This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Subway SCs and Idiots.

I have a lot of interesting stories over the last few days. It never fails that Subway brings out the stupidest/meanest of people. Like most of my posts there's going to be some language so I'm warning you now.

MORE Big Bill Woes.

I am so sick and tired of the big bill issue it isn't even funny. What is the point of having TWO signs in our store stating "NO BILLS LARGER THAN $20" when no one even sees/reads them. Another thing is that there is absolutely NO logical reason whatsoever to even have $100 bills in your wallet unless you are on your way to buy a brand new TV/pay an expensive bill or something. You have to actually go out of your way to get $100s because the ATMs even ask you what denomination you want your money in, and so does a bank, so why the fuck do people get them and then KNOW that most places won't take them/can't break them? It boggles my mind and I hate it.

A husband, wife, and a couple of their kids order some sandwiches and I'm the lucky one that has to ring them up. I tell them the total and the husband hands me a - you guessed it, a $100 dollar bill. FML.

Me: We actually don't take any bills over $20

SC: Well then I can't pay for it!

Me: We are not allowed to take bills higher than a $20, do you have a debit/credit card?

SC: Nope.

Me: (seething inwardly but since the order was over $20 dollars and it was kind of busy I didn't feel like holding my ground even on principle, which I usually do because I'm so passionately against the big bill assholes) Since the order is over $20 I will take it this time, but are really not supposed to.

SC: I don't see anywhere where it says you guys can't take bills higher than a $20.

Me: (Oh, not this shit again!) *Goes into my speech about how there are actually TWO signs in our store and the location of said signs which state this rule.*

SC: (more to himself than me as he was walking to the table to eat) I had this same problem at the gas station earlier today.

No shit, Sherlock! That's because no one likes to be inconvenienced by your monetary penis enlargers!

"That's Because You're Going too God Damned Fast!"

Yep. I reduced a grown man to throwing a full blown temper tantrum at me in the store because I was too efficient and fast for his tastes. Apparently he wanted to wait 25 minutes for me to do each of their 6 sandwiches one at a time or something.

Him and his wife come in and they have a list and say they want 6 sandwiches. (Oh, joy!) To be as efficient and fast as possible, (I also take this as a personal challenge to myself to keep me mentally occupied at work) I do multiple sandwich orders like this in sections. First I want all the breads. Don't even start telling me what the sandwiches ARE yet, I want breads only. Once I get past breads, then I have them tell me what each one is. After all the meats are put on, I want the cheeses, and so on and so on. Same with veggies. I'm gonna ask you if you want lettuce, etc on ALL of them because I do the "Process of elimination" method. It's fast and efficient as shit, and most people think it's awesome/or are shocked that I can actually pull it off.

SH= Sucky Husband
    W= Wife. She was actually cool and was on my side.
    Me = Me

It also seemed that everytime the husband opened his mouth, he was talking to me like I was stupid, which kind of pissed me off, and he also kept butting in when the wife was trying to tell me things.

Me: (after the breads are all out) Ok, what type of sandwiches are they ALL going to be?

W: (her list seemed pretty organized) Ok, the first one is a blah, the second one is a blah, the 3rd wheat is a turkey, and the 4th roasted garlic is a spicy.

Me: *just finishing the meats on the turkey and was about halfway done with the next spicy when the husband suddenly butts in*

SH: You put the wrong meat on that one! That meat is supposed to be where you put the turkey. (It's hard to convey his tone in text but he said it in a way that made it seem like there was a mechanical problem on a NASA space shuttle that started to spike my urge to kill rising meter.)

Me: *Without looking up I simply switch the meats in like half a second to prove to him it isn't a big fucking deal and continued on with the meats of the other sandwiches* (I also heard him whispering something bitchy to his wife and I knew it was about me, but I didn't give a shit.)

Me: Ok, what kind of cheese are they all going to have?

W: *Lists me the cheeses* Oh, the turkey and the spicy meats are actually on the wrong breads (AKA: Where the HUSBAND said I had them done wrong, and ordered me to change them, when they were already in the correct spots in the first place!) (the wife told me about the mix up in a nice way though)

Me: Oh, he (husband) told me a second ago that I had them wrong when they were that way. (Yeah, I admit, I *probably* shouldn't have said that but he had already pulled some douchy things so I said it as a form of revenge and to knock his self-importance down a few pegs.)

