This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You're in university?"

So, I'm at work and some old lady comes up to the counter. I was admittedly a little frazzled because I had one print job that I was working on at the time, and I had a cutting job that I had to get to as well. It had been one of those days where it's very quiet for most of the day, then all of the sudden you find yourself with three jobs on your hands.

Things get off to a rocky start when she opens with something like "I hope you know how to help me, there's a lot of new faces here." This gives me the impression that I'm dealing with a sucky regular, who I have not yet had the privilege of dealing with, which is not a good sign.

So, she comes up with some picture CDs and notes on which pictures she wants printed. I show her our selection of paper and help her pick the paper she wants. Things aren't going super great, with maybe a miscommunication or two, so I ask her for clarification on something, and she responds with "You're in university?"

Now, given my personality, my first reaction is to not be confrontational, and then call her a fucking dingbat later (Although I did briefly consider saying something along the lines of "with that attitude, you can fuck off and go to Staples. Now get the fuck out of here before I call security"), coupled with the fact that if I have a GPA of 3.97, I don't need my intelligence validated by random customers. I replied with "You don't have to insult my intelligence" and carried on with her order.

Eventually she decides to leave half the order with me and come back later. As she's leaving, she says "Young people just don't listen." So I call out "You don't have to come here."

After she's gone, I make a comment to a co-worker "what a fucking dingbat" and explain to her what happened. I manage to finish the half of her order she left me, and put it aside, dreading it because she will eventually come back for it.

I tell my manager about it when she comes by, and she says "you don't have to deal with that crap" and talks about how old people sometimes are wierd like that.

Eventually she comes back in. Fortunately, I'm busy at the time so someone else helps her.

Fast forward about 15 minutes to closing time. I'm off, but there's another kind of SC blocking my way - a guy standing in front of the closed door. Seeing no other way out, I grab my coat and bag and leave. Of course, this guy stops me. And the dingbat is there too! She says the copier is jammed. So I try to deal with the guy in the fastest way I can - let him in, hook him up with a copy card, and point him to the self-serve machines outside, while grabbing the key to unjam the copy machine (keep in mind I already have my coat on and already signed off). I unjam the copy machine, and show these two SCs how to use it. To her credit, the dingbat offers a not totally sincere apology, but I take it and move on. Besides, it's already 15 minutes past quitting time, and I was already late for a get together downtown. Finally I get out of there to catch my bus.

To top it all off, guess who sits right in front of me on the bus? That's right, the dingbat! So I say fuck it and stick my nose in a book for the whole bus ride - even though reading on the bus makes me sick, I do it anyways. Fuck it.
    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

So, you wouldn't happen to work at the same "not Staples" that I used to work at, would you? (see screen name.)

Comment

No, it's an independent place on campus. It's usually not bad, and management is pretty good, today just sucked though because of a couple SCs.

Comment

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
        So I try to deal with the guy in the fastest way I can - let him in, hook him up with a copy card, and point him to the self-serve machines outside, while grabbing the key to unjam the copy machine (keep in mind I already have my coat on and already signed off). I unjam the copy machine, and show these two SCs how to use it.
        Why on earth would you do that? If you're off, tell them so and, if you're feeling nice, summon a co-worker to help them. If the store is closed, tell them so and get out of there.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
          Why on earth would you do that? If you're off, tell them so and, if you're feeling nice, summon a co-worker to help them. If the store is closed, tell them so and get out of there.
          Because I'm just too fucking nice sometimes. I know I shouldn't do this, but I figured taking 30 seconds to sell this guy a copy card would be the quickest way to get him out of my hair. Plus, since we were closing, if I didn't unjam the copier, no one with a self-serve card would be able to use it until the next morning when someone would get in and see it's jammed. I just unfortunately had to show the guy how to use the damn thing.

Anyways, when I got in today, the dingbat was already at the counter talking to someone. I just avoided making eye contact, and helped other customers (close to the other end of the counter), and did jobs that kept me away from the counter until she was gone. I heard the guy dealing with her complaining about something in the break area after. I took an educated guess and asked "so, you had to deal with the dingbat?"

Of course, this is what it was. Except he had to deal with her for a whole hour. I could not believe he was still there - having to spend an hour with this woman, with her and her stupid photos, complaining about this or that would surely have ended not well for me.

And today as well, someone was standing outside the door after we were closed. This time we closed down the till already, so we couldn't help them if we wanted to. Fuck, don't you people get it? Door closed means fuck off!

It's usually good though - being on campus means that most of the people we deal with are at the very least technically literate and probably work or have worked shit jobs recently, so they know what it's like. I only worked two pretty short shifts this week, but this is reminding me why I used to post on this site.

Comment

Working...
          X