This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology is hard. It's harder when you're stupid

I just love it when the idiots come to electronics before the electronics people have to deal with them.

Today's dumbfuck du jour was a larger, tattoo-bedecked guy, evidently wanting a 6-to-8 GB MP3 player (there's no such animal as a 6 GB MP3 player: there's 2 GB, then 4, then 8, 16, 32, and so on). So I show him our selection.

The cheapest 8 GB MP3 player, as well as all the others, has a video screen for watching movies or viewing pictures. This apparently ruled out that particular MP3 player, because he "didn't need all that shit." The packaging said there was room on the MP3 player for...some number of pictures (I'm guessing 4,000 but I'm probably wrong), a certain number of hours for videos, or 8,000 songs or so, and this completely threw the guy. I tried to explain to him multiple times that those were just indications of storage space, and that the player would work perfectly fine for just music; in fact he'd be able to get more songs on it because he wasn't using it for video. Each time he dismissed me with an "I don't need all that."

Then he wanted me to take a bunch of MP3 players off the locked peghooks so he could see if there was any specification for battery time. The one person working on the floor happened by, and I brought her over because she had the key for those hooks. So then she tried explaining the same thing about the storage space on the MP3 player and got dismissed again. "I don't need all that shit!" A distinct hint of "you're a girl so you can't know anything about this stuff" came through, because for the rest of the time I was stuck with him he only wanted to talk to me and not my co-worker.

Then he started ranting and raving about somebody he talked to over the phone at Wally World, saying this person lied to him about the battery time. As he was scouring the packaging of several MP3 players in an unsuccessful search for that information, the reason for the "lie" became clear: the manufacturers can't give a very good estimate of battery time and thus don't include this information on the package, so he probably just kept pushing and pushing for an answer from the Wally World person until he/she told him a number to get him off the phone. He asked me at least 6 times about battery time, and I couldn't answer his question with anything other than "it depends on how you use the player."

Finally he lets on that he rides his bike everyplace, he had been riding it for an hour and a half from the next town over to get to the swamp, and the MP3 player was for him to listen to as he was on his bike. Because things like traffic noise, train horns and emergency sirens shouldn't be able to invade his White Stripes, Black Keys or Silver Bells world.

Finally he just left, without listening to a word I said and without buying anything.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

If he is that stupid he will get what is coming to him.

I feel your pain on battery life. On any device the best you're going to get an approximation. It's like asking the guy at the gas station how far you can get on a full tank. There's just too many variables to give an accurate number.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I see Car-ma in his future.

And his future ain't pretty if he's wanting to use an MP3 player to block out traffic noises . . . .more like going out with a big SPLAT.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Ugh, I hated when people who obviously knew nothing in the slightest about electronics would try to talk over me when I was trying to help them pick things out in the electronics department I used to work in, most likely because I'm female and therefore must not know anything about anything related to technology. It doesn't matter that I've used many of the items I got asked about

You should have just led him to the portable CD player section (if you still have a selection), pointed to them, and walked away
        "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

i see a darwin award in his future or a prolonged hospital stay. either works.
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

What I think this guy wanted was a cheap, low-end MP3 player, only having a one-line digital display or similar, with 8 GB of memory.

Which he certainly isn't going to find anyplace in town. Heck, I question if such a thing exists without a screen for video.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              What I think this guy wanted was a cheap, low-end MP3 player, only having a one-line digital display or similar, with 8 GB of memory.

Which he certainly isn't going to find anyplace in town. Heck, I question if such a thing exists without a screen for video.
              It probably exists in China, home of the knockoffs.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

I'm not sure. Even the really cheap 2GB MP3 players we carried when I still worked at The Bullseye I think had screens on them. I don't understand the big deal, personally. My old 1st gen Nano even had a screen on it. I never used it, and it never bothered me that it was there. People are strange
                "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

One word to describe this SC: Neanderthal.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

My MP3 player doesn't have a video screen, just a very small screen that display song title/artist and the song time. I got it online at Amazaon. Yeah, it was cheap, but like the SC in the OP, all I wanted was something that played music. It's very small and compact, too, and can clip to my shirt if I want to wear it while I'm exercising and don't have any pockets. Then, again, I bought my player about 2-1/2 years ago. It's an older version of the SanDisk Sansa Clip. I don't recall off-hand how many GB it has.
                    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                      One word to describe this SC: Neanderthal.
                      And that would be considered an insult to Neanderthals.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I'm guessing that the item shown to him was an iPod?
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Nope, we didn't show him the ipods.

That's another thing--he didn't want to spend too much. He balked at 80-some bucks for an 8 GB Sony MP3 player. The ipod shuffle wouldn't have met his needs and the nanos have the screen--you know, shit he doesn't need.

Suffice to say he'd have found some reason to refuse those. Such as having to download iTunes onto his computer to use it.
                          Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM.

Comment

There used to be one that took SD cards. And there are now 8 gb sd cards.... so in theory that could work.

Still, the guy was a bit of an idiot.

Comment

I have a 1 GB MP3 player that has a small screen to show the music information. And the company that makes mine doesn't even produce mine anymore. So good luck to guy there.
                              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                              X