Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And you deserve the points because WHY??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And you deserve the points because WHY??

I am so sick of all these workers that stay in company paid hotel rooms weekly and then rack up the 'points'. Why do they deserve a free room when they haven't shelled out a dime.

I know a couple that get week long vaca's with paid hotel rooms every year!!

Sorry, had to get that off my chest!!
    Have a nice day!
    l

Well, if the hotel gives the points to the user, they are entitled to use them, arent they?

Comment

If their company has no issue withthem using their reward cards, then why should you?

Comment

My good friend uses his airline miles and hotel points to pay for Dragon Con every year. Yeah, it's frustrating that I shell out for transportation and lodging, but I also don't spend 80% of my year away from home.

Comment

Someone will get the points, either the people who slept in the rooms or someone at their company.
          Who do you think should have them then?

Comment

Perhaps the couple mentioned is exceptionally annoying to wait on....?
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

A few years back when I was on the road from Lower Podunk to Upper Turkey Squat for 1/2 the year, the points did help to make up for the time away from home and family as I could get a much nicer room come vacation time.

<threadjack> Since I was using a corporate card, the company collected the points, but nobody cared as at the end of the year, the points were used for draw prizes at the Christmas party. And not just toasters or the such - trips to Hong Kong, or anywhere in the world a certain airline would fly. </threadjack>
              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I'm actually one of these "workers". I'm away from home 4 days a week. And actually, I pay for the hotel, but get reimbursed by my clients, since that's part of my contract. So even though I "don't shell out a dime" for my hotel room, I still am in charge of paying it and submitting the expenses to my client.

Comment

I rather enjoy the points that I get for flying and staying at hotels while I'm on a business trip. Given that it's the only additional compensation I get for traveling above and beyond that of my regular paycheck, I'd be pretty upset if my company confiscated them.

However lovely the flight and hotel is, I would much rather stay at home and not get the points, but if I don't have a choice in the matter, I'll take what I can get. Business travel only looks glamorous and luxurious when you don't have to do it yourself. (Next week will be my third business trip in five weeks.) You really don't get a chance to actually "visit" where you are traveling, and after a while all hotels, offices, rental cars, restaurants, airports, etc. start to look the same, and you lose track of what city you are in.
                  Last edited by sirwired; 04-07-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I don't understand your frustration either. The workers aren't taking anything away from you, they are using points that have to go to someone.

Are the workers being sucky about it?

Comment

I think what a lot of people are saying... The points go somewhere, why not to the one who had to spend at least 3/4ths of their lives away from their family and friends? This way, they can spend that remaining time they have somewhere nice with their family to relax and have a good time.

I'd do it in a heart beat if i were in that situation.
                      I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

Alrighty folks....I believe the point is that since they aren't spending their own money, they haven't "earned" the points. I used to run into that sort of problem at the Bent Staple, especially with ink cartridge returns; people would collect all the empty ink and toner cartridges from their place of employment and recycle them under a personal card. It was a few bad apples engaging in this behavior that eventually ruined that program for everyone.

Now, in regards to the hotel points, I can see both sides of the coin here. If someone if claiming personal hotel points for what is actually a business trip, then it may well be a violation of the terms & conditions of the rewards program. That is a perfectly fine thing to be annoyed about if you work for the hotel. I can also see how - if the company that is paying for the rooms doesn't care - that the traveler might as well claim the points.

But outright saying there is no suck is not on the menu. It's specifically against the site rules. The whole point of this site is let people vent about customer and work related frustrations. Disagreement is fine, but outright failing to see the suck isn't. Knock it off.
                        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I believe some (many?) companies may let the employee claim the points involved as an extra perk/reward for the travel, to offset, as others have pointed out, the fact that the employee is spending the time away. I know that was the case with my former company.

Comment

My mother does this with the full knowledge and consent of her company- they look at it as the employee is away from their family on business enough to actually earn a free room that they can use with their family. My old company encouraged it as well.

Now, I'd take issue with people acting like entitled assholes about it, but that's it.
                            "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                              But outright saying there is no suck is not on the menu. It's specifically against the site rules. The whole point of this site is let people vent about customer and work related frustrations. Disagreement is fine, but outright failing to see the suck isn't. Knock it off.
                              Dave...thank you for the save!! I definatly didn't come across that well in this post and I see that. I do see both sides of the story (I am actually rather good at doing that). I will say that most of these guys that I'm talking about work for companies that pay them very well due to the fact that they are on the road 4 nights a week. But that is neither here nor there.

Let me explain.....I was raised by Ward and June Cleaver!! Rules (laws, religion, ect) were straight forward and there was no grey area. Taking that into my life now, they way I was looking at it was that the points were not theirs to take. They belonged to the company. Trust me when I say, there would have been no convincing my mother that this was OK. Not even a letter from the company president. That's just the way they were and I guess I am too, to an extent.

I'm actually one of these "workers".
                              Actually Joe, I don't see you in this situation. You work contract labor and bording is worked into your contract. It's just a different ball park to me.

Since I was using a corporate card, the company collected the points, but nobody cared as at the end of the year, the points were used for draw prizes at the Christmas party.
                              In my opinion, I think that is how they should all be handled. Given to the actual responsible party (the company) then distruibuted at parties or for 'pats on the back'.

I also want to note that the chain that I work for allows us to check into other participating locations at discounted employee rates, BUT, we are not allowed to collect points for those stays!! Why?? At employee rates, it takes us a lot longer to earn free nights than someone paying full price.

I am sorry you all have gotten the wrong impression. But I will admit, I thought this was what this forum was for. Would I ever express this to a customer?? On my Facebook?? Or in public?? NO!! It's just my personal opinion!! I have to admit, I will think twice before I post something here.
                              Have a nice day!
                              l

Comment

Working...
                              X