top of his lungs, this: "Yeah well it's easier to get fat chicks, AND I PREFER THEM TOO!".

If ever there was a way to make everyone inside of half a block stop dead in their tracks and stare at you, that’s the way. I can't even begin to fathom what they were arguing about that led to that. I'm not sure I even want to know.

P.S. To everyone on my end of the Skytrain car from Broadway to Granville this evening: Please find a way to be mauled by wild animals on your way home tonight. Thank you.

Draw a Diagram

Me: "I only have that item in Small and Medium"
    SC: "Do you have it in 2XL?"

Ok, look at me. Stay with me here. I'm going to impart to you a valuable lesson that will serve you well for the rest of your natural life. Now, look around you. Do you see a pen, pencil, lipstick or piece of charcoal you can use to write with? Got one? Good. Ok, now, when I spoke to you, I gave you two dots. Picture them in your head. Two dots. Do you see them? Now, I want you to get a piece of paper ( Or cardboard or the back of your hand, whatever ), visualize the dots and draw them both on the paper/cardboard/hand/the cat.

Now, take your writing utensil…..and connect the friggan dots.

See? You have gained a new talent. The world is a scary place I know, but this will help you succeed at….whatever the hell it is you do during the day. Drink heavily I assume.

Please Be Less Specific

Me: "What software do you use?"
    SC: "The old one."

Well, that narrowed it down. Thank you. Once I finish carbon dating every software release the company has ever made I'll page a technician for you.

Stop Right There

SC: "I was on the Internet-"

No good EVER comes from that line at the first of a call. EVER. You may as well just pick up the phone line and say "Yeah hi, I'm a half-wit and I'm about to ask you a question that either has a very obvious answer I could have found myself or will make your brain come to a stretching halt. Please brace yourself."

Wait, What?

The security guard on site informed me that the sprinkler pipe in the parkade was leaking air. Leaking air onto the ground. No water, I double checked. Just air. Now, I'm no chemist, but if "air" is heavy enough to fall to the ground and is visible to the naked eye I would submit that something is tragically wrong at your location. You may wish to vacate the premises otherwise its possible the Terrorists™ will win.

Wait, What: Part 2
    ( Same account when I tried to pass the guard's call to the property manager )

The On Call answered and took all of the call information from me….then suddenly said "Oh, I thought you were someone else. Let me get a pen." and asked me for all the information over again. Who precisely did you think I was? Do you get prank calls at night from people telling you about burst pipes and fire alarms? Does your nocturnal Romeo call you and serenade you with fictional property management emergencies?

I know hearing about plumbing emergencies and noise complaints at 4:35am lights the fires of my loins.

Hobo Bazaar

Keeping with the new hobo tradition of trying to sell me random objects and foodstuffs, tonight a guy tried to sell me a karaoke machine. That’s right, a karaoke machine. For $4. I don't think *anything* can top that short of someone trying to sell me their underwear next week. I still baffled hours later. A karaoke machine? Where the hell did he even get it? Big thing too, he had to carry it under one arm.

Shame

Me: "and whats your postal code?"
    SC: "Oh you just had to go and ask an embarrassing question like that."

…….what? No, really, what? I seriously want to know where the heck that came from. Unless your postal code is L1X 4U2 or something. Which, by the way, is apparently Pickering, Ontario. Sadly, I was disappointed to find Canada doesn't use a postal code that starts with C0X.

Bite Me ><

SC: "Is this a cab?"
    Me: "Nope, you have the wrong number."
    SC: "Oh, well, sucks to be you."

I would submit that it in fact sucks to be you. Since you're the one that won't be getting a cab this evening and if there's any justice in this world you're the one that will set upon by coyotes this evening.

Yes, I can figure that part out myself.

"This is Newfoundland Power…….er…in Newfoundland."

Thank you for clearing that up. I honestly thought you were Botswana.

I already know....

On my way home from work the same "Fat Chick" hobo told me he would tell me why "the whole universe is dumb" for a quarter.

I've worked in a call center for 6 years.....I already know, my friend. Sweet Mother of God do I know and I try desperately to forget every day.

