Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to admit that I have gotten free stuff before when my order was wrong, but not because I threw a fit or anything. I used to order from this excellent restaurant when I lived in a larger area. I would normally get a particular salad, but I must have pronounced it funny because probably 20% of the time I would get this other salad with toppings I simply did not like. I would call up immediately and politely inform them of the error. They were always very prompt at sending someone back out with the correct order. Every single time it occurred I would have the incorrect salad packaged up ready to hand back to the delivery person, but it was refused each time. It was a real shame, too, because I never ate it. I mean, obviously they would have to throw it away anyway (unless someone wanted to eat it, but given the business I wouldn't take that chance), but it was still odd that they never wanted the incorrect one back, since I didn't pay for it.
    "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Fair enough -- but the driver should never have had to wait more than sixty seconds under any (non-emergency) circumstances anyway. When you order something to be delivered in half an hour, it is your (the buyer's) responsibility to be ready for someone to come knocking on your door!
      I wish someone would inform some of my suctomer of that courtsey cause some of them seem to want to either
      1. get busy (use your imagination)
      2. finish that long game level (not knowing how to use pause)
      3. wait until commercials come on the TV
      4. are just generally lazy shits
      5. order then fall asleep
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
        I wish someone would inform some of my suctomer of that courtsey cause some of them seem to want to either
        6. Order then take a shower
        7. Order then go out to buy groceries (leaving the house empty) -- not just some cokes, a whole shopping trip
        8. Order then go pick up a friend from somewhere
        9. Order, be given a 45-minute delivery time, and say OK even tho you HAVE to leave the house in 45 minutes to get to the opera on time...meaning, the food will go to waste anyway...and still placing the order...

Yes, all of these have happened to me.

Quoth ExRetailDrone View Post
        I mean, obviously they would have to throw it away anyway (unless someone wanted to eat it, but given the business I wouldn't take that chance), but it was still odd that they never wanted the incorrect one back, since I didn't pay for it.
        Yup, they do have to throw it away even if someone there DOES want to eat it, technically.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have to admit that I have gotten free stuff before when my order was wrong, but not because I threw a fit or anything.
          I got a free order from the local shop once, because they misplaced my order and didn't find it until about an hour later. I was just starting to wonder where my food was, when they called me and told me what happened. They apologized and told me they'd get it there just as soon as they could, and that there would be no charge. So while they screwed up, they did make it right.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

MM - ya see, that's the way to do it. The shop legitimately screwed up and went out of their way to make it right ^_^

The ones that worry me are the SC's who "find something wrong" on *every*single*order*that*they*place* (and get a free card every time, too)... which makes me wonder, why do they still buy food from that shop? Has everyone else already banned them?
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              MM - ya see, that's the way to do it. The shop legitimately screwed up and went out of their way to make it right ^_^

The ones that worry me are the SC's who "find something wrong" on *every*single*order*that*they*place* (and get a free card every time, too)... which makes me wonder, why do they still buy food from that shop? Has everyone else already banned them?
              could not have said it better myself. when we still recorded complaints on the POS system occasionally we would see things like:

5 complaints in the last 10 orders
              3 complaints in the last 5 orders
              and the most famous one
              10 complaints in the last 10 orders (all wrong pizzas or the order was wrong)

the last one was a hotel owner who we KNEW was placing incorrect orders so they could get stuff free. we called them out on that becasue the manager was there when the order was placed and they got what they originally ordered. The manager told them we obviously were NOT serving their needs and that they should order from soemwhere else. they did not like that and proceeded to ban us from the property. no sweat though it was a real fleabag hotel no real lost business. he called our franchise office and got free stuff and we still would not deliver to him. he called or complained to the company corp office and they gave him free stuff ans we still would not deliver to him.

so we remain banned from the property. no big loss. though this is the ONLY place we have banned or have been banned from in our area

Comment

Heh, you guys should have gone ahead and simply delivered the free stuff, only toss it out onto the sidewalk, parking lot, or whatever, and maybe even kicked it toward the hotel (while staying on public property, of course!), then called from your cell, and let him know it's out there.

Woulda been fun to watch him come out and go

Mike
                Meow.........

Comment

One question: When I order food over the phone, and am not a known customer of that place, they will call back the number I have given them, to verify that they have the right number.
                  While this is not proof against prank calls ordering for some unsuspecting victim (if this happens, the number will go into the 'do not sell to' - list), it should work wonders on fake or disconnected numbers you are given.

Any chance to do this kind of thing?
                  I still miss my ex.
                  But my aim is getting better.

Comment

1. no one answered the door buzzer

and on top of that the "claim" they were home at the time the order was orginally delivered.
                    I know that in my apartment, when I am in my room, I normally won't hear someone knocking at the door. (We don't have a doorbell.) But because I DO know this, I will always ask the delivery places to have the driver call my cell when they get here. 98% of the time, they do just that, and I answer the door promptly. The smarter drivers actually call me after they've parked but while they are still walking to my apartment, so that I will be waiting at the door for them. Occasionally, the driver won't call, and will be banging at my door for an extended time...but I have done my part.

