This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pedersen View Post
    The poster in question deals with mileage logs day in/day out for taxes. He sees a wider variety of them than most all of the rest of us. For him, in his experience, an extremely even number for an annual log is extremely unusual, and worth double-checking.
    It's a red flag. You might not like it, you might be a personal counter example, with everything being exactly the same mileage day in, day out, more regular than clockwork, but you are not the norm.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. And thanks for not getting snarky on us--that's for SC's.
    Last edited by taxguykarl; 02-23-2011, 02:48 AM.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth lineswine View Post
      Even on our crowded wee island, I've done an average of 1000 miles a week as an installation/service engineer for over a year, so I can actually believe that.
      OK, so it was a company vehicle, but still feasible.
      If the SC does sales, then an exact amount of mileage is very suspicious. A sales rep, going all over town, should not rake up the same amount of miles every day, which is precisely why he should keep a log in the first place. If he works doing sales in a static location, then that is his commute and he's not entitled to claim a normal commute (which is what I think some other posted didn't realize).

When I do visits for hospice, I'll put anywhere between 200-300 miles on my car over the course of the weekend. I have to document both the mileage, and the time it took to drive it along with my documentation on the patient: the former because I am paid mileage (which I must declare on my tax return) and the latter because the company keeps track of my productivity (it shouldn't take an hour to drive 3 miles, for example).
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
        (it shouldn't take an hour to drive 3 miles, for example).
        Well unless you're trying to cross the George Washington Bridge at 8:00 in the morning, then it's not uncommon at all ...

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
          Well unless you're trying to cross the George Washington Bridge at 8:00 in the morning, then it's not uncommon at all ...
          Good point . . . .
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
          X