This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not picking up their papers

So, I deliver [Local Newspaper] and [Big National Business Newspaper]. Most of my [Big National Business Newspaper] subscribers are students who have it as a required test for their economics classes. Most of these same students also do not like to pick up their newspaper. I think it's either because with the greater prevalence of netbooks/laptops + the University improving their WiFi, they're just accessing their subscription online and ignoring the print version. Either that or they just don't give a crap. I'm sure it's a bit of both.

The problem with [Big National Business Newspaper] is that, unlike with the local paper, if I call in a "paper pile-up", they don't do anything. The local paper will go ahead and suspend the subscription. But [Big National Business Newspaper] just keeps them coming. I virtually never have pile-ups with the local paper, but about half of my [Big National Business Newspaper] do not pick up their newspapers!!!

I'll start with the two most recent stories notable, and work back from there.

I can see you!

One of my customers picks up her papers only about every other week or so. I see lights going on and off in the apartment, so it's clear that someone is in there and just not picking up their newspapers, so I didn't feel too bad about letting them pile up.

The other morning, I actually had the pleasure of seeing the customer. She was standing in the doorway, getting some air. Great! I thought. I can talk to her about why she's not picking up her papers!

I got out of my car and approached the building. She smiled and waved at me. Then she looked at the newspaper in my hand. Her eyes got wide. She quickly bolted back inside, slammed the door (sure the neighbors loved that at 3am), and turned off all the lights inside.

I made sure to peg her door extra hard with the paper. BAM! Your newspaper is here!

Yes, that's YOUR paper!

I got a subscription start at a secured building, so I just dropped the paper off at the door. No one was picking it up. I knew I had the right building. Someone had gathered them into a pile by the door, but they weren't being picked up.

I finally decided to bring a pen along with me, and wrote the apartment number on the newspaper. The next morning, all the papers were gone. So far, someone's been being picked up. I figure maybe I drilled it into the customer's head that yes, those are their newspapers by the front door!

Ankle-deep

Now for a couple older stories.

I delivered to a 2nd-story apartment. I just tossed the newspapers up to their porch from the parking lot. I never walked up there.

Occasionally, we'll get bags with product samples to deliver the newspapers in. One morning, it was mini boxes of cereal. They were bulky and a pain to deliver, but the leftovers gave me free breakfast for a week, so it was all good.

Anyways, I didn't want to damage the samples too badly, so that morning I opted to actually walk up to this apartment to deliver their paper...

...and discovered there was literally an ankle-deep layer of newspapers all over their porch!

Of course, as I said, calling [Big National Business Newspaper] for a pile-up doesn't do squat. I stopped by once a week to see if the pile ever disappeared (it didn't), but otherwise I just held onto the papers and enjoyed the subscription myself until it expired.

Wrong address all quarter long

At the start of Fall Quarter, I had a subscription for a house. It was dark, no one had their porch lights on, and the cops were shining their searchlights in the bushes this morning. I had the address narrowed down to three possible houses, but with all the police activity (sadly, the norm for this neighborhood), I didn't want to go poking around too much. I figured I'd take my best guess. If I was right, cool; if I was wrong, they'd complain and I'd try something else.

So I took my best guess. No complaints. Alright! So I kept delivering to that house everyday.

Eventually, Dead Week (week before finals) rolled around, and I got a complaint...from the address next to my subscriber's address. Basically, it said that they'd been getting [Big National Business Newspaper] for several weeks and weren't supposed to get it.

Based off the address on that complaint, I was able to determine the right house. I began delivering there, and their subscription ended a week later after finals.

So for about three months, (1) the subscriber never complained and (2) the people who were getting the paper never said anything either; they just quietly enjoyed their "free subscription". Just great.

And the rest...

As I said, half. Half of my student subscribers don't pick up their papers. That's no exaggeration. If it's a secure building or if I'm pretty sure they are there and just being a lazy ass, I'll let the papers pile up. But if I'm not sure, then I get free newspapers. (I just stop by once a week to see if the old papers are gone before delivering new ones.) Subscriptions to [Big National Business Newspaper] don't exactly run cheap, so why would you just throw that money away? Oh well. I get paid regardless of whether they pick up their paper or not, so I can't complain too much. It would be nice if [Big National Business Newspaper] would actually bother to communicate with their paper carriers, but like I said, I get paid even if they don't pick up their papers.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

ok.... maybe i'm missing something here.........

..... but .....

WHY in the name of all that is holy, since you get paid one way or the other, do you CARE if the papers pile up?

you do your job, you deliver. all well and fine. they pile up......NOT your problem.

now if i AM missing something, my apologies, but otherwise, stop stressing over something that doesn't matter to your paycheck.

