This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collection

This is a combination of things I've just forgotten to rant about in my last couple posts so these have happened over the course of several months.

Those aren't Free...

An old woman was walking out of the store and on her way out she just grabbed a map (maps happen to be the most expensive things we sell) and left. My CW was like, "Did you see that?" I said, "What?" She said, "That old woman just stole a map." Maybe she thought they were free but they DO have prices on them. It's not like they're not labelled with prices.

Why would a map be free? Are there places where this occurs?

Sandwiches

It's a commonly known fact that we throw away perfectly good sandwiches because they're not "fresh" anymore. We're not allowed to donate them to shelters or anything, they just go in the trash. Probably a good thing because by then they're all soggy and nasty even if the food is techinally still good.

The other day my CW was taking out the trash and right as he was about to throw a bag in he heard a voice. He looked in the dumpster and found a man just standing in the dumpster rooting around. Said he was looking for our old sandwiches but couldn't find any. CW just kinda stared at him and then turned around and left (that CW is a little weird anyhow).

I think I'd be a little freaked out if I found a person in the dumpster. I might have screamed.

Epidemic

This is becoming ridiculous. It's been a long time since Marlboro Mediums became Red Labels. Come on people, get with the program. My young coworkers can't be arsed to remember that what THEY know as "Red Labels" used to be "Mediums." Some guy literally yelled at my CW because she was hired after the switchover and had no idea what "Mediums" were. She kept going for the Special Blends (which, I will give her, has THE EXACT SAME FREAKING PATTERN AND COLORING AS THE RED LABELS) and he kept yelling at her. She was almost in tears trying to figure it out.

Stupidity is an epidemic. We're caught in the middle of it.

Counter = Trashcan

Guy gets a slip for the Deli order he's got. His order number is on it. He collects all the rest of his stuff but doesn't take the slip. I just let it sit on the counter because it's not mine and sometimes these stupid people will come back and take the slip with them because they realize that they might need it. When he comes back he says, "What's my number?" Looks at the slip, slaps his hand down on it but doesn't pick it up, and then lifts his hand and leaves after memorizing the number.

...Why didn't you take your slip? They have a place for them. It's a little bucket. Do I have a little bucket here? Do I have a hole in my counter for trash? No? Well then it doesn't belong there does it?

I slapped my hand down on it so hard he looked over and then I slid it to the floor behind me. It would get swept up later but I wanted him to know exactly what I thought about him leaving that on my counter. I kinda do that a lot, just throw things behind me over my shoulder when I don't need them anymore. Or like when someone says "100s" when I'm already up at the counter with the shorts, I'll turn around and just toss the wrong one somewhere random. It almost ALWAYS gets a "sorry about that" from the people at the counter. It's not like I'm throwing them hard, I'm just tossing them (because I'm in too much of a hurry to actually put them back in their individual slots) but for some reason this illicits a response.

I like it...

Shorts

Old man over 60. Red spandex shorts. Shrinkwrapped junk.

You want...what?

Two men allegedly are going to a car auction and need a money order. I dunno, I don't care. I don't give one iota of crap about what you want to do with your money order(s). What we do care about is the fact that you want a 7000 dollar money order.

...Hah. We only do MOs in increments of 500 dollars. That's 14 MOs, that's over 30 dollars in MO fees plus we need all your IRS information so we can even process the sale.

No, doing it all in separate transactions will not change this. This is a customer over the day kind of thing, not a single transaction thing. Plus you would tie up two people (two registers) because one would have to be printing the MOs and the other would have to be dropping all the cash you'd be handing over into the safe one bill at a time.

This would take about 20 or so minutes to complete if not longer and...oh, your auction is today. Seems like bad planning.

Well, you know what we say about a lack of planning here...

They never did get their MOs. They left because they didn't want to pay the fees. The whole thing seemed really shady anyhow. Why would you think to get 7000 dollars worth of MOs at a GAS STATION?

Quoth Gaki View Post
    Sure. In 1971.

And I concur w/ your assessment of the MO guys. Maybe laundering counterfeits? Who wouldn't go to a bank for that?