And this is where he loses his shit. He starts screaming expletives and shouting at me "That's because you're doing too God damn fast blah blah blah!"

Me: Look, I'm just trying to get these 6 sandwiches done as efficiently as possible. (But by that point he had already ran out the door before I could finish the word "sandwiches".)

When he had his cuss word filled tantrum there was a parent and some kids sitting down and eating. I guess they got a show with their dinner. Apparently he was outside causing a huge rage fit or something but I never looked outside. Me and Co worker just stared at each other with a "WTF" expression and then the wife said, "Oh, don't worry about him, you're doing fine." I told her that this was one of the first times I had ever had someone get mad at me for being fast. She just told me not to worry about him. I wanted to ask her "Why did you even marry someone like that?" but didn't because I needed her to be on my side because I know that dude wanted me fired.

Everything else went really smoothy at this point and we got all the sandwiches done and she wished me a better day when she left.

I still had the last laugh because his sandwich was the last one (a teriyaki), and before all the shit went down he said he did NOT want his sandwich toasted, and when my CW asked the wife if that one was toasted, the wife said "Go ahead and toast it. He gets what he gets." So it got toasted. And he also didn't get any sweet onion sauce on it because wife never specified any sauce for that sandwich. (usually it comes on it but since she didn't say anything I didn't ask.)

Larry Had a Little Lamb.

As I'm ringing up a customer's order, a guy comes in and my CW goes to help him. I don't remember exactly what he said but I overheard him saying he wanted the "lamb" sandwich. My CW told him that we don't have a lamb sandwich, and of course, he said "I just had it last week!"

I'm just looking at my CW and told him "We have never had a lamb sandwich." He mumbled something and left.

THIS. IS. SUBWAAAY!

A guy comes in and CW goes up to help him, and this is what he says.

Guy: I'll take a vanilla or a chocolate milkshake.

CW: Uh, we don't have milkshakes here. All we have is regular milk or chocolate milk in the cooler.

Guy: Oh........*leaves*

WTF. There is a Mc Donalds literally across from us that would have what he's looking for.
    My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
    My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Makes me glad I don't work there anymore. The number of people who tried to pay me with $100s was astounding. And don't get me started on the idiots who always thought every footlong was $5 period.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Those people definitely suck!!

One question, though, on big bills.... If a customer's bill is higher, like $35-$45 (like the guy with 6 subs who had a tantrum because you dared to have it ready in a timely fashion), would you take a $50 in that instance? The main reason *most* places don't like the larger bills is it is hard to make change for, and reduces the number of smaller bills available to make change for other customers... BUT if the change it would cause is less than $10 or $20, wouldn't it be the same as paying with smaller bills? (like paying with a $20 when your order is $5, or 3 twenties for a $44 order-- both of which most places accept without problems). Just wondering, as it would seem to me this type of situation could be acceptable... or if someone is getting a mass order for their office, gets 15 subs totaling $85, I could reasonably see them paying with Mr. Franklin. (same result as giving you 5 twenties) As far as robbery potential, it's just as easy to get robbed of a bunch of twenties as it is a single big bill, and big bills are just as easy to drop in the safe as a wad of twenties. Naturally, your customer is extremely sucky for developing an attitude about it and his order was small enough a $100 could definitely cause problems.

Now it is really mind-boggling how someone could complain you gave them their food too fast.... isn't that the point of going to a FAST-food establishment?? (or QUICK-service for the somewhat more high-end places) Of course, the name on the tin (CS) suggests there are types out there that could find fault in it.

Comment

Moon - my store won't take anything over $20 and it has NOTHING to do with change. We got too many counterfeit bills so now anyone trying to pay with a 50 or 100, regardless of total, is SOL.

Comment

Re: $100 bills: I used to do a lot of contractor work, and when I was getting paid anything more than a couple hundred dollars (there were multiple times I was getting paid over 1k), I got paid in hundreds.
          If I deposit it into the bank and get audited, I pay taxes. If my friend wrote me a cheque, he paid taxes.
          Not an ideal situation, but have you ever seen $1800 in 20's?

