This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty Sneaky, Sis.

Hey guys, been gone for a while. Relocated after school, and am still working for the same company. No jobs related to my major, and I have no car to travel to the places that do have it, so once again I'm doing the retail thing. I know, it sucks, but after all the job hunting I did they were the only ones who would hire me for some reason, and I was desperate for money. The customers here are a lot nicer, though.

And then there's this sweet lady.

She came in wanting to get a price adjustment on some stuff she bought the day before because she now had a coupon. I told her that we do not do coupon related price adjustments. She said, fine, she'll do a return and then repurchase them and use the coupon. I said no, that's how we do price adjustments, and I still could not do that for her. She played dumb, I called the manager, the manager had my back for once, and the woman got mad and left. Good.

Five minutes later she comes back with two items. She wanted to use the coupon. Fine. I did everything as usual. It's all done, right? NOOOO! As soon as I hand her the receipt she says, "Okay, now I want to do the return.

Okay, here's what happened for those of you who got lost along the way. She realized that she couldn't get the price adjustment one way, so she decided to purchase the same items, use the coupon, then return the ones that she bought the day before. She ended up getting the difference back on her card, so she ended up getting the price adjustment. I was so angry when I realized what she'd done, but at that point there was nothing I could do about it except do the return.

People like her piss me off so much. I could have gotten in trouble for doing something like that. I know it's a stupid rule and that no one thinks it makes sense, but when I tell you that I cannot do it you'd better believe I'm not just saying that to be a witch. We can get fired over simple stuff like that. Yes, it has happened many times before. You think it's ridiculous? Complain to the higher ups. Don't whine about it to me, because they don't pay me enough to sympathize with you.

All that for ten bucks that she probably would have spent on more shit she didn't need. It sure was clever, though.
    Check out my art: http://mechanicold.deviantart.com/

Well, that's pretty much how most of my customers did it...which was frankly within the rules. She bought new items with her coupon and returned old items. Nothing in the rules said she couldn't. I don't see how you'd get in trouble for doing that.

The trouble always happened when we didn't have any in the right size for the customer to buy NOW, and so couldn't do just that. THAT'S when the shit would hit the fan.

("you bought it at regular price three months ago, when we had all the sizes...and now want to get the clearence price when we have almost nothing left?" )
    I no longer fear HELL.
    I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
      Well, that's pretty much how most of my customers did it...which was frankly within the rules. She bought new items with her coupon and returned old items. Nothing in the rules said she couldn't. I don't see how you'd get in trouble for doing that.

Well, it still pissed me off because she could have just gone to someone else and done it. Even when I was thinking about it she really didn't break any rules, but it was the act itself. I don't know, I'm not sure I'm even making any sense. Let's just say that I'd never tell a customer to do it the way she did, and I won't do this kind of thing anymore from now on. If it does happen again I'll just tell them to have someone else ring them up.

Comment

What I always hated was folks who brought stuff back six months later and wanted the clearence price for it! I told them 'no', and that we had to 'put the item in our back area to be re-priced'.
        They thought they should get the clearence price, even tho they got the item when we had all the sizes and colors (hence the regular price...you pay more for fresh, better-selection items!)
        You pay clearence for left-overs.

We did NOT do price adjustments on clearence items unless the guest could find the SAME SIZE AND COLOR on the selling floor.
        I no longer fear HELL.
        I work in RETAIL.

Comment

I honestly think it was a pretty smart way to get around the issue. Granted, she probably should have gone to another employee to do the return, but I'm sure at that point she wanted to be an SC.

$10 is $10. I'd have done the same thing. :P
          Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth SourRobot View Post
            I don't know, I'm not sure I'm even making any sense. Let's just say that I'd never tell a customer to do it the way she did, and I won't do this kind of thing anymore from now on.
            You're making sense. Even if you weren't, you're frustrated and venting about your day which is what we're here for.

You don't have to defend yourself. It's not our place to judge. We weren't there. You know the rules and the situation because you WERE there.

Personally, I think what she did was a dick move. I'd be pissed too.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

And in terms of time and gas spent to get to the store, not financially worth it.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Did she return a Connect 4 Game?

Comment

What Peppergirl said.

Sure, it's a sucky rule, but it's your job. You get payed for following the rules (and fired for breaking them), customers that do stuff like this should have the decency to at least either break up the transactions, or do it to some one who hasn't told them no.

Personally, I rest the blame on this one with the company, it was the one thing I really liked about the store I worked retail for, they had a flat out price matching thingy, where if your purchase went on sale within the return limit, bring the stuff in and we would do an even swap and return the extra cash. There were of course some exceptions I think, but not many. My sucky version of this was the friken GENIUSES that would try to do this, but wouldn't bring in either the item (look, just bring it in, it's required), or the Receipt (seriously?!?!).

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                    You're making sense. Even if you weren't, you're frustrated and venting about your day which is what we're here for.

You don't have to defend yourself. It's not our place to judge. We weren't there. You know the rules and the situation because you WERE there.

Personally, I think what she did was a dick move. I'd be pissed too.
                    Thank you. I've brushed it off now, but I just needed to vent so that I wouldn't be so mad and dwell on it.

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
                    Did she return a Connect 4 Game?
                    I see what you did there. I knew someone would mention it.

Quoth thansal View Post

My sucky version of this was the friken GENIUSES that would try to do this, but wouldn't bring in either the item (look, just bring it in, it's required), or the Receipt (seriously?!?!).
                    At my store all you need is the receipt, and they don't need to bring in the merchandise. They usually do though, thank goodness, and as long as it's within the time limit for adjustments we'll do it. I've had a couple people try to get adjustments without bringing their receipts, and even had two people try to do it over the phone. They didn't have any luck with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X