This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sparky View Post
    There's a Target store attached to our mall. The mall didn't want people taking the carts out into the mall, and probably leaving them everywhere, so there's a system on the carts that locks the wheels if you push them too close to the door leading into the mall. Now if they could just modify that.... Years ago the store my mother worked for tried putting a fence around the entrance/exit to the store so that carts wouldn't go through. You were supposed to leave your cart full of groceries and pull your car up to the store (designated area) to load up. It was supposed to be staffed. Of course, they didn't have enough people to have someone working there all the time and people's bags got stolen, so they soon quit that.
    Our Target is in the mall and doesn't have that. It should, 'cause when I go to the mall, I see people pushing them all over. Would they go to a free-standing Target and take the carts a mile away? I don't think so.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
      everyone has a quarter.
      I seldom carry change, unless I got some from a previous shopping trip that same day.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

There's two stores here that do that. One takes a quarter and there's always carts everywhere. The other takes a loonie (a $1 coin) and the lot is always clean of stray carts.
        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

This would be a nice way for the US Mint to start pushing that dollar coin they keep trying to get out en mass.
          Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Aldi's never has a stray cart, even with only a quarter. I agree with somebody, however. Have them take a credit card or large bill only..then you would almost never have to worry about it (something like a $20 or something so thieves are less likely to bother with it).
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
              Some of the stores around here have it so you have to put in a Quarter. Across the street at WalMart, there are carts everywhere. At Aldi, where you have to "pay" a Quarter all the carts are always put away. It's effing hilarious.
              The Save-A-Lot near me has those shopping carts too. It's not only hilarious, but a good way to keep from having to continually replace shopping carts.

Frankly, I wish the Litter Box would invest in those carts that have the locking wheels so they can't be taken outside the parking lot. It's keep carts from accumulating behind the shopping center in the nearby apartment complexes (we have 3 behind our store and another one around the corner and just down the road a short ways.)
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Sparky View Post
                There's a Target store attached to our mall. The mall didn't want people taking the carts out into the mall, and probably leaving them everywhere, so there's a system on the carts that locks the wheels if you push them too close to the door leading into the mall.
                This works on a wire loop emitting a magnetic field at a certain frequency (or something along those lines.) A few years ago, some hacker figured out a way to build a portable battery-powered emitter that would lock up all carts in about a 20-ft radius. Hilarity ensued.

(Note: The device could only run about three to five minutes before heating up to the verge of meltdown, so we need not fear an epidemic of such devices.)

Comment

Our local grocery has lock-up carts. You can tell the system works, because there's almost always a least one cart with a locked wheel in the foyer.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                    I seldom carry change, unless I got some from a previous shopping trip that same day.
                    You can get keyrings that have a disc the size of a £1 coing to use on a trolley. My mum keeps on attached to her shopping bag. Some examples.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

cg - Those are pretty cool ^_^ Nothing wrong with that -- after all, you would still need to return the cart if you want your keyring back.

Quoth Mystic View Post
                      This would be a nice way for the US Mint to start pushing that dollar coin they keep trying to get out en mass.
                      I know the vending machine operators and arcade runners (when the latter still existed -- it's all but disappeared in this country these days) were pushing for that, big time (to make it easier to charge a dollar or more for *everything*)....My problem is, whenever they re-do the coin, they make the SAME EXACT mistakes they made the first time -- i.e., it is still easy to mistake it for a quarter due to the shape, size, weight, and the face on the front. The difference in color is also easy to overlook if you're in a hurry of in bad lighting. That, and they don't make enough for it to get into serious circulation.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                        A few years ago, some hacker figured out a way to build a portable battery-powered emitter that would lock up all carts in about a 20-ft radius. Hilarity ensued.
                        Oh, that is evil!

Did they ever find out who did it? And more importantly, is there a video of this up on YouTube somewhere?
                        my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                        it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          That, and they don't make enough for it to get into serious circulation.
                          Actually, the biggest impediment to the dollar coins in the U.S. is that they keep printing dollar bills. If they'd stop printing new dollar bills, and remove the old ones at the same rate they do now (only when considered damaged by the bank and mint), they could switch over 99% of the dollar currency to coin in just a few years, and wouldnt have to mint a huge number of coins all at the beginning.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King

Actually, the biggest impediment to the dollar coins in the U.S. is that they keep printing dollar bills. If they'd stop printing new dollar bills, and remove the old ones at the same rate they do now (only when considered damaged by the bank and mint), they could switch over 99% of the dollar currency to coin in just a few years, and wouldnt have to mint a huge number of coins all at the beginning.
                            A related issue is lack of five, or even two dollar bills. Canada had both when we went to the dollar coin, so using a tenner for a fairly small purchase didn't result in a pocket full of heavy coins. Even with the two dollar coins we also have now it still works well.
                            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
                              Some of the stores around here have it so you have to put in a Quarter. Across the street at WalMart, there are carts everywhere. At Aldi, where you have to "pay" a Quarter all the carts are always put away. It's effing hilarious.
                              One of the many reasons I love Aldi so much. I wish we had them here in Naples.
                              "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

When my crazy dad encounters 'pay to use cart' he makes sure to give the cart to the person coming in as he is going out. THis is the same guy who taught me not to steal tickets from a badly designed amusement park machine.

Comment

Working...
                                X