Comment

Back at Ye Olde Smoothie Shoppe we wouldn't accept anything over $20 both due to the change issue and counterfeitting ($100s were a HUGE problem in our area for a period of time). We didn't have a huge issue but it was always inevitable that Fridays mornings that someone would try to pay for a $5 or less bill with a $100 within the first hour.
            Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

I can understand not taking bills over $20. But as for the ATMs, the ones here do not ask you what denomination you want your cash in. I wish they did. But the machines don't give out $100s, and they only give out $50s when the amount you take out is $200 or more.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Change is sometimes a factor - mainly early in the morning or right after a shift change (if they assign 1 til to each cashier instead of sharing) - but most of the time it's OK as long as you don't get more than one such customer per hour or so.

As for taking a 50? If it were up to me (which it seldom is), I'd take it if the *change* I had to give out was under $20 (e.g., order is $35, I'll be glad to take a 50). However, the people who routinely pay with over-large bills seem to have a passion for coming in with them 5 minutes after opening --- repeatedly --- and then acting surprised when the cashier can't give them $96 change from their hundred after their purchase...

Robbery and counterfeiting are the major issues, really. Also, if you get a big bill mixed in with other bills, it could easily be counted as something smaller if it goes unnoticed.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth TowelKing View Post
                  If I deposit it into the bank and get audited, I pay taxes. If my friend wrote me a cheque, he paid taxes.
                  Tax fraud isn't really a good excuse to be sucky at a fast food place, methinks.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

All of this is reminding me of the time my till at [Overpriced Boutique Grocery Store] was *precisely* $100 short...They counted and recounted but no luck. Fortunately, I didn't have to pay it back, as the opening cashier the next day saw the $100 gift certificate I had taken in, but had to place under the til because it was too big to fit in any of the slots without mangling it. It had fallen into the drawer itself, we just didn't see it when swapping tils out for the day and none of use (myself included) thought to check.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Moon View Post
                      Those people definitely suck!!

One question, though, on big bills.... If a customer's bill is higher, like $35-$45 (like the guy with 6 subs who had a tantrum because you dared to have it ready in a timely fashion), would you take a $50 in that instance?
                      We would have no problem in that instance because the change would be minimal, but we would definitely check the bill first to make sure it isn't a fake.

We don't accept larger bills both for the change reasons and also because of counterfeit bills. That has been a big problem in my town over the last few years which is the biggest reason why the store owner implemented that rule. We've come across fake bills at my Subway multiple times already. Even some of the $20s.
                      Last edited by TheTigress; 07-18-2011, 05:20 AM. Reason: spell check
                      My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
                      My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

Every Subway I know of around here has those signs.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

At my dad's shop we take bills of all sizes, people seem to like it - but, we are also a mom and pop type run establishment so we can sort of do as we please. If we need change I get slapped with a huge wad of cash and run 2 blocks to the bank I haven't worked food service in some time, but I can imagine someone paying with large denominations would be quite the PITA vs. a retail situation with lots of high end stuff to sell.

Btw, as far as counterfeiting goes, I haven't bothered with the pen in years. If you are going to counterfeit money it'd better not be on acidic paper! I have 1-2-3-4 procedure now with my favorite ways of checking for counterfeit bills.

1. Look carefully at the paper. There should be blue and red strings of fabric woven in.
                          2. Scratch your fingernail across the artwork. Real money has a 'raised print' and you can feel it. If the bill is old and crumply this is difficult.
                          3. Check out the numbers - new currency is printed in color shifting ink.
                          4. Finally, Hold it up to the light - Look for the security strip AND the watermark to the right of the president's face.

Note, #4 sometimes offends customers or brings on the annoying "HUR DUR I JUST PRITNED IT THIS MORNING!" line. Don't worry, fuck em', you're doing the right thing.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                            Note, #4 sometimes offends customers or brings on the annoying "HUR DUR I JUST PRITNED IT THIS MORNING!" line. Don't worry, fuck em', you're doing the right thing.
                            This is an outright lie. There are only 2 money printing machines currently in existance and they're both made by Nintendo.
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                              This is an outright lie. There are only 2 money printing machines currently in existance and they're both made by Nintendo.
                              -RED ALERT-

I... can't... resist...

Comment

Working...
                              X