This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Not to Talk on the Telephone...

The entire office was silent for a full 10 minutes while we all listened to one side of what was clearly a terrible author/editor phone conversation.

BG: All our authors, before we take their book proposal to a meeting to have it accepted/rejected, have to fill out a form. Basically who they are, what the book is about, previous publications, what niche the book fills, possible marketing etc etc. It's a useful tool because we often don't have time to read the 100 pages many authors send us of their book, and the form forces them to give us the jist of the matter and give us basic personal info into the bargin. However, many authors think this is beneath them and don't fill it out properly. This was one of those, with a side helping of evil.

FE (Fellow Editor) had sent the form to this evil author (EA) to fill out. He had sent it back and had deleted all the questions he couldn't be bothered to answer, so a 5 page form was now 1 page long. FE then sent another email asking him to do it in full, very politely, if I know FE. Then EA rang up. Apparently the first thing he said was 'What's your damn problem?!!!!' Not a good start. Obviously I couldn't hear what EA was saying (except that it was clearly VERY loud), but I reproduce what I could hear FE saying.

FE: Look, I realise it's a bit long but it really has to be filled in.
    EA: blargh
    FE: Because I can't take the book to a meeting without the form.
    FE: Well no, I can't fill it in, because I don't know your details.
    FE: Now please calm down.
    FE: Because they won't look at a proposal without the form!
    FE: No I can't give you a contract! The book hasn't been proposed yet!
    FE: We don't contract books unless they've been proposed!
    FE: I can't propose the book without the form...
    FE: Please lower your voice.
    FE: Look, I am not under any obligation to take this project on, and clearly we are not setting the groundwork for a decent working relationship.
    FE: Please be quiet for a second. I don't have to take this book. It hasn't been to a meeting. It won't go to a meeting without a form. Now calm down and decide whether you want to continue.
    FE: Right now I couldn't care less how many books you've written, and I'd hope you didn't treat any of your other editors like this.
    FE: No. I have sent you the form. If you fill it out I may consider taking the matter forward, but to be honest I don't have high hopes for it right now.
    FE: Fill it out, don't fill it out.
    FE: We're not getting anywhere.
    FE: No I can't fill it in for you! Goodbye!

FE was seriously pissed off after that. He went straight to the biscuit tin. EA rang back half an hour later and it sounded like he had grudgingly filled out the form. Too late though. Everyone in the office had told FE to drop him like a brick...

I'm used to authors acting like God AFTER they've got a contract. This was a new one.
    Saying I'm "turning down a sale" and thinking I give an airborne fornication – GUILTY – Irving Patrick Freleigh

I can only imagine what sort of opus this EA thought they had pooped out.

Comment

Apparently he thought your form was useless. Too bad for him.

"I don't fill out meaningless drivel."

'Well, I guess we don't publish it, either. See ya!"

That was a serious application of a foot-gun.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
        "I don't fill out meaningless drivel."
        "How do you explain your 'book', then?"
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

This just screams "epic win". I'm wondering if the author really shaped up his or her act after this or if they just went on to terrorize other publishers and lose out on their own work.

Comment

Blargh.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

they went on to 'blargh' a great many other publishers, before the community decides to blacklist him as a whole. the end.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                they went on to 'blargh' a great many other publishers, before the community decides to blacklist him as a whole. the end.
                *sniff* I love happy endings.
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

My goodness. Props to FE for keeping his cool as well as he did, dude sounds absolutely infuriating.

What kind of biscuits does FE like particularly? We should send him some of his favourites just for that story. And because, well, biscuits.
                  What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
                    What kind of biscuits does FE like particularly? We should send him some of his favourites just for that story. And because, well, biscuits.
                    I believe he favours Custard Creams...
                    Saying I'm "turning down a sale" and thinking I give an airborne fornication – GUILTY – Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

It should have been a warning in and of itself that he has had as many editors as books.

Comment

Quoth BookBint View Post
                        I believe he favours Custard Creams...
                        Or in other words, "cookies" on this side of the pond.

I believe we have lots of 'em around here someplace...
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Twits like him get all the editors they can run through, and I can't even get one! Life is so unfair.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                          X