I'm still reeling. By God. Was there a prison break at Tardcatraz over the weekend? ><

Jeezum crows where the heck... my brain just broke reading those!
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I weep for humanity!
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
        Wow, I wish I could just pull a computer out of my arse like that. I'd be rich. Well, actually I'd probably be in a lot of pain and in the waiting room at the proctologist's office. But still, it'd be an impressive talent.
        God help you if someone asks you who your 'distributor' is.

Probably not, No

SC: "I can put you at the Orleans for $59"
        Me: "Is that safe?"
        SC: "Pardon?"
        Me: "Is that safe, the Orleans."

I'm not sure, no one I've ever booked there has managed to make it back to the airport alive in the morning to tell us. But please, enjoy your stay. P.S. We offer a 20 dollar rebate to your family if the police can identify your body at check out time.
        Plus, it comes with complimentary used syringes and discarded crack pipes.

So if there's a crazed hobo out there somewhere clutching a Nintendo Wii, I've got a loonie with your name on it. ( Ye Gods, I'm such a bastard. )
        Yeah, but you'd be a bastard with a Nintendo Wii.

Yes, yes I am

SC: "You're going to ask me something I don't know next, aren't you?"
        Me: "Your postal code?"
        SC: "Yeah, that."

Shame

Me: "and whats your postal code?"
        SC: "Oh you just had to go and ask an embarrassing question like that."
        I don't know why folks have such a hard time with this. I can recite every postal code that I have had since I was born (so....4). At least you have the benefit of having them on the phone-the ones that I get usually give me the "why don't YOU know it" look. If I had the ability and the excessive free time to memorize every bloody postal code in Canada, I wouldn't be at work. I would be submitting myself for research in either the math or psychiatry departments at one of the local universities.

Aren't the flight attendants suppose to limit your alcohol intake on a flight? Or does America West work off of some sort of "However many shots it takes to shut you the hell up" policy?
        Im trying to implement a similar policy at work for our customers.

The On Call answered and took all of the call information from me….then suddenly said "Oh, I thought you were someone else. Let me get a pen." and asked me for all the information over again. Who precisely did you think I was? Do you get prank calls at night from people telling you about burst pipes and fire alarms? Does your nocturnal Romeo call you and serenade you with fictional property management emergencies?

I know hearing about plumbing emergencies and noise complaints at 4:35am lights the fires of my loins.
        You have been working in the call centre for 6 years and this surprises you? There are probably (well...most likely...no, wait..there are) folks out there that do such things. When they're done calling your property manager, then usually call you next

Hobo Bazaar

Keeping with the new hobo tradition of trying to sell me random objects and foodstuffs, tonight a guy tried to sell me a karaoke machine. That’s right, a karaoke machine. For $4. I don't think *anything* can top that short of someone trying to sell me their underwear next week. I still baffled hours later. A karaoke machine? Where the hell did he even get it? Big thing too, he had to carry it under one arm.
        Well, it's one step closer to a Wii

I already know....

On my way home from work the same "Fat Chick" hobo told me he would tell me why "the whole universe is dumb" for a quarter.

I've worked in a call center for 6 years.....I already know, my friend. Sweet Mother of God do I know and I try desperately to forget every day.
        If this guy is getting 25 cents for his theories, imagine what you can get. We're talking twoonies, man...
        -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
        -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Man your posts make my weekend

Why do people in Canada have such problems with their postal code? (I'm assuming this is comparable to the US zip code?) Or is it just the people that call your line? I don't want to make generalizations since I know there are plenty of perfectly intelligent Canadians on this board . I've done plenty of ship-to-home orders at the bookstore and never had someone NOT know their zip code off the top of their head. And even when they are having something shipped to someone else they generally come armed with that person's address... Geez, I can even rattle off at least 6 local zip codes off the top of my head by now.

-ams-
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            Man your posts make my weekend

Why do people in Canada have such problems with their postal code? (I'm assuming this is comparable to the US zip code?) Or is it just the people that call your line? I don't want to make generalizations since I know there are plenty of perfectly intelligent Canadians on this board
            Do many of us really?

