This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir, we don't give away free coffee

I just got off the phone with a bitchy truck driver who came into our facility to fuel his vehicle. After he'd come inside and paid, he waddled over to the coffee machine, poured himself a cup and then proceeded to walk out the door. The manager stopped him when he noticed this and said that he had to pay for the coffee. The trucker went off on a tirade, saying that he comes in here all the time and that if they wanted to keep his business they would give him the coffee free of charge.

**A quick note, the station he was in always has customers at every pump, often with several cars lined up behind the car that's currently pumping, so it's not like we're in dire straits attracting repeat customers.

Thinking fast, the manager turned to the other customers in the store who were watching this lunatic make his demands and asked them "If I give this guy free coffee to reward him for his threat, while I force guys you people to pay for your coffee, how many of you would ever come back to buy fuel here?"

The lesson here is that apparently by involving other people in a situation with an SC who aren't burdened by the weight of having to act nice to keep their job, you can get a far better, if not more blunt, resolution to these problems.

A couple of the customers in line were construction workers, very good at catcalling, who went off on the guy, calling him everything from being a freeloader to a no good f****b**a****. The manager, now having the answer to his question, turned back to the guy and told him he wasn't getting it for free, because if he lost his business it would be peanuts compared to losing the business of all the rest of those in line.

The guy left his coffee there and hightailed it out with his dignity in tatters. It's funny that he still had the balls to call after such an escapade but I told him he wasn't getting free coffee and that if he didn't want to come back then fine, we'd just rely on our other thousands of customers to get through the day. I was very satisfied hanging up on him then.

PS. I just made that manager employee of the month which gave him a nice bonus to go along with it.
    Part Angel Part Sadist

Pwned! to that manager!
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

All Hail the Protector of the Coffee and the Dignity of Employees Everywhere!!!

I'm in love..
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth nuthing12 View Post
        PS. I just made that manager employee of the month which gave him a nice bonus to go along with it.
        A well-deserved honor. All hail the Manager With A Backbone!
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

If memory serves, stations don't make squat on gas sales, only the merchandise sold inside. So giving away a free cup and coffee is actually costing you more than you'd ever make on his so-called repeat gas business.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Great pwnage job by the manager, and kudos to you for not only backing him up, but for rewarding him as well!

Mike
            Meow.........

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              If memory serves, stations don't make squat on gas sales, only the merchandise sold inside. So giving away a free cup and coffee is actually costing you more than you'd ever make on his so-called repeat gas business.
              Aye. It's even worse for the dwindling number of "independent" (non-corporate-run) stations -- they often cost more than Corp stores, as they often pay Retail (or close to it) for their actual fuel, while the Corp stores get it for noticeably less. (This, according to they guys who used to run our local indie gas station)
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                Great pwnage job by the manager, and kudos to you for not only backing him up, but for rewarding him as well!
                Mike
                The location is a franchised owned operation so unless its an egregious breach of policy or conduct, there's no reason to go after a good guy going after a thief. By doing so he's showing he really is on our side.
                Part Angel Part Sadist

Comment

A wonderful manager. Resourceful, too. Brilliant move, taking an opinion poll of the other shoppers in the story.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Truck companies also tend to have agreements with fuel stations allowing them to get thier fuel at a lesser cost than an independent driver or a regular person driving a 4 wheeler. So if this guy was a company driver then the station was making very little to almost nothing on the fuel. Those agreements are made with the fact that Truckers are going to buy things at the store.

Comment

The manager is effective because he's backed by an effective boss. I've seen the otherside of the coin too where the spineless managment bent over backwards for people like the coffee guy. just to avoid having to hear about it from their bosses.

I just wish I worked in more places like this one.

Comment

Wow, way to go. I'm impressed.

Jerks like that give good truck drivers a very bad name

Comment

Quoth laborcat View Post
                          Jerks like that give good truck drivers a very bad name
                          It's that way with any group or subgroup of people. 90-95% of them are decent human beings; it's the tiny minority that make the most noise and the biggest nuisances of themselves and make all the others look bad.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Congrats on your reward... and the manager of the month award too!

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                              The manager is effective because he's backed by an effective boss. I've seen the otherside of the coin too where the spineless managment bent over backwards for people like the coffee guy. just to avoid having to hear about it from their bosses.

I just wish I worked in more places like this one.
                              And then there's the situation where I work: A manager with a spine vs. a corporate without one.

You can probably guess who wins most of the time.
                              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Working...
                              X