Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One possible explanation for the money order versus cash thing: Many states have anti-drug laws that include the cops being able to confiscate large amounts of cash being carried on-person. The amounts vary from state-to-state, but getting that confiscated money back is less likely than cold fusion being discovered in my cereal bowl.

But for that kind of money, they really needed to be going to a bank or western union if they're legit.

One other , more devious, thought: They know the gas station has little security. So they get $7k in money orders, then have some buddies rob the gas station a little later. They get the cash back, plus whatever else the station had at that point, and they have the money orders to deposit back and get the money. An easy $7k payday, if they don't get caught.
    Last edited by Geek King; 07-19-2011, 03:54 PM.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
      One other , more devious, thought: They know the gas station has little security. So they get $7k in money orders, then have some buddies rob the gas station a little later. They get the cash back, plus whatever else the station had at that point, and they have the money orders to deposit back and get the money. An easy $7k payday, if they don't get caught.
      Oooh but then the guessing games begin. Which safe did we put it in? Or did we split it up between the three? You can really only fit one in the back of a van/SUV.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
        Why would a map be free? Are there places where this occurs?
        Despite everyone saying no, the answer is actually yes. Generally speaking, in tourist towns. There are tons of free maps here in KW, for example, generally made by the various watersport companies. We hand them out freely at our bar. They have ads and coupons around the border, sure, and they're not precisely to scale (they're graphic/cartoonish maps, and my old street is not even listed on them), but they are damn handy for tourists. And there are several version from several companies floating around.

By the way, if the maps are the msot expensive thing your store sells, perhaps they should not leave them right by the door, where people might think they are there for the taking. As that generally is where most free maps are located. Just a thought.

Quoth Gaki View Post
        This is becoming ridiculous. It's been a long time since Marlboro Mediums became Red Labels. Come on people, get with the program.
        I had no idea. Of course, I neither smoke nor sell cigarettes, but many years ago when I was engaged to The Brit, she smoked Marlboro Mediums. Of course, since I haven't even seen her in years, I would have no reason to know about the changeover. But still, not all of us know his. Admittedly though, anyone who smokes the fuckers should know.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
          Oooh but then the guessing games begin. Which safe did we put it in? Or did we split it up between the three? You can really only fit one in the back of a van/SUV.
          They're going to know exactly where it goes. You said yourself that someone else would have to spend quite some time feeding cash into the drops. With a bit of forethought, they can remove the drop before it gets pulled and transferred.

On the other hand, no one said they were very bright, either. I still wouldn't want to get robbed, stupid criminal or smart.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Why do the dummies always think that they will never be noticed by the IRS?

I was a cashier and even I had to take a CBL on money orders and how they are reported after xxx or xxx and if using cash over xxx amount would be reported. And that's even if they're split into separate transactions.

Maybe these people have never worked a retail job.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I used to have a small collection of road maps (still do, somewhere). Way back when, the major gas chains used to give out free maps. Real maps, detailed and to scale, with all the roads on them (though not usually to street-level detail), and with the locations of all their gas stations in the state clearly marked (of course). Mobil was a big supplier of these (I have one that's so old it still says Socony on it); likewise Exxon (or Esso, depending on age), Amoco (American); Gulf, and so forth. Most of these maps were made to order by either Rand McNally or Geographia; pretty much the same as the ones you got at the AAA (which were also free, if you were a member).

Comment

I also have a small collection of gas station road maps, including 1930 maps of New England and New York put out by Socony (Standard Oil of New York), and one by Amoco of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia that is undated, but it has pictures of mid-1920s cars on it. And also a 1930 AAA map.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  And also a 1930 AAA map.
                  I have seen in the Public Vault, in the basement of the Passaic County courthouse, a 1915 road atlas of New Jersey and surrounding areas, published by the "American Automobilists' [sic] Association". There weren't all that much in the way of roads outside the major cities then, and what there were, were probably unpaved. Interesting document to look at.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                    Why would a map be free? Are there places where this occurs?
                    Cracker Barrel restaurants give out free maps, updated maybe twice a year. Shows new locations. I just picked up a new one to plot my trip back East. CBs will let us park in their parking lot over night so long as we eat dinner the night before and breakfast the morning after with them.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    Look at ALL my wrinkles!
                    *Covers eyes* EW! Oh, oh Dalesys, I really did NOT need that! Ew ew EW!
                    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

As far as the dumpster diver goes I have to say I know a good friend who had to resort to this to support his family during a really rough time a few years ago. It wasn't stealing and it did the job. He was actually bright enough to work the upscale grocery dumpsters, bring home organics that were for all real purposes perfectly good, and build real nutritious meals. Of course being down on his luck didn't come with the usual addition of substance abuse in his case, which helps.
                      "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Working...
                      X