This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Not Who You Think I Am

In my first post awhile ago I described how as a tv news photog, everyone is my potential customer, since everyone is a potential viewer (though if you looked at the actual ratings of local TV news you would see there is damned few of them any more).

Today's observation comes from last night, and it's about the delicate balance we have to walk as journalists (observe, do not interfere) and human beings (wtf are you doing!).

In our industry we have endless debates about the balance between our rights & obligations as journalist vs what as humans we should be doing.

Case in point was last night. In the DC metro area the latest ongoing story is the continuing poor performance of local electric utility with regards to power outages during storms. Personally, I don't really think it's the utility's fault as much as everyone would like to think, but it's not my call.

Anyway yesterday we had a big windstorm, and sure enough down come trees & powerlines, and off my intrepid reporter & I go to cover the damage. In one particular upscale neighborhoos we encounter a very large tree that has managed to fall in just a place as to take out the power lines without hitting cars, houses, or anything else of importance. Power lines lay in the street and the fire department had taped off the area for safety until crews could come to chop up the tree and replace the lines & poles that served 10 houses or so.

While on the scene setting up for a live shot, an elderly neighbor whose house was inside the taped off area decides she wants to leave. The problem is there is a huge power line on the ground right in front of her driveway and no way to get around it. Another neighbor offers to help guide the lady (in her car) across the downed line and through the tape.

My reporter & I (without camera rolling or anything) pleaded with the lady not to do it. Yes, we're 90% sure that power line is shut down, but if it's not, you're gonna die.

Nope, no-one will listen, elderly woman & neighbor are convinced they can do it. Fine. I go get my camera and roll on the scene as the neighbor guides the woman across the line, under the tape and on her way. No-one gets hurt, and that's a good thing.

I guess my rant is that people watch the news and say 'well why didn't the news crew do something?' I was rolling and if the lady fried herself, I would have had great video of it.

But we sure as hell tried to stop her before she went for it....
    "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Just yesterday, one of our Local Stations showed a story of where one of their
    Reporters did get involved.

He was getting ready to shoot another story, when he noticed a scuffle nearby. He actually got physically involved in trying to help the guy that was being beat up upon.*

The ironic part? The "victim" apparently had white supremacist type tattoos on his arm(s), and (unknown to the Reporter, at first, as he was trying to help) and the Reporter is African American.

Mike

*Please note that I'm remembering the details after seeing the above linked clip once or twice last evening. I'm on dial-up, and it simply would have taken too much time for the vid to load, and for me to view again, before posting here.
    Meow.........

Comment

That reminds me of this picture where they brought a white supremacist into the ER....and all his doctors were black.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

simple.

you can't fix stupid.

you and your crew tried to prevent the accident... and she didn't want to stop.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          simple.

you can't fix stupid.
          You don't need to. Stupidity is self-correcting.

Darwin Awards.

Comment

Well, OK, but would you actually have been able to show images like that on TV anyway? Even with a warning?
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Well, OK, but would you actually have been able to show images like that on TV anyway? Even with a warning?
              You'd be surprised. Some stations showed uncut footage of Budd Dwyer's suicide. I didn't see it myself -- all I saw was the edited footage. My brother, on the other hand, saw the live news conference as it happened. I had stepped out of the room to get a snack, when I heard him say, "That's sick! They just showed a guy blowing his brains out!"

This was during the day on a weekday, so normally we wouldn't have even been home to see it, but the school had called a snow day.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Live tv is always a risk - there's no 7 second delay or anything; what happens goes out immediately (well there is some digital encoding / decoding delay, but not designed for editorial control.) Budd Dwyer case in point.

If I actually managed to videotape an accident occuring, we'd show footage if it was non-fatal (and not too graphic), otherwise we would show right up to the time something was about to happen, then show the aftermath (carefully edited.)

Ideally if an accident were to occur we'd get shots of popping & crackling (grandma not injured, safe in car but now stuck); the fire department called & rolling up, rescue made and a cautionary tale told at 11pm with the pictures to back it up.

But all & all I'd rather not have seen any risks taken.
                "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                  That reminds me of this picture where they brought a white supremacist into the ER....and all his doctors were black.
                  Sounds like an episode of M*A*S*H I saw years ago. This one racist type came into the OR and demanded that the doctors not give him any transfusions from blacks... so while he was sedated, Hawkeye painted him with iodine. Then when he woke up, they apologized profusely, told him they screwed up and gave him black blood, and now he's turning black himself...

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    Budd Dwyer's suicide
                    I think the MOTH has that clip on his computer.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
                      Sadly, not often enough. Far too many stupid people find ways to survive and even thrive, not to mention reproduce. The ones we see in the Darwin Awards are the exception, not the rule. As I said...sad.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post

Darwin Awards.
                        And then there is Idiocracy, which some people on this forum have called a documentary.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

You mean it isn't?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            And then there is Idiocracy, which some people on this forum have called a documentary.
                            I've never heard of that documentary before, but now after reading the wiki entry, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

But then Clerks and Office Space are also both widely referenced to here as well . . . and there are those on the forums who do believe these to be documentaries as well.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

You mean they're not?!?!

(As a longtime restaurant employee, I can assure you that much in both Office Space and Waiting are absolutely 100% true. Based on many of the retail stories here, I am guessing that Clerks is a much lighter version of the truth!)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X