Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm arguing with you because I know how to do your job better than you!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm arguing with you because I know how to do your job better than you!

This thread is for those customers that call in asking for an explanation of a certain problem they are having. Working in technical support for the internet, I deal with this on an every day basis. Good example: This man called me earlier today with the usual "I can't use the internet" but did not want to provide any specific information. After a few minutes of prodding him, he told me his computer kept telling him the modem could not be detected, and therefore he wanted me to fix it for him. For liability reasons, we do not troubleshoot issues dealing with hardware of computer equipment being most will come back later and say, "Your company did this to my computer and I'm suing!"

When I advised this man of that, he up and down insisted it was not his computer, it was his internet provider that was causing this issue. After more prodding, it was determined he had not had a computer technician look at his computer, and stated to me, "I know more about computers than you and technicians, and I know it's not my computer, so I demand you fix it!" Holding my ground and keeping my cool, I politely told him the error he is getting is not internet related and that I was not in a position to troubleshoot the problem with him being again, we would be held liable for changes we tell him to make on his computer. Then, the famous line, "Someone did this for me last time I called!" Turned out the last time he called, his phone was shut off for non payment, and again, it was someone else's fault instead of his own!

My take on this is if you are a technician and know my job better than I do, why the hell are you calling me instead of fixing the issue yourself? Nothing but time on your hands, eh?

I love it when people call angry over something (usually that their services were shut off since they haven't paid), and say, "I work(ed) in customer service!" Usually it is followed with, "...and this is not good customer service, " or something along those lines.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
      My take on this is if you are a technician and know my job better than I do, why the hell are you calling me instead of fixing the issue yourself? Nothing but time on your hands, eh?
      I think some people just have this stigma that people who call somewhere for tech support/customer service are idiots, and that they have to "prove" to the tech/rep that they're not.

In my previous job at the leasing company, we used some terms that, while not requiring a PhD, might not be something your average layperson truly understands. However, in their quest to prove they're oh-so-smart, usually they just reveal their ignorance of the topic.

Some gems I've heard:

"I know what 'automatic term renewal' means, I'm not an idiot. I just want to know why this lease keeps rolling over for another year!"

"You keep telling me to read this part of the agreement that says you have no liability for force majeure. I read it, and nowhere does it say you don't have to replace my machine due to tornado damage!"

Comment

Ooh! I got that all the time and I hated it. Many is the time where I've made theories as to why the computer was doing what it was doing and I'd get "That can't be right!" or "My Father's Brother's Sister's Cousin's Mother-in-law's former roomate's best friend's boyfriend already tried that"

Made me wish I could say "If you already know how to fix it then why in the @#$% did you bring it to me in the first @#$%ing place?"

M
        I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth nick1091 View Post
          I think some people just have this stigma that people who call somewhere for tech support/customer service are idiots, and that they have to "prove" to the tech/rep that they're not.
          My wife gets a kick out of men who think that because they possess the Y chromosome, they have to stick their noses under the hood of any car that is in the process of being repaired and pretend they are mechanical whizes even though they have no idea of what they are looking at or what anything in the engine area actually does.
          "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
          .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
            My wife gets a kick out of men who think that because they possess the Y chromosome, they have to stick their noses under the hood of any car that is in the process of being repaired and pretend they are mechanical whizes even though they have no idea of what they are looking at or what anything in the engine area actually does.
            Many years ago, I had a VW Rabbit, 1975, first year released in the U.S. Awesome car. Survived everything (including being driven over the Sierras with the starter and water pump both dying) except the final accident. I totally miss that car.

It was also one of the first vehicles to have the air filter in a separate area from the carburetor.

One time, I was stuck outside a hotel in Reno because it suddenly decided not to start. (This may have been when the starter was first starting to die. I'm not sure.) Every man standing outside the hotel had to come over and take a look. NOT ONE OF THEM could find the carburetor without the circular air filter on it.

I just stood back and tried not to laugh. They were trying so hard to be helpful and not one of them could figure out anything on that engine. Especially since the engine was installed sideways to reduce the length of the car.

Finally, my husband came outside from dropping off some work, and the starter must have cooled off, because the engine started then, and we left.

They were just so clueless, but they were trying so hard to impress the cute chick with the funny foreign car that I couldn't be rude.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
            X