This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot irate over charity

This is an oldie from the vault... it's a bit long, so if you want to get straight into it without the backstory, scroll down about 3/4 of the way

Working at crappy tire, there were a few seasons that I hated. Christmas was probably the worst because it was supposed to be a time of holiday cheer, but there were a couple others that were a pain in the ass. Hydro season, where customers would constantly be asking me about MB Hydro's rebate promotions on compact fluorescent bulbs comes to mind. Then there was that time the geniuses at corporate came up with a fun, interactive contest called "Spring Thrill at the Till." Needless to say, it was no thrill for me. But if it wasn't for charity, red ball/red glove season would be the worst.

Basically here is how it goes. To help underprivileged kids buy sports equipment and play sports, crappy tire would sell these crappy red tennis balls or crappy red gloves (bet ya $20 that they are made in a sweatshop by underprivileged kids in China) to raise money. The company would pay for all the costs of the charity, so the $2 cost of the ball is basically pure cash for the charity. So the company gets their nice tax write-off, the kids are happy, and the cynic in me questions whether a company that sells sports equipment operating a charity for kids to buy sports equipment is some sort of conflict of interest because I'm pretty sure this company isn't into the whole philanthropy thing, at least not according to my pay stubs.

So after doing my fun interactive eLearning tutorial which was not fun on the whole red ball deal and writing the product number of the ball on my hand because it was basically the only information relevant to me, I go to work. Customers come through like usual, except I have to ask them for a donation for the red ball thingy. Almost invariably, they would reply with a question, so I would have to go into a little speech about what the whole thing is about, they would usually either buy a ball for their dog/kid or politely decline. Or, since the charity was called "Jumpstart", there would be the few confused souls thinking of booster cables. At times it would take some effort to give them a Jumpstart back into reality. Politely declining is cool, if you don't want to participate in the Crappy Tire Tax Write-off Charity, that's fine by me.

Getting back to the whole "politely decline" part, there was one guy who didn't understand that part. This is his story.

It begins on a crappy day, crappy because the handsome, dashing cashier known affectionately as IhateCrappyTire has to work. Remembering to ask customers about the ball, some buying, some not, I start to think "this isn't so bad." Unbeknownst to me at the time, Murphy's Law and the general suckiness of retail was about to kick in. Enter a Crazy Old Man (COM) with a thick German accent.

Me: "Would you like to donate to the Jumpstart Program? It's to help underprivileged kids play sports."
    COM: "No," as he gives me his money
    Me: "Ok," as I get him his change

Well, the word Ok must have been the equivalent of applying those booster cables to COM's nipples (not that there's anything wrong with that), because it set him off. The next scene went something like this.

COM, yelling: "(Unintelligible due to accent) Charity (Unintelligible) goodness of my heart (unintelligible) money (unintelligible) red ball (unintelligible)!!!"

Being still relatively new, I just stood there shell-shocked as he ranted and left the store with his stuff, change and precious Crappy Tire Money, never to be seen again. This event caused me to fear asking people about the charity, because you never know when someone might go off on you. And when you have a mental state like mine, the last thing you need is crazy old German guys screaming at you.
    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

This is slightly off topic - but regards places of employment that require you to "push" or "sell" something extra to customers.

Restaurants - I hated when we'd have contests to see who could sell the most Presidente Margaritas or glasses and bottles of wine. Of course, we were not allowed to mention the contest to the customers - however, we were expected to push alcoholic beverages at our tables.

I'm sorry, but I don't like to push anything on anyone. I will offer to get "something from the bar" for the table, however, that's it. I may make mention of the fact that we have a new margarita or point out the nice wine selection, but I have been standing near a table in another section with a different server who is just shoving the promotion down their throats and it makes me sick.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
      ...we were expected to push alcoholic beverages at our tables.
      I know how you felt. I hated our sales incentives at the wine store because I just didn't like pushing booze on people. Some people know when to call it quits, and some people just can't. I didn't know what kind of person was standing in front of me, so I always had this horrible feeling like maybe I just talked a potential alcoholic into buying more booze than he intended. I understand that alcoholics will drink no matter what, but still....what an icky feeling it gave me.
      Back on topic...that old guy probably thought you were judging him for not donating. It was absolutely nothing you said, and your tone would not have mattered. He almost certainly started feeling defensive immediately after you asked, and just jumped to conclusions.
      I don't know why he would then cause a scene and draw everyone's attention towards it....

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

COM, yelling: "(Unintelligible due to accent) Charity (Unintelligible) goodness of my heart (unintelligible) money (unintelligible) red ball (unintelligible)!!!"
        wow, i'm wondering what this little gem translated to...

i hate that; some managers at the big green apron expect you to push pastries and the like, something i hate doing, since it's rather intrusive-if a customer wants it, they'll say so. i simply ask if there's anything else they want/need and leave it at that.

sometimes, no push is the best push!
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
          I know how you felt. I hated our sales incentives at the wine store because I just didn't like pushing booze on people. Some people know when to call it quits, and some people just can't. I didn't know what kind of person was standing in front of me, so I always had this horrible feeling like maybe I just talked a potential alcoholic into buying more booze than he intended. I understand that alcoholics will drink no matter what, but still....what an icky feeling it gave me.

