This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really? I was the moron? <Long>

Yesterday I was running a few deliveries. I enjoy doing them, becuse it gets me out of the shop for a while and moves the day on nicely. One of the best days working was a seven hour delivery to New Hampshire, though I couldn't feel my butt afterwards, and the heater in the truck had two settings, Hellfire and Arctic.

Anyway, at first I was delivering a box of parts. No problem, I could just use my car. Just as I was leaving one of the guys runs out and tell me I need to use the flat bed. The company I was delivering to finaly made up their mind and wanted us the service some blower motors. Not a big deal.

So I get there and drop off the the parts. So far so good. Then I get a hold of the mantainace guys so we can load up the blower motors. They were set on a eight foot long pallet, and there was no way in hell they could move it with their equipment they had on hand (a fork lift with far too short forks). And as I type this, I wonder how they got it there in the first place.

So they chain the motors to the forks. And they have hard time of it too. The operator lifts the chain, and it slips off. This wouldn't have been a problem if he Tilted the forks back. Gravity and all. Or better yet get an attachment that bolts the the forks and has a hook for chains. I know they exist becuse we have one where I work. After a few false starts he gets it.

So we haul the first one down to the loading bay. The guy on foot looks at the flat bed and says "Oh, you brought a flat bed."

Translation: "Your kind of dumb, ain't you kid?"

This has me slightly annoyed. First, the flat bed is much larger then the a pick up, and the only pick-up we had available would be much too small. Also the flat bed can take a pallet much easier, and thus is a snap to load and unload with a fork lift. And only a dingus would try to move motors without a pallet unless it was too big for one to support it. But maybe if my family tree was a trunk like these to paragons of mankind, their possition would make more sense.

So we load them on. Then they inquire about how I was going to strap it down. Well as it happens, I didn't have or need any since they were stable enough to be fine with driveing seven miles at a max speed of 25mph. But my lack of straps illiscets smug glances between the two of them.

So he suggests we use some wire they have around and tie them up near the cab. Which is silly since they weight alot and are hard to move. So "we" push up near the cab. I say "we" since all I did was look like I was pushing.

Epilogue: As we were hooking it up tot a power supply this morning, I dropped a nut inside the motor, which means there is a 70% chance everything wil be fine when we turn it on. 30% chance it explodes. Yeah, that was all on me.
    "Wait... he's alive, but his head's gone..." -Crow

So, did it explode?

Rapscallion

Comment

Well, there's no reply.

So I'm gonna guess that yes, it did explode.

Comment

Working...
      X