Holy smokin', that's like forgetting one's home phone number.
            Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

I've worked in a call center for 6 years.....I already know.
              I feel your pain, my dear. I really do. This is my 3rd call center in 7 yrs. Dear sweet mother of god...7 LOOOOOOOONG years.
              The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Caller accidentally inserted $20 into the machine before selecting the bill she wished to pay. So of course this $ was lost. She also managed to break the machine.
                The machine allows money to be inserted before a selection is made, and ignores it? If so, that's a real bad design. (I'm assuming that normally it would count it, then allow a selection to be made, but either it goofed, or, more likely, the customer goofed. I've been in coin-op too long to trust that the customer over the machine. And considering how much I trust the machines...)

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Why do people in Canada have such problems with their postal code? (I'm assuming this is comparable to the US zip code?)
                Postal Codes are @#@ #@# (@= letter, #= number). When I was living there my postal code was T2J 1X8. The total number of potential combinations means that there's about one potential combination for every 1.7 people or so, if I remember correctly, and in practice, you end up with a new postal code for every street or so. It would kind of be like being in the US and being told you need to give the full zip+4 for every transaction. Normally, not much of an issue... unless you just moved two blocks away and now need to figure out what the last half of your code is.

I believe that a bit of editing of codes goes on. As mentioned, C0X prefix didn't end up assigned anywhere, and somehow the north pole ended up with the postal code of H0H 0H0.

Comment

I don't know if they really work that way. I just have 3am SCs that claim they do. Honestly I think its more likely they force money into the machine then wonder why it doesn't read, but can't dig it back out again. -.-

Yes, you can look up someone's street by their postal code. Most postal codes only apply to 1 street. In smaller communities they apply to 1-3 streets. I know this because we have a database at work that will dig up someone's street name when you plug in a postal code. Really small or rural towns only get one postal code. Larger cities you get one for every street.

Comment

Correction- in bigger communities, postal codes are assigned specifics blocks on a street. The folks across the street as well as the folks one block over will have a different postal code than yourself.

Wow, I'm such a geek.

Comment

Quoth BusBus View Post
                      Correction- in bigger communities, postal codes are assigned specifics blocks on a street. The folks across the street as well as the folks one block over will have a different postal code than yourself.

Wow, I'm such a geek.

Well, whatever it is, it terrifies people. ^^

They freak out when you suddenly tell them what street they're on. I love doing it. =p

Comment

They freak out when you suddenly tell them what street they're on. I love doing it. =p
                        That does sound like fun

OK, so the Canadian system is a bit more confusing than ours. Zip codes cover whole towns, sometimes 2 if they're small enough; a big enough city might have more than one. But unless you've just moved it shouldn't be any harder than remembering your phone number. But then again, if you're the sort who just has to order a hat over the phone at 3 in the morning...

Posture Moll
                        "Do many of us really?

Holy smokin', that's like forgetting one's home phone number."

Gravekeeper sure seems to get a lot of them...
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

What freaks 'em out even more is when you identify the apartment complex that they live in. My building has it's own postal code. When run through the canadapost website, the name of the building is listed.

"So, you live in Sewerview Manor? How's that working out?"

"Get out of my head! AHHHHH!"

The one benefit to having the idiot who forgets his postal code in front of you is, if he's being an ass, you can hand him the big book of postal codes and tell him to find it

Comment

Quoth BusBus View Post
                            The one benefit to having the idiot who forgets his postal code in front of you is, if he's being an ass, you can hand him the big book of postal codes and tell him to find it
                            I actually had to do that once. I had just moved into a new place less than a week ago, and was filling out a form to sign up for a newsletter, when I realized I couldn't remember my new postal code. So I went to the Canada Post kiosk just down the mall, and had to look up my address in the big book. Took less time then I thought it would.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Me: "Good evening <lawyer's office>"
                              SC: "..I think I made a huge mistake."
                              What? Was this person trying to call the 24 hour pizza place?
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X