This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Line is where the other people are standing

I admit we don't have a clearly defined line-up place.
    Our cash desk is a long counter with registers spaced at certain intervals. There is a table with books in front of the desk, and people line up at the left end of the table, which makes sense as this is the end you would encounter coming from the store.
    I received a page that the desk was busy, and I came to help out.
    My register was furthest from the long line up, at the window.
    I told the person at the front of the line I would help them at the end.
    When I get to the end, a guy is standing at the end of the table by the window, looking pissed.
    I help 2 or 3 people from the actual line before I realize he wasn't waiting for someone.
    I wave him over and say 'Just so you know sir, the line starts over there.'
    He gets MAD.
    'How was I supposed to know the line starts there?!?!!?!? Everytime I come in here it's confusing!!! Where am I supposed to line up!??!! How am I supposed to know?!?!!? How does those other people know???'
    Uh...You know because everyone else is over there?
    He gets ranty as I ring his books up, saying everytime he's in here he can't tell where the line is...Yadda yadda...
    THE LINE IS WHERE ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE ARE STANDING PATIENTLY WAITING.
    I just tell him, 'Well now you know the line always starts there.'
    He leaves in a huff.
    I'm certain he just didn't want to wait.

I just wanted to say hi and welcome back BlueBerry.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled topic...
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Comment

ahhh...yes I know your pain!

I used to hate that too as where I was stationed there was no clearly defined area to line up, people would line up along the display cases (so that those who wanted to just look couldn't get through) or would attempt to make a line that was in front of the actual register. Normally, when it wasn't busy, I didn't mind at all, but when it was busy it was extremely hard to define who was first, and people would claim to have been their before the other person, and would get angry at you for "ignoring them" or would start going off at each other....I did attempt once to put up a sign stating that people should line up in FRONT of the register so that there was less confusion, but people then just claimed that they didn't see the sign and would ignore/or get angry at me when I asked kindly that they line up there as it made it easier AND FASTER for us to serve them!

Maybe just MAYBE if you put a nice sign saying "line up here", you can point and smile sweatly at the jerk nest time he comes in and has a rant hehehe
      I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

At Chesterfield, we had three registers, in an l shape, with two registers on the tall side, with one register hidden on the leg... such that there were two registers placed basically right on top of each other. That third register was only ever used during Christmas. Ever.

No matter. During the non-Christmas season, any time we had a rush night, we'd get customers attempting to bypass the line by going to the open counter, to my right. The line goes from the other register in use to the left, thus, where I would be looking. I'd get through the line first, pointedly ignoring the people standing to my right, until I at least finished the line. Only THEN would I turn to look at them, with a look of surprise. "You know, the line's over there..." *point*, "Or, it was..."
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Binky View Post
          Maybe just MAYBE if you put a nice sign saying "line up here", you can point and smile sweatly at the jerk nest time he comes in and has a rant hehehe
          A sweaty smile should do the trick!

(not making fun, just found that really funny!)
          Last edited by Ree; 11-06-2008, 09:41 AM.
          -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
          -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Memento Cheese

"'How was I supposed to know the line starts there?!?!!?!? Everytime I come in here it's confusing!!! "

He's a regular customer and hasn't figured out where the line is yet?
            Interesting...
            Did he resemble Guy Pierce and was he riddled with tattoos?
            ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth Binky View Post
              ahhh...yes I know your pain!

I used to hate that too as where I was stationed there was no clearly defined area to line up, people would line up along the display cases (so that those who wanted to just look couldn't get through)
              That's why I hate that BN has all kinds of displays in between the line and the registers. (There are ropes on the other side and a sign at the front so you can see where the line is, if you look.) But you get people looking at the displays and sometimes they are in line and not paying attention, or sometimes they're not in line and are really just looking at the display. So, either way, people get confused. If someone tried to cut, unless I actually saw it happen and knew who was there first, I'd usually just let the customers sort it out. And I'd tell them, I didn't see who was here first if they tried to get me to intervene.

And why is it always crabby old men who seem to do that trying to start their own line at the far end thing?
              Last edited by Ree; 11-06-2008, 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I hate that shit. I ignore people who try to cut the line...if they insist on interrupting anyway, I tell them, "I'm very sorry, but the line starts there..." and point. Freaking wait your turn people. It's not hard. Oh, and to all those "clever" customers who decide to start their own cue. I announce, "Please make ONE line that way! Then, we can serve you all faster!" If some douchebag ignores this request, he waits til the line is done. simple. This works 99% of the time.
                I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Or the people who would interrupt me working on ringing out the customer standing right in front of me, with piles of movies they want. You see those? They're buying stuff! If you bought that amount of stuff, maybe I'd be willing to answer your stupid little question that could've been answered by a two year old!
                  I'm busy ringing out someone who actually waited in line! See that?
                  It comes out Tuesday. Now get the hell out of my face.
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth BusBus View Post
                    A sweaty smile should do the trick!

(not making fun, just found that really funny!)
                    woops hahahah I alway do that! LOL
                    I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

Did he resemble Guy Pierce and was he riddled with tattoos?
                      Thanks for the coffee nasal flush!
                      Last edited by NightAngel; 02-13-2007, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X