Comment

Heh. I wish someone would suspend delivery of the local paper to MY building...

I suspect the subscription belongs to the neighbors upstairs. It started piling up not long after they moved in. Either that, or it belonged to the previous neighbors, and never stopped being delivered. But the problem is, it keeps getting tossed in front of MY door, since our door is the one that actually faces the parking lot. We can get about a week's worth out there at a time, and I don't want to throw them away because they're not mine, but it's annoying and messy and underfoot.
      It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

If they don't actually want the paper edition, why don't they just subscribe to the electronic edition? I sub to the WSJ, and I don't get a print edition! Why would you bother with both, if you don't actually need the paper itself?
        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
        - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth The Electric Fetus View Post
          ..... but .....

WHY in the name of all that is holy, since you get paid one way or the other, do you CARE if the papers pile up?

you do your job, you deliver. all well and fine. they pile up......NOT your problem.

now if i AM missing something, my apologies, but otherwise, stop stressing over something that doesn't matter to your paycheck.
          While I do like getting paid, (1) piled up papers is an eyesore and (2) it attracts burglars. They see piled up papers, infer that the people must have left for the weekend/week/whatever, and see a nice target. And the more a place is burgled, the less money that customer has for subscriptions/to tip me with.

So my options are either let them pile up or let them clutter my car. I don't really care that much, but it does get on my nerves when I have half a dozen customers at a time not picking up their papers.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

they are crazy. why would you let a newspaper pile up in front of your house or apartment?

That's how you ATTRACT thieves. cos if someone is casing the area and sees a giant-ass-pile of newspapers they'll think no one's been home for a long time and therefore no one will notice a robbery.

now granted it won't play out that way cos the residents WILL notice that they've come home to a vandalized home but... well it's too late then. their shit's stolen.

and you mentioned all the police activity so it sounds like it may have already happened to people.

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post

I suspect the subscription belongs to the neighbors upstairs. It started piling up not long after they moved in. Either that, or it belonged to the previous neighbors, and never stopped being delivered. But the problem is, it keeps getting tossed in front of MY door, since our door is the one that actually faces the parking lot. We can get about a week's worth out there at a time, and I don't want to throw them away because they're not mine, but it's annoying and messy and underfoot.
              You know what....even if it wasn't mine...I would give it about 1 week and then I would start tossing them anyway. If they don't want it thrown out then they need to come get it. I do the same thing with the paper recycling by the printer/fax machine. If shit starts piling up in the box it goes. If you don't like it, come get your crap in a timely manner.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post

apartment? get a big stack and drop them off at the office

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post

Of course, as I said, calling [Big National Business Newspaper] for a pile-up doesn't do squat. I stopped by once a week to see if the pile ever disappeared (it didn't), but otherwise I just held onto the papers and enjoyed the subscription myself until it expired.
                  This is what I have a problem with, you stole from them. It is not your job to decide if they needed/were reading the paper, it was your job to deliver it. If it just piled up, it was/is on them.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
                    This is what I have a problem with, you stole from them. It is not your job to decide if they needed/were reading the paper, it was your job to deliver it. If it just piled up, it was/is on them.
                    Except that if one of our drivers is going through the neighborhood and sees the pile-up, then I do get in trouble for letting them pile up. If it's visible from the street and one of my supers sees it, I do get a nice lecture about that (aforementioned security reasons and all that), so it is my business if they pile up. Most of the apartments they can't see it, but when it's visible from the street, that's when I for sure stop delivering the paper. I am technically not supposed to let them pile up at any point.

Proper procedure for me to call in a pile-up for [Local Paper] is to gather up all the old papers for disposal, deliver just the most recent one, and call to have delivery stopped. Unfortunately, if I do the same for [Big National Business Newspaper], delivery still isn't stopped, even though dispatch will tell me it will be taken care of, it never is.
                    Last edited by bhskittykatt; 02-03-2011, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Also newspaper is almost as good as flash paper at catching fire...
                      Bark like a chicken!

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out what the girl from the first story thought you were going to do that scared her so bad.

Comment

On the weekends the local paper usually gets delivered to me. I feel bad about it because I don't read it. I don't pay for it either, but they keep delivering it to me only on the weekends.

I'm a complete news junkie. By the time the paper gets to me all of the news in the paper is ancient history. I just get all of my news online.

Comment

i like the sunday papers for the comics. and coupons. but i don't often get it.

although... i did start buying a few extra copies of the paper when i had to move. heh - cheap packing paper!

Comment

Working...
                            X