This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make ordering delivery food hard

Warning: Long. Ranty. Possible Foul language.

For most people, ordering for delivery is pretty straightforward: You tell us what you want and where you are, then we bring you food (which you can have after you pay for it). For many people, too many really, this is an undertaking frought with perils and traps. "How hard can this be?", you're asking yourself. Well, lets start off small.

You should, like, be home, or something

Like,seriously. (I'm gonna keep saying 'like' on purpose. Just like, my, like, customers, like, do.)
    When I said it should be there in about half an hour, your first thought shouldn't be "Hot damn, I should go to Bullseye right now!" or "I'm gonna go chill at my friend's house". When your girlfriend/wife/kids/roommate/whatever says you're not there, I'm just going to tell them to tell you to call us whenever you get home.

Call the wrong store

Generally speaking, we know when you've called the wrong place. Your address is out of our range, or it's a street we've never heard of (or we have heard of it, and it's not in this area of town). You can, however, trip us up by omitting little things. Such as:

1) North, South, East, or West. When you gave your address as 12501 25th St, we just sorta assumed you meant South 25th, since everything in this town is south (the demarcation being Main St in BigCitytothenorthofus). No, I'm not driving the 250 blocks from here to there.
    2) Which City. Ok, I'll admit, that's my bad. I just assumed that when you said 706 W 36th, you meant the 36th St in this town. It's not an unreasonable assumption, seeing as how you called the store down here. But.. you're in L.A. Downtown. Google maps says that's over 20 miles from here, and a 31 minute drive (and that 31 minutes is only accurate if the freeway is moving at 60mph, which, yeah, ain't happening).
    2a) Bonus round: I have no idea where you even got our number, lady, but San Francisco is 400 miles from here.
    3) Yeah, your apartment number would help. (Easily cleared up with a phone call. Well, with normal people.)

Get confused by the jargon we use in the industry

We use some fancy words sometimes, so let me define a few for you to avoid future confusion:

Delivery: This is where we bring you your order. One might even go so far as to say we deliver it to you.
    Carryout: This is where you come to us, and carry it out. It doesn't mean we "carry it out to you". We call that "delivery".

Hope that clears things up. If not, I can give you Competitors phone number. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you

Use the internet to order

So, you heard about this new internet thingy, this buncha magical tubes, and thought you'd try it out.

When I get there and you tell me I got your order wrong, I'm gonna have to disagree. If I had taken your order on the phone, it's possible I could have hit the wrong thing somewhere. If one of the dimwits I work with had taken your phone order, it's even more likely. In this case, however, you were the one who did all of the ordering. You were the only person involved, leading me to believe that perhaps you made the error.
    Kudos to the guy who went back in the house to grab his printout of the order, then said "See, I ordered... fuck..", and proceeded to apologise and give me a nice tip. I had a laugh with you, and even offered to remake it. Unlike mister "but I only wanted one" who ordered a 2-4-1 deal, then at the door said you only wanted one, but "it wouldn't let me take the other one off the order". I was more than amused when you threw shit fit when I told you that I'd be wliing to give you just one pizza, but the price would still be the same since the second one was free.

Have an aversion to phones

When you order, one of the things we ask for is your phone number. I'm sure that you think we do this purely for shits & giggles, or as part of a plot to send you emails for penis enlargement. The truth is we sometimes need to call you. A few reasons why that may be necessary:

1) I just pulled up to 123 Buttfuck Dr. It's an apartment building (even better: hotel), something you neglected to mention.
    2) You're at 123 BFD, apt 2. But the intercom is broken. Or maybe there isn't one. Either way, I can't get in.
    3) You work at Defense Contractor. We can't go past the lobby.
    4) You're on a boat in the marina. Those homeland security (or whatever they are) guys frown on us hopping the fence. Besides which, I don't know which boat is yours.
    5) I'm at your door. Your kids are yelling "Pizza! Pizza! MOMMY, THE PIZZA MAN IS HERE!!!" Yet you still haven't come to the door. After five minutes. Because "You didn't know the pizza was here".

Anyways... We know you have a phone. You called us. I'm now calling you. I've called you a few times in a row, thinking that the ringing may annoy you enough to answer. Apparently not. I am now leaving you a message that I'm here, and need you to call back. Ok, I'm now leaving the message that I've waited long enough and am heading back to the store, and to call us. I look forward to your call about an hour from now, where I will mention the multiple calls and messages.

Recent discovery: After trying the several calls/leave a message route, sending a text gets a response in under 30 seconds. I hate texting though, as it forces me to be polite about it. I said "Did you order pizza?" But that was only to avoid a situation where you come into the store to show my manager one that says "So, do you want this fucking pizza, or not? I don't like being in this ghetto-ass apartment complex after dark."

Pull an address out of your ass

When I was younger, one of the first things you learned was your address. This is so that if you got lost (or something) the police could help you get home. (It was a gentler era, before the invention of autotune.) It appears that this lesson, along with how to pull your pants up, or "don't have three kids before you're 18", was skipped at your house. If you're not sure, ask someone else. I'm sure they'll help. Or at least laugh at you for being a dumbass who doesn't know his own address. I'm good with either one.

Go for a combo

Why do one thing wrong when you could do two?

