This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A TV is not an Emergency

Of course 4 hours after re-registering as a member here, a crazy person spawns a post! LOL

5 minutes before locking the door and going home from the TV repair shop I work at, I get a phone call from a customer. They want to know if we repair a certain kind of TV and if we do in-home service calls.

After answering yes to both questions, I asked if they'd like to set up a service call and that we could send a tech over in the morning.

Cue the customer FLIPPING out:

"WTF do you mean TOMORROW?? I have people coming over in an hour! I need someone NOOOOOW!!!111!!

O_o

Even after explaining that 1) we were about to close, 2) Our tech was already ON a service call (it was on his way home) and 3) even if we could get there, the chances are high that we'd have to order a part anyway, this guy was still flipping out. Over a TV. That broke 20 minutes earlier.

I finally got him off the phone by saying that obviously we couldn't help him, but not before being told to eff myself and being hung up on.

Dude. A broken TV is NOT an emergency. Thank dog I don't offend easily!
    "You are beginning to damage my calm."

sheesh, it isn't like Survior is on tonight or anything...

And if it is some big important game (although that was the other night) then he can just call everyone and have them meet him at the local sports bar.

Comment

Or buy a new TV. Flatscreens have come waay down in price.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Seriously! If it were that big of a deal, why not go buy one?? You can get a 37" at Wally World for less than $400. Granted, they aren't uber spiffy versions, but they work. It's got to be better than that 6-year-old projection he was whining about.

We do sell TVs, but I wasn't about to tell him that :P

Comment

Good idea. He'd probably demand a discount because you weren't able to accommodate his demand for a service visit.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

"I want that one for $200."

The 50-inch plasma??

"yes."

FAIL

Comment

Even $400 is out of range of some people (which is why I'm still staring at a regular old four-year-old non-HD TV).

Still, flipping out at the TV repair guy isn't going to change the fact that they can't get out there until morning. He has a better chance of hitting up a neighbor for a loaner for the night (or get one of his guests to bring one with them).
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Even $400 is out of range of some people
                Which is why I'm staring at a 10-year-old tube TV :P

A repair for a TV like that could run the gauntlet of $300 to $3000, so he might end up spending that $400 if he wants a working TV.

Comment

I have to agree. Money for a telly just isn't in my budget. The television I have is about three years old, and it was a gift from my mother. (She'd gotten some past-due money from my father for once, and bought herself an high-definition flat screen.) She gave her old, discarded telly, a normal, simple telly, to me. And that is what I have. Period.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

No TV and no beer make SC something something.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Ours is currently 6 years old, and was low-end when we bought it. It still works, though the buttons on the TV itself seem to have rewired themselves. (Power switch changes the channel, channel buttons change the volume, volume buttons open up the menu, and menu button powers off the TV...but about 30% of the time the buttons all work properly.)

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                      No TV and no beer make SC something something.
                      Go crazy?
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post

Dude. A broken TV is NOT an emergency. Thank dog I don't offend easily!
                        Obliviously you never worked for a cable company....
                        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Obliviously you never worked for a cable company
                          And I plan on keeping the trend up if at all possible! :P

We do sell DirecTV and Dish here, so we do get a taste. But not like a cable company help desk employee, I'm sure!

Comment

TV is not in the cards for me right now, so we have an old CRT as well... but we put a flatscreen TV on our wedding registry, not so that anyone would buy it for us, but because we'll get the completion discount if we buy it ourselves. XD

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
                              We do sell DirecTV and Dish here, so we do get a taste. But not like a cable company help desk employee, I'm sure!
                              I'm not sure what it says about a cable rep's usual day, but recently I had a cable modem die on me. One of the big branch offices are just down the road from me, so I got permission from the person on the phone to just take it in a swap it out. Unfortunately, I got two bad replacements in a row. The third time I went in, I asked politely if I could just plug the third replacement in to make sure it at least powered up. After explaining it was my third time in that day, I got a free intenet upgrade to their higher-speed plan. I think they were just happy I wasn't blowing up on them, or something.
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X