This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still have no idea what he did

At the jewelry store that I worked at, we sold watches. We sold everything from Movado to Citizen, so we pretty much had a watch that would fit any budget.

One night I am working and this guy walks into the store. I go to help him, and he says that he is looking for a watch. I start showing him different brands, and he falls in love with a Wittenaur that is on clearance. However, even with the clearance price, the watch is still very expensive. I show him him some different watches, but he keeps going back to the Wittenaur, and asking if I can lower the price anymore. I keep telling him that its already as low as it will ever go, and he seemed fine with that. I finally pull out a watch that he likes and fits his price range, so he decides to get it. The watch was too big, so I measure his wrist and start removing links. The entire time I was doing this, my face was a mere two inches from the watch band. Anyway, I get the watch to fit, he pays and leaves...seemingly happy.

A few days later I am at work, and watch boy comes strolling in. He tells me that his new watch, which he loves, won't open. Sure enough, the clasp was extremly tight. He had been using a fork to pop it open he told me. I asked if he had knocked the clasp against something, which would have made it harder to open. He swore up and down that he hadn't. I was kinda miffed, because the clasp hadn't been that hard to open before, but whatever. I ask what he wants to do, and he says that he wants to exchange the watch for a different one. Ok, so I start the process of pulling out watches for him again. Of course, he keeps asking about the clearance Wittenaur. I tell him that if he exchanges the old watch for that one, all he would need to pay would be $300...but he said that he didn't want to pay anything. Turns out, though, that we had gotten in another watch (same brand and model) as the one he already had. It was an even exchange, and he once again seemed happy. So I start removing the links (once again, my face is mere inches from the band), and he is telling me how this was such a great deal, and that he had a friend who worked at another jewelry store who couldn't even match our price. I exchange the watch and he leaves.

The end of the night comes and we close the store. Right as we finish closing and are getting ready to set the alarm, the phone rings. Sometimes our manager will call to see if we made day, so I answer...thinking that it was her. Nope...it was watch boy. He tells me that once he got home with his watch he noticed a red spot on his watch, and he wanted to know what to do. I figured that it wasn't anything major, so I told him to come in and that we would look at the watch. I also told him to bring the links that I removed from the watch in as well, so that we can switch out the spotted link with a clean one.

A couple days go by and I am at work again. I figured that he would have came in the day after his call, so I was slightly suprised when he came in that night. He shows the watch to me, and sure enough, there was a light colored red spot (it actually reminded me of a blood stain that had almost been washed away). I pop it in the cleaner, thinking that that would remove whatever it was. I take out the watch and start scrubbing the band. The more I scrub, the more spots appear.

Ok, remember how I had had my face inches away from that band when I was removing links? Yeah, well, there were no spots then. Clearly, watch boy had either accidently or purposly spilled something on the band. Of course, he denied this.

Anyway, I go over his options, and he goes over to the clearance section and points to the watch that he loved. He wanted that one, and he wanted it in exchange of his old one. Of course, he didn't want to pay. He said that he had had nothing but problems with this other watch, and he wanted the clearance one instead. He kept asking what kind of deal I could do.

At this point, I am annoyed. Clearly the guy only wanted this other watch, but was two cheap to buy it. So instead he had managed to ruin two watches in some twisted plot to get an $800 watch for $100. Then he laid the deal breaker on me...if we weren't able to give him the watch that he wanted, then he would just have to return the watch he had.

My manager had overheard all of this, and ran into the backroom. I was pissed...at her and at him. I tell him that we will just have to return the watch, grab his paperwork and credit card, and two minutes later he is free of the dreaded watch. Frankly, he was shocked that I just went and returned the watch, losing some commission and all.

He leaves, and my manager comes up to me. She told me that the guy was an arse and that she was proud that I stuck to my guns throughout it all. She said that she was even happy that I took the return. That meant a lot to me.

Looking back on it, the guy was calm and nice the entire time he was in the store, but he was clearly scamming us. I believe that that is the worst type of SC.

I don't think he should have been able to return the watch... it was obviously some twisted plan to get the more expensive one and he ruined two of your perfectly good ones in the process.
    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Yeah, but we all just wanted him out of the store without any of our merchandise.

Comment

Personally I think returning the watch is a small price to pay.... He expects you to let him have something three times the price just because what he bought is "defective." At least the first one he seems to have just damaged the clasp; I assume that could be repaired.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Wouldn't it be a good idea to think up a liability waiver or something in case something like this happens again? Imagine how much money your company could be losing on "mistakes" that he hadn't "noticed" at the time of sale.
          No good news is good bad news

Comment

Working...
          X