This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please step out of the vehicle

Yesterday a family came to drop off their minivan for an installation appointment.

They started off by pulling their van right up outside one of the bay doors. This has always been my pet peeve, because it blocks in whatever vehicle is in the bay at the time, but it always happens. At that time both of our install bays had vehicles in them being worked on.

A man and a woman came in and I got them started on the paperwork, after which I asked for their keys so I could do a check of the vehicle and move it out of the way. I got the keys, went outside and found a grown woman in the passenger seat and a small child in the back seat. The lady was talking on a cell phone. I told her that I needed to move the vehicle; she continued her conversation and waved at the driver's seat. I said, "I'm sorry, I can't drive the vehicle if anyone is in it". Without missing a beat in her conversation, she got out of the car and went through the door into the waiting area, leaving me alone with the 2-year-old in the back.

So there I am with the kid. I look at him, he looks at me, we both don't say anything. I wasn't sure what to do; I was going to move the van out to a parking space and I didn't want to leave him alone in the van to go back into the building.

I was about to go back to the door and ask someone to come remove their child when the man came back out. He didn't say anything; he just opened the rear sliding door, sat down in the back seat next to the child, and closed the door. And then he just waited.

I said, "Sir, I'm sorry, I need to have everyone out of the vehicle before I can drive it." So finally (again without saying a word) he unbuckled the child and took him out of the vehicle and into the waiting area.

Through the rest of our transactions, it was clear everyone in the family knew their place. The first lady handled all of the paperwork and talking to me. The second lady never got the phone unscrewed from her ear as far as I know; she was still talking into it an hour later, when I signed the van back over. And the man and boy never spoke a word that I ever heard.
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

At least (other than cel phone) woman they were quiet, eh?
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Comment

Sounds almost zombieish...
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

They're having something installed in their car, so they bring the whole fam-damily and expect to just sit in the car the whole time? I don't- I mean- What the- ?

The only time someone comes with me to bring my car in is if I'm leaving it overnight for service. Then it's one of my parents who wait outside while I fill out the envelope for the key drop. If I'm staying to wait for it I'm a big girl and I can go all by myself. My dealer has reserved spots along the side for cars being dropped off for service and several spots at the front of that row where they park the finished cars while you're paying. If there's no open spots they've got a decent sized parking lot behind the service area. I would never even think to just park in front of the doors... Sometimes THEY will leave your car right by the door when they're done, but only when they know you're waiting inside and just have to grab your keys.

-ams-
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I never understand people who have to be in contact with someone 24/7. Most talk about the most pointless drivel. I do all my talking on MSN and the land line at home if need be, I don't spend two hours with a cellphone strapped to my head.

Makes me kinda wish they actualy did cause cancer.
          "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Well, actually it makes some sense for some people. For example, because there are a grand total of four people working at the arcade right now, we all need to be able to be reached in case someone calls in/gets fired mid-shift.

Or because we're single and don't see the point in a land-line *shrugs*.
            Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Well I am single, and I am wanting a land-line, instead of a cell, but hey, that is me. I also live my parents still, but that is only because I am saving money and trying to get my own business going on.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
              X