This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Chromatix View Post
    Similar system with LPG almost anywhere. You buy a canister up-front, then later on you exchange the empty canister for a full one. (That's for the sizes above "fits in your camping stove", anyway.)
    The water girl in me says "that water is not subject to the stringent standards to which we hold our product. In addition, the disinfection system which we use on our bottles is far superior to anything performed in a retail store. Plus, why would you inconvenience yourself by lugging those bottles back and forth when you could have pure, refreshing water delivered directly to your door?"....while basically 99.9 of me says "Yeah, makes sense to me."

Comment

I get water delivered to my house too, and I only get charged for the amount I use. It comes through these things called "pipes." It's very convenient. And I'm not always lifting up those heavy water bottles. I get natural gas the same way.

Except for the fizzy water. That I have to buy at the store and carry in.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        I get water delivered to my house too, and I only get charged for the amount I use. It comes through these things called "pipes." It's very convenient. .
        Obviously you and I are in very different water districts. We are billed every two months, and about 87% of the bill is fixed fees - water hookup fee, water meter fee, sewage hookup fee, etc. fee, this fee, that fee, and then the actual usage. Out of a near $200 bill, we'd save very little if we didn't use any water at all! (It may almost be cheaper to get water delivered by truck than from our water department!)
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
          Obviously you and I are in very different water districts. We are billed every two months, and about 87% of the bill is fixed fees - water hookup fee, water meter fee, sewage hookup fee, etc. fee, this fee, that fee, and then the actual usage. Out of a near $200 bill, we'd save very little if we didn't use any water at all! (It may almost be cheaper to get water delivered by truck than from our water department!)
          Yes, we a definitely in different water districts. I get billed quarterly, and the bill includes sewage and refuse. Refuse is a fixed fee, but sewage is based on water usage. The last bill breaks down to 20% for water, 47% for sewage and 33% for refuse. The bill typically runs between $240 and $260 for the past year or so.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            I get water delivered to my house too, and I only get charged for the amount I use. It comes through these things called "pipes." It's very convenient. And I'm not always lifting up those heavy water bottles. I get natural gas the same way.

Except for the fizzy water. That I have to buy at the store and carry in.
            Bottled water is definitely a luxury for some, although depending in the area it can be a necessity. For instance, elderly or infirm customers who must drink distilled water for health reasons-we even have one customer who has to bathe in it and uses tons. Alot of dentists offices and manufacturing companies buy it as well for use with equipment. Those, I have sympathy for. The rest, eh.

Comment

well water, comes from 175 meters down, filtered through limestone, tested annually, tastes better than any store bought I have ever had. Ambient water temp runs about 45 fahr. all year around.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

The tap water in this city comes through a 100km tunnel from deep in an inland freshwater lake, and is processed using some lightweight non-chemical system. Result: world-class drinking water, cleaner than most bottled water.

Comment

wow. Water bill. This isn't something I encounter personally a whole lot.
                  Summary of living situations in my life:
                  born-3 yrs: lived in a farmhouse in northern England. NO idea what my parents did for water.
                  3-10: block-long 'condo'/ground floor apartment type thingies. Military base. Dad got paid 20-40k (not sure, changed as he went up in pay grade/rank, dur teh) for a reason (ie no rent especially). I'm not even sure they got bills associated with housing!
                  10-14: base subsidized two-story split level (3 stories? ): again, no idea about the bills, never really asked until laterish.
                  14-15: duplex, power and garbage
                  15-20: house. I know we had irrigation, it probably cost 40 dollars a ... year? dunno, barely remember... it also worked on the 'riparian' way (ie make sure if your neighbors down the way want water that your irrigation thingy is open)
                  20-25 (now): apartments of various sorts, I've only had to pay power, if anything (some of the apartments were actually dorms, and MySchool forces dorm-dwellers to purchase meal plans thru the school, at their caf.) I've never in my life paid for garbage, water, sewer, or... I feel like I'm forgetting a utility.
                  Water: SO GLAD I don't live in Carlsbad NM-- some of my relatives live there, and ICK it's gross.
                  Here, it's fairly bland, I'm perfectly willing to chug it all day-- but it makes my tea taste off! so I use a Brita filter.
                  My parents live in a smaller, Idaho-type desert place on the far reaches of a town, on well water. It too is pretty good, but nothing to rave about; it does come out perfectly cool though. I need to travel the world and find my favorite water. Chromatix, you live somewhere in Scandinavia, oui? I'm totally picturing a highland glacier-lake...
                  EDIT: ... it would behoove teh to read info on people: yes, Helsinki is in 'Scandinavia'!
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Up until recently I always scoffed at the entire bottled water thing (I live in NYC, some of the best tap water in the world). However my current job has water deliveries and I'm thankful for it b/c the pipe in here suck. The water is atrocious, and undrinkable. I'm not even sure a Britta/Pur would pull out enough of the crud to make me willing to drink it :P

There are also parts of the states where I could see it (I'm looking at you Anaheim, even the people who live there don't drink the tap water!).

Soooo, when do we get more stories from CollectionsGirl? :P

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
                      There are also parts of the states where I could see it (I'm looking at you Anaheim, even the people who live there don't drink the tap water!).
                      Been in southern California my entire life, including about 6 years in Anaheim. I drank the tap water, and it was just fine. Of course, that was nearly 20 years ago, so things may have changed, but considering it had the highest sediment rate for the region back then, I doubt it.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        Been in southern California my entire life, including about 6 years in Anaheim. I drank the tap water, and it was just fine. Of course, that was nearly 20 years ago, so things may have changed, but considering it had the highest sediment rate for the region back then, I doubt it.

^-.-^
                        That's good to know for the next time a CA resident demands immediate service at 5pm on a Friday because "we can't drink the tap water here you know!"

Comment

Strictly speaking, Finland isn't Scandinavia, but it's close enough. There's an adundance of freshwater lakes of all sizes here. Finland has been called the "land of a thousand lakes", but it turns out that's a gross underestimate...

The water comes specifically from Lake Paijanne, which basically starts at Lahti and continues north for about a hundred miles. It's a *big* lake, in a channel cut by ancient glaciers, but it's not a fjord as there are no mountains involved (Finland is remarkably low-lying for a non-flat country). Bigger still is the Saimaa lake system, but that's further away.

Less clean, though, is the Baltic Sea. Don't bother eating Baltic herring, it'll probably make you ill. That's from a combination of agricultural runoff, decades of raw sewage from Leningrad, and the Denmark Strait which means it doesn't circulate with the rest of the world's oceans. It's a serious problem which is only slowly being addressed - the sewage plants at St. Petersburg have been brought into the 20th century at least, but agricultural runoff and waste dumps by shipping are still a problem.

Comment

Yay education!
                            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

My tap water here is fine, lake water, has chlorine and fluoride added to it. Whenever I cook or drink, I try to use the water from my "Rita" filter. For some reason, regular tap water stains my teeth black.

Don't touch the water in Kittery, ME. I don't know whether it was a problem with the restaurant we were at, the town water supply or the fact that we were next to the ocean, but the glass of water I had was undrinkable. It STANk of sulphur and tasted even worse.
                              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X