X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Point?

Hi everyone ,

I thought I'd add another thread to tell you all something that actually made me lose my faith in humanity a little bit...

Anyway, I was serving a little old lady who's transaction had amounted to £3.97, and she paid with a £5 note. Naturally, I gave her £1.03 change, but what she proceeded to do was, without a hint of subtlety, slide the 1p coin into her purse and say:

SC: 'You've sort-changed me,' as her outstreched hand only shows £1.02 change.

Me: 'No Ma'am, I know I gave you the correct change. I even saw you put the 1p piece in your purse.'

SC: 'How dare you accuse of stealing 1p! I demand you give me another 1p right now!

Even though I am inside, I give her another 1p because I'm not going to argue with her for the sake of 1p.

But seriously, how pointless can you be? Are you priorities so screwed up in life that you feel the need to steal 1p as if you would somehow benefit from it? I don't know...

Stay tuned...
    'Luck, you are Awesome and Full of Win' ~ Jay 2K Winger

'Lets be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed' ~ Mark Twain

Unfortunately by giving it to her, you've proven to her (as others have before you most likely) that her scam works and that she can continue to do so. Believe it or not, they add up fast. Especially if she does that at every store she goes to.

Comment

You should have said 'Let me just get the police to review the security camera.'

Comment

Quoth LuckIsOnMySide View Post
        I thought I'd add another thread to tell you all something that actually made me lose my faith in humanity a little bit...

You still have faith in humanity? You clearly haven't been working very long.

I give it a month tops before your heart is as black and compassionless as the rest of ours.
        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
          You should have said 'Let me just get the police to review the security camera.'
          Remember the old Seinfeld episode??

Uncle Leo - "I'm an old man, I'm confused!"
          There Can Be Only One

Comment

Grahgh! It burns me that she did that. More so with older people, because they seem to feel that because of their age you shouldn't question them. Not all, but a good many that we all seem to have the joy of encountering.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
              True, but I was already having a really bad day, and I couldn't be arsed for the sake of 1p
              'Luck, you are Awesome and Full of Win' ~ Jay 2K Winger

'Lets be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed' ~ Mark Twain

Comment

"Tell you what, let me call the manager over and have him count down the till. If it's over by 1p, then you'll get another. Otherwise, enjoy your correct change that you received."
                Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Thinking about it now, the best way to avoid this in future would be to count out the change as you give it to customers, thus eliminating the "you shorted me by X.XX". Sure, it'll take a little longer but it's better than giving 'poor customer service' by shortchanging them, right?
                  Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

I've had ones like this. When I worked in a supermarket, sometimes things that would be reduced would scan through at full price. We would often have people come back for a refund, no problem mistakes happen. What annoyed me was a guy that came back and complained because his reduced milk had gone through at full price not reduced. The difference? 7p. Considering how long it takes on the till to sort it out - having to run a refund through (which requires a supervisor so you have to track one down), get the customer to sign the receipt, run it through at the right price again, it's not worth the time. I feel your pain!
                    My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

Working...
                    X