This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, that'll NEVER happen...

This story was told to me by a coworker.

b/g - We work in a retail store in an airport. This retail store happens to be a part of a huge corporation that consists of sunshine, rainbows, and talking animals (this corporation is also located in Florida, wink wink). Since we're part of this huge corporation that is known for kissing customer ass, our guests expect us to drop to our knees and beg their forgiveness if something doesn't go their way.

Sadly, this tends to happen most of the time. However, there are other times (like this upcoming incident) where the guest doesn't get their way and we in turn refuse to prostrate ourselves before them and try to make it all better. It can get pretty ugly when this happens. End b/g

We had a guest come into our shop and ask if we could cash out his $20 traveler's check. (Remember, this is an international airport, and he was most likely on his way back home and out of the country.) While the shops in the main parks will apparently do this, we can't. This is probably due to our having a much smaller amount of money on hand, so we can't just cash traveler's checks willy-nilly and expect to have money leftover by the end of the night. While I understand that it was "only $20", it's store policy. We simply can't do it.

My coworker told the guest about this policy. He became angry, and demanded to speak to the manager. Manager came out, told him the exact same thing ("Sorry, can't do it.") and explained that if the man wanted cash, he could purchase a small $1 item and get cash back. This was not good enough for our guest, so he proceeded to:

1. Demand for my coworker and manager's full names. (Not gonna happen. We can give out our first name, but NOT our full name.)
    2. Demand to know their personnel numbers. (Also a big no-no. Not gonna happen, buddy.)
    3. Yelled at both my manager and coworker (in front of a group of other stunned guests) that he was going to call corporate and have them both fired.

My manager told me later that if he gets fired for not cashing a $20 traveler's check, then leaving the company is for the best.

Edit: My manager wasn't fired, my coworker never got in trouble, and we never heard anything else about it. ;p
    Last edited by Moosenogger; 07-07-2011, 09:41 PM. Reason: Additional Information

...there is brain juice on my screen from when my head went 'splody.

I think I need an aspirin.

Welcome to the boards. Someone will get you a good stiff drink in just a moment.
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

First, a belated Welcome to CS! ^_^

Second...Might wanna tell yer manager to start looking now. If said company....uhm, let's just call it "Walter's"...is that bad about brown-nosing cursetomers, even when A, the Manager was simply *enforcing the policy he is required to enforce* and B, he offered a perfectly reasonable way for the guy to get (most) of his money, then yes, they probably will not hesitate to can a Manager who "allowed something as minor as this" to end up at Corporate level. >_< Of course, had he just gone ahead and cashed it, he would have been in trouble that way, as well.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes!

While this company may kiss ass all over the place, I highly doubted they'd do anything over this situation. At the most, they'd probably offer him a comp ticket or something - but to use something like that, he'd have to fly back to Florida. So basically he'd spend more money to use his "freebie" than it would cost him to simply suck it up and accept that the situation didn't go his way.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
          My manager told me later that if he gets fired for not cashing a $20 traveler's check, then leaving the company is for the best.
          Amen to that. I'm starting to feel that way about just about any job. There are some things I will do that I don't want to do because it's company policy, and there are other things I just won't do no matter what because it's against my principles or personal ethics. And if I do what I've been told is right and get reamed for it anyway, the company obviously doesn't give a rat's ass about me.

Welcome to CS, and as someone who lives in the Land of the Mouse, I feel your pain...many cookies to you.
          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I'd have to imagine another place in the airport would've given the customer cash for the traveler's check. Wow.

Comment

Isn't there a kiosk at the airport designed to take care of these situations? And welcome, fellow retail slave. I guess you could get in to the parks for free just like me... But only a certain 4-park combo, perhaps? ;-)

Comment

Quoth Lady_Pigeon View Post
                Isn't there a kiosk at the airport designed to take care of these situations? And welcome, fellow retail slave. I guess you could get in to the parks for free just like me... But only a certain 4-park combo, perhaps? ;-)
                I'm pretty sure he could have gone to another store and gotten it cashed. I'm not sure if the money exchange kiosk will cash things like that. (I do know they don't handle coins, so if most of your money is in pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters, you're screwed. A lot of our time went toward changing out coins for bills when it came to our friends from across the pond.)

Since I work for this corporation, I can get into the parks whenever I want. It's hella crowded at the moment, though. I'd rather wait until a day where I won't get run over by strollers.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                  Wise manager.
                  If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

To be honest, I'm not quite sure I would even consider that guy a customer, considering that... well, as far as I can tell from the OP, he wasn't even BUYING anything.

Bah to people who treat stores like their own personal bank/ATMs. :C

Comment

Quoth dutifulTM View Post
                      To be honest, I'm not quite sure I would even consider that guy a customer, considering that... well, as far as I can tell from the OP, he wasn't even BUYING anything.
                      Yes, best I could tell, he was trying to use that store as a currency exchange. Why no change it at home?
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth dutifulTM View Post
                        He actually refused to buy even a $1 item.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                        X