I've already alluded to not answering your phone when I'm there trying to make the delivery. But let's take it up a notch.

1) Order online. Carryout. Call asking why we haven't delivered it yet.
    2) Address doesn't exist. Don't answer your phone.
    3) Trifecta: Order online. We know the address is wrong, because a number that high would be 280 blocks into the ocean. Don't answer your phone, or check either of the two messages I left.

I could actually go on, but consider it rude to make your scrollbar shrink down that small.

that last one
    3) Trifecta: Order online. We know the address is wrong, because a number that high would be 280 blocks into the ocean. Don't answer your phone, or check either of the two messages I left.
    is quite terrifying. My brain prays that they were just drunk or stoned when they ordered.
    Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
    Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
    -Unknown Author

Comment

Quoth SarcasticJerk View Post
      (It was a gentler era, before the invention of autotune.)
      Rule 1 violation just occurred.... sounds like you might be related to Gravekeeper...
      Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
      TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth SarcasticJerk View Post
        . We know the address is wrong, because a number that high would be 280 blocks into the ocean.
        well maybe a mermaid wanted pizza?
        anchovies would be a dead giveaway...
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

It's baffling that people can't comprehend a process as simple as ordering a pizza, or even have the capacity to know their own address! Makes you wonder how they survived for so long without a functioning brain.

Seriously, if you're that dense, pick up the nearest piece of mail and read the address off of that. No, not the one in the upper corner, they don't need to deliver the pizza to Publisher's Clearinghouse, tell them the address in the center of the label. That's (presumably) yours.

I'd suggest looking at your driver's license or State ID, but you're so thick you might've put down the wrong address or forgotten to update it after your fifth move.
          Last edited by XCashier; 07-18-2011, 02:28 AM.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My oldest daughters bf delivers. mainly a pizza place with a few other dishes. Got a call a few months ago, couldn't find the address. called me to google it as he felt he maybe just missed it (he keeps an updated mapbook of the city streets in his car). now he's a little frustrated. so he asks me to google the phone number as no-one is answering. We're in Indiana. Soon as he says 617, I KNOW it's Boston (ok Mass - but it was Boston). at which point we know something is going on. So I google the store name, adding boston. yep one right there in roslindale. So DBF goes to the store and when the guy calls an hour later looking for his order, they ask, which part of (Indiana city) are you in as we can't locate your address. Confused guy hands phone to sober (or more sober) friend, who listens to question, apologies as they are in Boston, and without hanging up phone yells 'hey a*swipe, you ordered from a couple hundred miles away.'
            Last edited by Teskeria; 07-17-2011, 04:18 PM. Reason: change 0 to )

Comment

Okay, I learned my address when I was seven, maybe eight at the oldest -- I HAD to, just in case. Now I'll admit I can be a bit slow and stupid at times, but this is one of the lessons I learned as a kid that stuck, along with basic math and understanding of a "Buy 1 [or 2 or 3], Get 1" deal as well.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I could actually go on, but consider it rude to make your scrollbar shrink down that small.
                My scroll bar just told me it doesn't mind going on a diet, so carry on

Comment

I consider myself lucky that I remember little from my 8 month stint at one of the national chain pizza places.
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I just realized I'm within delivery distance of at least two pizza places. I'll remember your advice, because I just learned my address after being here over a month, and I'm sure I'd forget it while ordering pizza, unless I happen to find one of the sticky notes I have littered around the upstairs with the home address on it.
                    Another good thing to know:
                    Let the people who are likely to answer the door know you ordered food.
                    Because I live upstairs and I'm sure the other people here don't want a triple order of breadsticks, extra sauce.
                    Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                    http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
                      I'm sure the other people here don't want a triple order of breadsticks, extra sauce.
                      How do you know they didn't have the munchies and were just about to order that exact thing when the delivery guy reached the door?
                      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
                        How do you know they didn't have the munchies and were just about to order that exact thing when the delivery guy reached the door?
                        Because they always leave all the breadsticks and sauce for me?
                        Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                        http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

It appears that this lesson, along with how to pull your pants up, or "don't have three kids before you're 18", was skipped at your house.
                          You've met my neighbors!!
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
                            Let the people who are likely to answer the door know you ordered food.
                            THIS! When I was at 'Unclothed italian pie', I had one order where I knocked, and rang and called and ... you get the idea. THe Mom was a block away and had to bring her stroller with the wee kids back to pay me and get the food. Her teenage son WAS at home (the food was probably for him) but, in Mom's words, "he doesn't answer the door"...

Then why, exactly, did you feel comfortable STARTING a baby walk 5 minutes before the pizza was due to arrive?!

In my book, "doesn't answer the door" equates to "doesn't get to have anything that was delivered to the house". What a spoiled little shipmuncher x.x
                            Last edited by EricKei; 07-18-2011, 01:16 AM.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I will admit there was one time I didn't know my address. In my defense--I was 11, in sixth grade, we'd just moved from another state, and I was already nervous because this was talking to the police about how someone's Pokemon cards were stolen [they didn't suspect me, they just thought I might have seen something--and I did, actually ]. I had to admit I did not know my address, but I knew I didn't live very far from the school.

I like ordering pizza online. It's fun when it's the interactive pizza thing and you can see the toppings fall onto it.
                              "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                              "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                              Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Working...
                              X