Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why not buy a morning paper like... in the morning!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why not buy a morning paper like... in the morning!

It was a quiet night in petrol tonight. I was on the window while my CW was counting and tying up the newspapers. Someone came up to me and asked for some cigs and the Daily Star (one of our more trashier newspapers)

Me "Do we have any more Daily Stars?"
    CW "No they've been counted!"
    Customer "I've seen them on the floor"
    Me "Sorry, once they've been counted and bundled up and put onto our system we can't sell anymore"
    Customer "What! They're on the floor I've seen them! Don't tell me about being bundled up. I'm coming back tomorrow and speaking to your manager about this!" (turns to someone who is waiting to pay for fuel) "You heard him! He won't sell me a paper!"

With that he flounced back to his car in a huff and while the other customer just laughed at him. It was 8:30pm. Who buys morning mewspapers at that time at night? That's why we tie them all up at that time, because nobody buys them at night, plus I don't know of any shop that keeps it's morning newspapers available right up until closing time.

My CW was on the phone to one of our supervisors later and told her what had happened. The supervisors reply? "Forget about it, he's a knob" and they both had a good laugh over it.

Quoth Gibbo View Post
    My CW was on the phone to one of our supervisors later and told her what had happened. The supervisors reply? "Forget about it, he's a knob" and they both had a good laugh over it.
    I remember having supervisors like that. It was awesome.

Comment

I've bought a paper at night. But you know whats funny. If I go into the gas station and there is none, I say oh well shit guess I wont get one. Never have I screamed and threw a tantrum. I had a woman a few years ago do everything but throw herself on the floor and scream, my crime we were out of New York times. She kicked,stomped,and yelled.

Comment

Some think that if they wait until the end of the day to buy a paper they can get it cheaper (seriously? it's only 50 cents to begin with) because "the store's just going to throw it away anyway". I'm not sure how true that is, but when I worked at a bookstore that carried newspapers we'd always get a few like that (complete with tantrums).

My mom did that once when both our pictures got in the paper; she didn't know about the photos until a friend called her in the afternoon. Although she wasn't an SC about it...quite the opposite in fact, I think the c-store clerk was mildly surprised when he said they were out of papers at 6 PM and her reply was "that's ok, I'll just take a lotto quick-pick then".
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          Some think that if they wait until the end of the day to buy a paper they can get it cheaper (seriously? it's only 50 cents to begin with) because "the store's just going to throw it away anyway". I'm not sure how true that is, but when I worked at a bookstore that carried newspapers we'd always get a few like that (complete with tantrums).
          We have to send our unsold papers back to the distributor and we get credited on them.

Comment

I once had to buy a paper late at night. My niece was in an article and she found out at school that day but didn't tell us til late at night. I drove to 2 different convenience stores to find one. Luckily one store still had them. But I didn't yell at the first store that was sold out at midnight.

Comment

Working...
            X