This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark is a Freakin' Genius

On Friday I got a call from a charity which uses our software. They were having a fundraiser and were looking for sponsors.

We almost never do this stuff because 80% of our customers are charities/schools etc. and if we donated to all of them, we'd have to stop paying our employees. We are a tiny Mom and Pop operation. The owner is my boss, Keith and his wife, Hanna, is our accountant. Other than them, there are fewer than a dozen employees. Our world headquarters are located in a few rooms between a dentist and a real estate agent. "For-profit" does not equal "made of money."

Anyway, I referred them to Mark, the head of marketing and told them not to get thier hopes up too much after explaining the above (kindly, of course). Mark was being kind of snarky (Snarky Mark, heh) that day and, purely out of morbid curiousity decided to see what kind of donation they had in mind.

They wanted a minimum of $1000 in either cash or goods. They then outlined all the wonderful prestige and profits that being listed as a sponsor would get us.

To Mark's credit he didn't laugh outright. He simply asked them if they could let us know the serial number of the license they had. They gave it to him.

He then promised to get back to them. So he looked it up and found that, lo and behold, they hadn't bought anything in the last few years and had five different people using an individual license.

We don't like going after customers for casual piracy like this. It's much preferred for all concerned if we find a way to convince them to become legal. They win and we win.

So Mark is going to call them back and indicate that we would be interested in becomeing a sponsor. We'd be very happy to convert their individual license to a five-user license at no cost to them, a $2000 value. And, as a matter of fact, a $2000 donation brings up to the next sponsorship level which will shower us with even more prestige and profit (according to them, anyway).

I love win-win.

I'll update when I hear how they responded to Mark's proposal.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Oh, that's priceless.

Comment

That gets an official TQ-brand OHSNAP.
      Saving the planet and everything on it is certainly a daunting task; but see, push has come to shove...Let's roll.

- Inga Muscio

Comment

Quoth ToasterQueen View Post
        Amen, amen, amen!

Comment

Quoth ToasterQueen View Post
          An an official, CS-approved, PWNED!

Seriously, though, I can't help but applaud the person with the onions to semi-pirate your software, and then turn around and ask you for money. I'll be the first to admit that I can't wait to hear if/when the charity get back to you.
          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Update:

Mark heard back from the fundraising consultant and the organization wants at least 50% of the donation to be cash.

Apparently they need money badly.

I don't know for sure, but I think it's to pay their fundraising expenses. Consultants cost money, you know.

Quoth Spiffy McMoron
            Seriously, though, I can't help but applaud the person with the onions to semi-pirate your software, and then turn around and ask you for money.
            I know. It's not actually all that unusual. A percentage of our non-profit customers have a very inflated sense of entitlement. To them cheating is justified, as long as you are cheating a "greedy" for-profit company like us.

The ironic thing is that the owner actually considered making our company a non-profit. He decided that concentrating 100% on making the best product for the least cost was going to serve our customers better than concentrating 50% on the product and 50% on fundraising. I happen to think he's right. He's a capitalist with a heart of gold.

"For-profit=rich and greedy" is just one of those pervasive misconceptions that we have to deal with in our field. It's not going to change, so we have a sense of humor about it, bitch about it a bit and every now and then we get handed an opportunity to turn the tables on a gold platter and Mark takes it.
            The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

As an aspiring BOFH, I think you might want to take the new situation to another level. (800)RU-LEGIT is the phone number for Microsoft's piracy hotline and if they're pirating your software, they're probably pirating M$'s. Of course, as an alternate method, your company could always enforce the EULA and require that this begger now pay up for proper licensing or face legal action.
              Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Working...
              X