Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea, something's not quite right here.

So last night was my first day back after a week being snowed in and then a week of medical leave. I'm on my break and A from electronics comes back for his lunch and tells me there's a lady out there waiting on me for a contract. She didn't have here license but she knew the number. A said he told her he didn't know if I could do it or not. I'm thinking great, this is gonna go horribly, but go out there.

She tells me her wallet was stolen with everything in it, and that's why she didn't have her license, but she kept repeating that she knew it, that she could tell me it. She also kept saying A had told her that that was all she needed. I asked if she had any picture ID and she says yes, and pulls out a wallet.

This wasn't a new wallet either, it had wear to it. She opens it and pulls out a couple different college IDs, and I see a couple credit cards when she does so as well. I tell her I'm not certain if I can accept those, but that I'll call management. As I'm trying to talk to the manager (over the phone) she keeps telling me to make sure to tell him she knows the license number again. He says no way, and I relay this, and she asks if there's no way around that. I tell her she could try talking to Sprint themselves and see if they can do anything for her, and she just gave me this blank look and then asked to talk to the manager.

As she's talking to him I hear her repeating again several times that she knows her license number, and that she can give him her social security number, and that she has two forms of ID. The manager stands firm, and she says she needs a cell phone because she's a full time college student. I guess he suggested prepaid (exactly what I was thinking) cause she says "I'm not doing prepaid!) and then hands me the phone and stomps off.

I thank the manager and a little bit later F from electronics comes back. He says she had been in there before with that story, so he had gone back there to make sure the manager didn't cave. He also said she kept asking him to show her the box for the phone.
    I make music videos in my spare time. http://www.youtube.com/user/raven13x. Check them out ^_^

Smells like a scam to me.

I honestly don't know that I could keep from saying, "I thought you said your wallet was stolen, ma'am," when she pulled out the wallet with "her" stuff in it.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Serious scam. The are two reasons I don't have prepaid: my company gets a discount for all it's employees on personal plans, and I have a family plan with my husband and kids. Otherwise, I'd definitely be on an unlimited prepaid plan.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
        Smells like a scam to me.

I honestly don't know that I could keep from saying, "I thought you said your wallet was stolen, ma'am," when she pulled out the wallet with "her" stuff in it.
        I actually still have my state of Virginia DL, and a passport from the same time period over 20 years ago, and some assorted other paperwork, library card, gym membership card ..... so I could come up with ancient ID.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          I actually still have my state of Virginia DL, and a passport from the same time period over 20 years ago, and some assorted other paperwork, library card, gym membership card ..... so I could come up with ancient ID.
          Ah, but do you keep them in a completely separate wallet that you also carry around with you?
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

if your wallet is stolen, you load up what ID you DO have, and any replacement stuff that arrives quickly, into the old wallet that you put in a drawer when you got your new one. Thats what I'd do anyway, so it wouldn't worry me that her wallet looked worn.

But given the importance of a drivers licence for ID purposes in the US, surely that is the first thing she'd have sorted out as a replacement?

I would have thought that if she needed a cellphone so urgently she could get a prepaid one for a month or two, and then get a contract phone once she had replaced all her stolen IDs.
            A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
            - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
              if your wallet is stolen, you load up what ID you DO have, and any replacement stuff that arrives quickly, into the old wallet that you put in a drawer when you got your new one. Thats what I'd do anyway, so it wouldn't worry me that her wallet looked worn.
              Never would've thought to do that. But then I only get a new wallet when my old one is so worn out that it's going right in the trash once everything's moved over.

I do still find it curious that the woman in the OP had her wallet stolen, yet still had credit cards, student IDs, etc. And yes, didn't get the DL squared away ASAP.

Comment

sounds scammy to me

cos if i needed a cell that badly i'd be getting a cheap 14 dollah phone and buying minimal minutes
                or using my skype / google voice

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                  Never would've thought to do that. But then I only get a new wallet when my old one is so worn out that it's going right in the trash once everything's moved over.
                  I'm one of those people who will keep the old wallet. After all, it could have worked an extra day if I hadn't bought a new, it may come in handy if I'm going to some other countries (to keep the two sets of money separate). I have some old ID-cards and two old passports too.
                  I can't see why she couldn't either get a prepaid or wait for her new driving license, though. A memorised DL-number isn't really much of an ID.

Comment

She also mentioned that she was waiting on her social security card and birth certificate to be replaced, so apparently she had those in the wallet as well, and worked at getting them replaced before the DL.

Also, she told me she wanted an Optimus, but she kept asking F to show her the box for the Evo. So all told, even though some parts could be reasonable, together they don't add up.
                    I make music videos in my spare time. http://www.youtube.com/user/raven13x. Check them out ^_^

Comment

At least in Indiana, and I suspect in many other states as well, if her previous license was issued before her state began complying with the recommendations of the 9-11 commission (SecureID in Indiana, I'm sure other states have other names for it) the social security card and birth certificate (along with two bank statements or bills to prove residence) would be absolutely required to get a new license issued. Its a serious pain in the ass, yes. But that's why you don't carry your SS card or birth certificate with you unless you know you will specifically need them that day.

Indiana BMV SecureID program explanations and requirements
                      Last edited by SuperDan; 02-23-2011, 12:09 AM.
                      "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                      "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                      My MySpace
                      My LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                      X