This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignorance and intolerance

If there are any of you who work in the Hotel industry then you can feel my pain on this one...

we here in south carolina are not used to winter precipitation at all, that means grocery stores instantly become bare at the first call of snow or ice, and lots of buisnesses shut down because noone can drive in it without wrecking. This in mind most of our housekeeping staff is Latin Americans and for most this is only maybe the 2nd time they have seen snow in thier lives so naturally today we had a limited housekeeping staff. In this happening out management called all existing guests rooms and either left a message or told them directly about this unfortunate event and that if they needed anything to call the front desk and let us know what they required. through the course of the evening I have had calls from these rooms ranging from the confused to the totally irate...and noone seems to understand that housekeeping was limited due to weather. heres the kicker....when asked if they needed anything they have all said no and hung up. it alwyas seems like people have no higher purpose in life than to call and bitch about mundrane things that have no point.
    Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Quoth drummer1279 View Post
    ...it always seems like people have no higher purpose in life than to call and bitch about mundrane things that have no point.

In my store bitching is what SCs do best. I was helping a woman at the jewelry counter tonight (it's located right across from the check lanes). We were discussing our new line of jewelry and the outrageous prices when a loud-mouthed woman comes up and says:

"Excuse me."

Me: thinking...Ignore the idiot...she WILL wait her turn. (a pet peeve of mine)

Loud-Mouthed Woman: "Excuse Me...Excuse Me!!!"

Me: Looking at her with complete disgust..."I will be with you in a moment."

L-MW: Completely ignoring the customer I'm already serving..."AREN'T ANY OF THESE CHECKLANES OPEN DOWN AT THIS END OF THE STORE???"

Me: now pissed and giving her the death glare..."What?"

L-MW: "AREN'T ANY OF THESE CHECKLANES OPEN DOWN AT THIS END OF THE STORE???"

Me: "Are any of the lights on?"

L-MW: "No."

Me: "Then they're not open."

L-MW: "You mean I have to walk ALL THE WAY DOWN THERE?" (100 ft at most)

Me: "If you want to check out, that's what you'll have to do."

L-MW: "Sheesh!"

Me: thinking...Where'd I put my pea-shooter???
    Last edited by Retail Associate; 02-03-2007, 08:22 AM. Reason: To remove the reference to 'my gun' because it is in violation of board rules. So sorry.
    Retail Haiku:
    Depression sets in.
    The hellhole is calling me ~
    I don't want to go.

Comment

Yup - and the time that she took to stand there and bark her question at you - she could've already walked down there and been checking out!
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

If I may say it again--if it makes sense, it's not allowed.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

heres one even better. the frequent stayers, In hilton terms they are Called "Diamond VIP members" 90% of these people think you should come up and wipe thier asses with gold lined toilet paper at the drop of a hat just because they spend 2/3 of thier life in a hotel.

Comment

It was crazy that you guys in Greenville got more snow down there than we did here just up the mountain from you. I don't think we've ever had a problem with our housekeepers coming in, no matter the weather, thankfully. Maybe you just get used to snow.

We got lucky too when there were those big immigration rallies. Our entire housekeeping staff called off to go up to Asheville to march. We had to call all the guests the night before and explain the situation and ask what they wanted done tomorrow -- full cleaning, or just towels. They all just wanted fresh towels the next day, which meant the boss only had to do laundry instead of do laundry and clean rooms.

One lady did call us to ask though, "When I turned my TV on, it was set to Telemundo. Do you think that might be some sort of protest?"

No. It just means that our housekeepers, like everybody else, can't function without their "stories" as they're often called in the South.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

yeah our housekeepers like the spanish radio along with telemundo and univision. its really funny watching them get mad at you making fun of how overly dramatic the soap stars act.

Comment

heres one even better. the frequent stayers, In hilton terms they are Called "Diamond VIP members" 90% of these people think you should come up and wipe thier asses with gold lined toilet paper at the drop of a hat just because they spend 2/3 of thier life in a hotel.
                You'll do that for ME?

*runs away very fast*

"spends far too much time in hotels*
                A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                - Dave Barry

Comment

we here in south carolina are not used to winter precipitation at all, that means grocery stores instantly become bare at the first call of snow or ice, and lots of buisnesses shut down because noone can drive in it without wrecking.
                  As a fellow South Carolinian, I feel your pain. Hell, we can't even get snow plows here. I always figured if there wasn't a hurricane, all was groovy... lol... The fact is everything does shut down here. I don't know where you are, exactly; but I'm in Charleston. The first hint of icy rain makes EMS workers stand at attention.

The bottom line is, we can't offer much comfort to people who traveled here to escape the dreary weather they may have tried to leave behind. We're prepared for torrential winds and rain. We're prepared for hurricane gusts. We are not prepared for hail and blizzards. Go figure... lol

P.S. It is my sincere wish that all who travel to the Carolinas have a wonderful experience. It's just that sometimes Mother Nature has another plan in mind. Unfortunately, southeastern states such as S.C. have no possible way to budget gear meant for weather we almost never experience. Luckily, unpredictable foul weather usually subsides within a day or two.

Comment

Nice one

The man who ran Fawlty Towers had exactly the same problem, maybe you would like to see what he told them?

http://www.amazon.ca/Fawlty-Towers-C...cts/B00005LC1H
                    ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                    Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                    X