Now, obviously the customers in the OP did not do their part, as they did not make sure that someone would hear the door or be ready for the driver. If they were even home. I think both scenarios are viable.

Quoth Greenday View Post
                    If I call and claim that they screwed up my order, I get free stuff.
                    It's not always that simple. Perfect example from my college days: my buddy SMA and I order a pizza from a local place. We'll call it Joseph's. We receive the pizza. We open the box.

And jump back in abject horror.

The thing in the box looks pizza-like, in its shape and form. But it is by far the nastiest "pizza" we've ever seen, with grease congealed on top. This looks like someone's science experiment that's been in their fridge a few weeks too long. And yet, it is allegedly right out of the oven. So SMA calls Franklin's back to complain. Loudly.

Apparently at one point in the convo, Franklin's offered to send out a second pizza for free. Not missing a beat, SMA said, "What, are you trying to KILL us?!?"

I couldn't stop laughing.

We never ordered from that place again. We just weren't that masochistic.

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                    It's official: RM wins the CS award for most spineless management.
                    I dunno, Pepper. We've heard some horror stories in here about some seriously spineless management. I don't think I'd give RM the award just yet, to be honest.

Every single time it occurred I would have the incorrect salad packaged up ready to hand back to the delivery person, but it was refused each time. It was a real shame, too, because I never ate it.
                    Since the item has left their possession, and they can't verify that you have not eaten it/pawed it/licked it/done other nasty things with it (not that YOU would, but other less genteel people certainly might), they have to either refuse it or pitch it. It actually looks better on their part if they refuse it, as they are giving you (or a friend of yours, since you don't like it) free food. It's not only good health code procedure, it's good PR.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    The second (or third?) time that a local pizza and pasta place royally screwed up our order, we stopped ordering from them. No muss, no fuss...sure, we called them when the order was wrong, but we didn't whine and cry and bitch about taking our business elsewhere.

We just simply DID take our business elsewhere. Haven't ordered from those fuckers since. Damn shame, too, because when they got it right, they were usually spot on....but near the end, not only was their accuracy off, the quality of the food itself was pretty down, too.

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                    Heh, you guys should have gone ahead and simply delivered the free stuff, only toss it out onto the sidewalk, parking lot, or whatever, and maybe even kicked it toward the hotel (while staying on public property, of course!), then called from your cell, and let him know it's out there.
                    As entertaining as that might be, it would be bad form. Forget the fact that you would be lowering yourself to the lameass petty level of the motel folks. It's just bad PR for the pizza company, if anyone happens to be passing by and sees one of their drivers "delivering" one of their pizzas in that manner. Sure, you can explain it, but not everyone will be interested in the explanation, not everyone would believe the explanation, and not everyone would even stick around to hear the explanation.

As I said, bad form.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

I dunno, Pepper. We've heard some horror stories in here about some seriously spineless management. I don't think I'd give RM the award just yet, to be honest.

nope not the most spineless by far. we have not given away a $1000 TV yet

my company's managers are trained from day one to just give it away free. less complaints to the franchise and corp HQ the less trouble those above us at the store level have to deal with. most of the time we will NOT ask for the "bad" or wrong product to be returned (even if it is not our fault)

unless the pattern is VERY noticeable (as in more than once a week for 3 weeks or so) they just let it go. we can NOT ban scammers/people/addresses/phone numbers/etc. that is downside of using a paper based system instead of the computer POS system (where EVERY complaint or wrong order gets recorded and tracked). even enough complaints will just cause the scammer to be an annoying background buzz.

Comment

unless the pattern is VERY noticeable (as in more than once a week for 3 weeks or so) they just let it go. we can NOT ban scammers/people/addresses/phone numbers/etc. that is downside of using a paper based system instead of the computer POS system (where EVERY complaint or wrong order gets recorded and tracked). even enough complaints will just cause the scammer to be an annoying background buzz.
                        That really stinks. Your company is losing a lot of money doing this, and causing its employees a lot of unnecessary stress. They really should get a computerized system, and a backbone.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          That really stinks. Your company is losing a lot of money doing this, and causing its employees a lot of unnecessary stress. They really should get a computerized system, and a backbone.

Oh we DO have a POS system that is very capable of recording customer complaints, the number of complaints to date and the nature of the complaint. management just chooses NOT to use that feature of the POS system so they are doing it to themselves

Comment

Oh we DO have a POS system that is very capable of recording customer complaints, the number of complaints to date and the nature of the complaint. management just chooses NOT to use that feature of the POS system so they are doing it to themselves
                            That would require managers smarter than a POS. (And POS does not stand for Point Of Sale.)

...some managers sure polish up nice, for being a t**d...
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                            X