This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back off Buddy!

I work in a supermarket and have done for about 6 years. Given the length of time I've been there, the regular customers get to know the staff. I was in shopping recently, not in uniform, with my husband (who was looking at stuff further down the aisle).

I passed by one of our regulars, nodded hello and went on my way. The next thing I feel a hand grabbing my arm and pulling me back. I turned and it was the regular. He started babbling that he needed my help to find something. I told him that I'm not working and if he walked to the end of the aisle there were two or three staff members who could help him. Not good enough for our sucky regular. He tightened his grip on my arm and said something to the effect of "I pay your effing wages and you WILL help me"

Cue husband - (over six foot tall and built like a brick wall) Hubby knocked the guys hand off my arm advising our sucky friend to "get your hands off my wife." Sucky customer starts prattling to which hubby states "Mate, she's not working now eff off and annoy someone who is actually being paid to listen to your shit"

Our sucky friend slinks off and we think that is that. But no. He complained to a manager. Who told him that putting his hand on someone is assault. He complained some more. Manager asked him what he did for a living. He drives a taxi. Manager asks him to take him to local town. Sucky customer says to I look like I'm working? Manager asks, did my colleague look like she was working? Haven't seen him since.

Hooray for your manager! And kudos to your hubby for showing such restraint and not beating that guy to a pulp.
    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Your manager is awesome! That SC was a total jerk.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Good way for your husband to show some restraint too. Who knows if that guy would have been having to use his feet to steer...

Comment

Good job on the manager for turning that around on that asshole.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

What the hell is wrong with people? When you are off the clock...he is not paying your salary at the moment. and what makes him think he can just grab someone, working or not? And kudos to your husband for not beating him to a pulp.

Comment

My husband would have cut both of the guys arms off for touching me. Nobody touches me.
              That guy's lucky you didn't pursue assault charges.
              Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
              http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

VERY nice counter by your manager!

CS.com agents will be coming around to collect your manager's DNA for... experimentation.
                "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

OMG your manager is awesome! Somewhere in our company rules is something along the lines of, always be courteous and assist customers even if you are off the clock. I think the intent was, if you are clocked out for day, walking to the front of the store on your way out. And I usually do if it's easy and not out of my way. I'm not walking someone to the pharmacy from produce if I'm going home. I think it's bull, but I don't want to get yelled at.

Anyway, if I was shopping with my husband and someone dared grab my arm like that, he probably wouldn't have shown that kind of restraint. I'd have to bail him out of jail unless I ended up going with him for punching the person myself. I simply avoid the issue by not shopping at my employer on my off day. I prefer shopping at Kroger for everything but produce and hamburger.

Comment

That's why I avoid eye contact with people when I'm off the clock, and keep moving.

Quoth laborcat View Post
                    Somewhere in our company rules is something along the lines of, always be courteous and assist customers even if you are off the clock.
                    I wonder what the labor board would have to say about that policy?
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                      I wonder what the labor board would have to say about that policy?
                      The union rep told us that once off the clock, we're off the clock. Like I said, I will tell someone where something is if it's not out of my way. Yesterday I was on my cell phone walking toward the door to leave and a woman started asking me something and was all, What? and she said I'm sorry I thought you worked here. I just walked on.

I think it's more an image thing, to not have customers think that we're still on the clock and just being rude. They can't make me be nice when they're not paying me, but I try to not be a bitch about it either. I don't mind telling someone where the peanut butter is or where the fitting rooms are. I won't take them there, though.

Comment

Asking you to be nice when in off the clock (say, headed home) is not too unreasonable. Asking you to do any WORK *is*. It's also illegal in most places, even if you're willing to do it.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth shelly2jn View Post
                          Our sucky friend slinks off and we think that is that. But no. He complained to a manager. Who told him that putting his hand on someone is assault. He complained some more. Manager asked him what he did for a living. He drives a taxi. Manager asks him to take him to local town. Sucky customer says to I look like I'm working? Manager asks, did my colleague look like she was working? Haven't seen him since.
                          That guy was full of shit. He wants you to help him while you're not working but he doesn't want to work while he's off? Who did he think he was fooling with his thinking? If he grabbed me like he did to you, he would've gotten hurt. I'm not a big guy but I can handle myself. It would be clear self defense with security cameras catching everything.

Comment

Since I usually wear polo shirts or shop as soon as work is over, I am sometimes mistaken for an employee at some places. If you are polite, and I know where it is, I'm happy to help. If you are rude, or I just don't know, I have no problem telling you so.

SC
                            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Yeah, I'm sorry, but the minute you punch out, you are no longer being paid and if you are no longer being paid, you are no longer obligated to do anything for anyone.

Unless you're a salaried employee, that doesn't fly.

And yeah, your husband has way more restraint than mine would have. Heck he has more restraint than I would if someone grabbed my spouse.

Someone puts their hands on my husband, my field of vision instantly narrows into a tiny pinpoint which is the Event Horizon of A Very Bad, Very Violent Scene. I know this from personal experience. I tend to lose my freaking mind. It's like my absolute biggest button or something. I am very laid back most of the time, but it's like a switch goes off where the husband is concerned.

Nobody's ever threatened or touched my kid in a threatening manner, because I bet if they did, it would be even worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X