Yeah, something does seem a little..wrong...about pushing alcohol like that. And when it's the Presidente Margarita (I've been through that spiel) I always feel bad if I cut them off, but I just don't like margaritas...so then I feel bad if they go through the spiel and I know I'm gonna order something else anyway.

BN Cafes do the "Frappucino Festival" each year, and it's a contest between stores and, at least at my store, between the cafe servers within the store. So they are pushing frapps left and right. They are also expected to push pastries and stuff; it's one of the things on the secret shop questionnaire. Most people pick a product and if someone just orders a drink they follow with "would you like a (instert pastry of choice) or anything from the bake case today?" One more reason I was glad I wasn't cafe trained. I only ran register when they were desperate and then it was too busy to worry about.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

We're doing a promotion for charity pins at the cinema I work at part time. There's two contests going on too behind the doors (I dont tell the customers).

I like selling the pins. makes me feel good, the customers feel good and the kids get money. If I get the prizes (money or an Ipod, or both if youwin both prizes), then cool. If not? well, I tried

I dont push though. I ask 'Would you like to buy a three dollar pin for the children of Alberta? " if they seem like they're thinking on it, I say in my bright manner: They're Shiny! " or '"THey have a dragon on it!" and get a laugh at least. But that's as far as I take it.

At my other job I have to push selling the store Credit Cards... I'm working on that. Usually I ask if they have one, offer if they dont, then mentoin the 10 dollar credit they get if they open an account. Three steps, that's enough for me.
            Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

We do these fundraising things too. We are supposed to ask every customer that comes through if they would like to donate a dollar, or buy a t-shirt or buy a rubber bracelet, to help the fight against breast cancer, or prostate cancer, etc, depending on what the cancer of the month is. I hate it.

For starters, I shouldnt have to mention the word breast or prostate to anyone, bacause thats the only word they are going to hear anyways. Not only do I feel like I am pushing something on them, having to ask this each and everytime, in addition to Greeting with a smile, Anticipating Need, Offering Carryout, Thanking By Last Name, Making a Parting comment, and reading off all their Club Card promotions (If its bold it must be told) off the bottom of their receipt, its just TOO MUCH!

And they track us on how many donations we get, so if they see that we arent doing it, we get called to the office and spanked. I dont think any company should force this on its employees and threaten us over it. I mean, we have all this advertising and donation canisters and commercials blazing over the speakers. Some people actually get offended by being asked to donate.

I am about to pull the religion card and say I can't do it because my religion wont allow it........There is another checker who gets away with that. But they probably wont buy it from me.
              WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

I don't think it's fair to force employees to solicit for charity. It should be enough that you have it displayed near your register, and maybe point the customer to it in case they are interested. For one, what if it's a charity that the employee doesn't support for whatever reason, and two, I for one, don't tend to donate to those kinds of drives. Most people have the issues that are a priority for them to put their money towards, and there's only so much you can donate to. Having the employees push it can have the effect of making the person feel guilty because maybe it's just not in their budget and they'd rather put their money elsewhere.

I actually think it's better if volunteers from the charity are the ones doing the soliciting. During holidays, BN has gift wrappers from various groups that raise their own money and the employees are not involved. The store supplies the paper and other supplies, but the money all goes to the group. The only thing the store really does for charity that the employees are directly involved in is the holiday book drive, where the customer can get a tag from the display and choose a book for the age/gender on the tag. The books are collected at the register and distributed to (usually 2-3) charity organizations, like literacy volunteers or (in my one store) a tutoring/homework help organization run through my mom's church.

Comment

This is slightly off topic - but regards places of employment that require you to "push" or "sell" something extra to customers.
                  At my old job, I got constantly screwed over. My manager would constantly hold contests -- whoever could sell the most Ultimate Samplers got a $20 gas card. Whoever sold the most large sodas got a paid day off, stuff like that.

Problem is, he ALWAYS scheduled me on sandwiches, so I never had a chance to win ANY of the contests -- and I needed that $20 gas card! I drive a car that gets 10MPG. (4.25 kpl)
                  I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
                  less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I don't like to push anything on anyone. I will offer to get "something from the bar" for the table, however, that's it. I may make mention of the fact that we have a new margarita or point out the nice wine selection, but I have been standing near a table in another section with a different server who is just shoving the promotion down their throats and it makes me sick.
                    I would do the same thing and I always ended up doing better. If you gently push someone towards something, they'll usually go. If you tie a rope around them and try to drag them there, they'll fight you tooth and nail.

Our manager was a "drag them there" guy. I taught him the "gentle push" method.
                    "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

There's a company wide gift card contest every Christmas season. They have weekly winners and then the overall winner. The weekly winner gets a $25 gift card for every employee in the store, and the overall winner gets $100 for each employee (I think), but the winning store's manager gets the big prize--a trip, a car, a big entertainment center, stuff like that...

Comment

Working...
                      X