Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they can afford it, so be it. Walmart makes billions of dollars a year, $10-20 here and there won't hurt them.

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl
      If they can afford it, so be it. Walmart makes billions of dollars a year, $10-20 here and there won't hurt them.
      Yea, it comes straight out of MY profit sharing check. I got $600 last year. Under the new system I will probably get more, but only if these punks get nailed and our shrink stays low.
      "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Um, who is Michelle Connolly?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

$10 here and $10 there may not seem like much...but how many stores does Wal-Mart have in the USA alone? 3000-odd? If just half of those, say 1500 stores, let five $25 thefts just happen, in one week, that's almost $188k in revenue down the drain. Yes, WM makes billions, but do you really think they're going to just sit back and let those hundreds of thousands of dollars vanish into thin air? Of course not, they're going to claw it back from people like you and me, and from their suppliers. They're going to charge you and me more for our breakfast cereal and fish fingers, and pay Fred the farmer 5 cents less for his produce, kicking his family in the ribs as well.
          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
          - Dave Barry

Comment

Should we all just walk up to the register and tell the cashier not to ring up our first $25 of merchandise because we are going to steal that stuff?

Comment

Now, would this mean you only get prosecuted if you steal more than $25 in one attempt?

So a person could keep stealing and get away with it as long as he/she makes sure the total value of the items stolen is less than $25 each time? Is LP going to take the time to watch people and establish a pattern?

I agree, Wally World's shrink is going to go up big time once people find out they are shoplifter-friendly. And they'll try to make up for it by harrassing the employees (i.e. allege time theft if employees don't get back from breaks or lunches right on the minute they are supposed to.)
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth beercashier
                Should we all just walk up to the register and tell the cashier not to ring up our first $25 of merchandise because we are going to steal that stuff?
                good lord how many times do you think WM cashiers are gonna hear that in a day?

Comment

probably about as many times as I heard "hot enough in here for you?" on Monday when it was 100 in our store! People are lucky I am not armed.

Comment

Quoth beercashier
                    People are lucky I am not armed.
                    We have a cannon for hire...
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer
                      We have a cannon for hire...
                      I still want my crossbow
                      --AmericanZero8503--
                      Telling Stories from the Front Line a.k.a Customer Service at a Grocery Store

Comment

Quoth AmericanZero8503
                        I still want my crossbow
                        Or a "boomstick"....

Comment

Lowe's uses something similar to this. It's called RWD. Recovery without detention. It's been over a year since I dealt with this (having worked there) but I think the idea was that if you could get the shoplifter to ditch the item in the store; then you didn't bother them when they left.

Alternatively, if the alarm went off when someone went out the door, you were not allowed to stop them or even say anything beyond "Oh, would you like me to deactivate the items in the bag?" or in some cases "Here, let me hold that while you look for the receipt." And if they said "I don't have the receipt" or "Well, I was stealing that." your only answer could be "Ok." and let them leave.

Truth, is stranger than fiction.
                          Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Working...
                          X