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post

We have free maps at the hotel for guests. Of course, they are small, only show major roads, and are covered in lots of advertisements. Many in our brochure rack are actually graphic maps rather than a standard road map, with strong emphasis on the locations of the sponsors. But...even most of my guests understand the difference between our little freebies and a real roadmap. (Hint: the ones you pay for are nicer and more detailed and cost money.)

The MO was definitely shady. That's something you'd go directly to a bank to process, at least that's what a sane person would do.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
        Well....Disneyworld.
        It makes sense.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
          Shorts

Old man over 60. Red spandex shorts. Shrinkwrapped junk.
          Look at ALL my wrinkles!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

1) The only place around here that I know of to get free maps are the DMV or in rest areas along the Interstates

2) We throw a lot of food in general away. Thank goodness the only dumpster diver we have is our local not-all-there can collector, who has full permission from the city to do so, and cleans up after himself.

3) I still get people all the time saying lights, ultra lights, etc. Also...WHY did they make Red Labels and Special Blends look identical??? WHY???? FAIL, MARLBORO!! FAIL!

4) If I threw cigarettes around intentionally I'd be reprimanded. Your bosses must be cool with it though. Either way, I like how you handled that. People need to learn that floor/counter/random place hidden between things does not equal trashcan!

5) Ugh...I'm gonna go vomit now. Again...why? I know it's hot out but WHY??

6) $7,000? Yeah, big time fishy there. I'm thinking counterfeit bills and/or money laundering. Either way, it's a good thing for you and your store that they left!!
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Like BrenDAnn said... only directly from the State... either by calling their 800 number/requesting through their website, or at select rest areas with a Visitor Center. Everywhere else? Cough up the cash.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                Why would you think to get 7000 dollars worth of MOs at a GAS STATION?
                I'm guessing money laundering.
                If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Was somebody able to catch the old lady outside to get the map back?

Comment

If you had $7000 in cash and were going to buy something....why wouldn't you just take the cash??

I was in line once at the post office and some guy at another window wanted over $3000 in a postal money order. He didn't like that he had to fill out a form to do it, and left. I heard one of the workers telling another that she had gone outside and gotten his license plate number, although who exactly they were going to give it to, I dunno.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I always thought the limit for forms being required was $10K... I wouldn't like having to fill out a form either, but to say much more would be fratching.

Comment

As to why you would take a money order over cash: To cover your ass.

After all, if they give you a wad of cash, there's no way to prove that it wasn't, say, $60 short or to protect against an accusation of theft. If it's a money order then both sides are absolutely covered for how much money actually switched hands.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Moon View Post
                          I always thought the limit for forms being required was $10K... I wouldn't like having to fill out a form either, but to say much more would be fratching.
                          It's $10,000.01 for cash and $2,000.01 (or maybe $3,000.01?) for money orders/instruments. Don't know why.

My favorite take on that was a customer who outright told us he wanted to stack the transactions "so that the IRS wouldn't know". Ummmm, now we not only have to report that you took more than $10,000 in cash but that you intend to try to avoid reporting too. Double fail.
                          My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

[QUOTE=Gaki;924468]This is a combination of things I've just forgotten to rant about in my last couple posts so these have happened over the course of several months.

This is becoming ridiculous. It's been a long time since Marlboro Mediums became Red Labels. Come on people, get with the program. My young coworkers can't be arsed to remember that what THEY know as "Red Labels" used to be "Mediums." Some guy literally yelled at my CW because she was hired after the switchover and had no idea what "Mediums" were. She kept going for the Special Blends (which, I will give her, has THE EXACT SAME FREAKING PATTERN AND COLORING AS THE RED LABELS) and he kept yelling at her. She was almost in tears trying to figure it out.

Stupidity is an epidemic. We're caught in the middle of it.

Thank you! I hadn't worked cigarettes since this change happened and I've been trying to figure out what the heck the Red Labels were!!! I bow to your wisdom

Comment

ohh i hate the red label/special blends thing. we have a newer employee and she keeps mixing them up!! arrrrrrrrrrrrgh blargle. that being said, they actually say "red label" on them...so there is no reason to mess it up!

Comment

Working...
                              X